Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
New race car direction = LS7 in a Lotus; please read and comment
Winter is coming in Canada.... just like summer in Texas, one cannot go racing. So racer's minds turn to race car building and refinement....
I know Henessy did it, but it is NOT a race car.
I have done a Honda K20 conversion. I am happy with the result. I am afraid that the transaxle is the weak point and will give me problems. Then I am faced with an upgrade expense of L11k = USD$18k minimum for EliseParts or more from Xtrac, etc.
If my target is 500 to 600hp with potential for 800 tractable, reliable hp, then why not extend the wheelbase and mount a longtitudonal drive-train.
For the 600hp, I would need:
1. Used LS7 motor $6k. I would make sure it came with a clutch and all dry-sump gear. All internals are forged. There is lots of aftermarket.
2. Cam, exhaust and fitting $3k.
3. Porsche, Mineola, Rockland, Ricardo, etc. transaxle $10k + slave/concentric cylinder.
4. Labor to extend the rear sub-fram. Mine is all tube-frame, already, so I just need to work the lower a-arms.
5. Labor to extend the body. Mine is all custom, so maybe I just make a 'straight' insert in front of the wheel wells.
6. Custom axles from drive-shaft shop, $1k, since I already run Corvette hubs.
I am at 20k. Almost the same as the transaxle! If I want to get more power, then a small blower, including the stock ZR-1 will do nicely.
Now what is the downside:
1. Another 200lbs in the rear of the car.
2. What is the impact of longer wheelbase?
3. I have to make sure that my price for transaxle is correct. I have just 'seen' stuff float by on the internet...
Looking at this, I think about the Honda investment:
1. Sleeved Motor (long block) $5k
2. Trans $2k
3. Clutch CC - $2k
4. Head work and parts $4k - probably overkill.
5. Turbo/BOV/WG $2.5k
6. Dry sump $3k
7. K-pro $1k
8. I got a good deal on the mounting kit with the chassis.
9. Custom axles $1k
Again, about $20k. I certainly think, I could recover a fair chunk of it to put forward to the LS7!
Am I crazy? or foolish?
At this point it is just a thought,