2nd Oil cooler not good for track? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
So are you able to achieve oil temps in the 220-250 range with your new setup, while simultaneously keeping water temp < 200?
Sorry to be so late with my reply but I somehow missed your earlier post/question.

The new radiator/laminova setup designed by Brent Bauman and sold thru VSA is working great -- this is a track car setup with no fans. For the red car, tracking/Lotus Cup racing in 100+ degree ambient days has oil temps hitting a maximum of 220 and water temps are no higher than 180 degrees. Problem (if you want to call it a problem), is that the water cooling system is so efficient that on cool days (where ambient temps are below 70 degrees), we need to block off air flow to the radiator to keep coolant temps above 160 and avoid the 6500 rpm rev limiter -- no problem getting oil temps up to a safe level. We always warm/run the engine before going on track and check operating temps when first running on track before pushing hard. I can get water up to 185 in the pits, but as soon as we get some air flow thru the radiator, water temps drop quickly.

A few photos showing my impromptu "cool weather" setup (we've improved upon the duct tape method for the future ) during our last LCUSA event at Spring Mountain.....this allowed me to achieve 172 and 208 water and oil temps, respectively. It also help make for an overall race winning car.
Attached Images

Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars