New race car direction = LS7 in a Lotus; please read and comment - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

In this case, install a transaxle from a Porsche Boxter with a close ratio 6 speeds kit matched with your Honda engine. It is not that hard to do an adapter plate between motor and transmission. The more difficult is to build the clutch from the Honda to suit the depth of the Porsche bellhoosing. For the clutch disc, you just need to take the Honda, remove the hub and install a modified hib from the Porsche. My brother and I did it for his Duratec engine matched with the Porsche transaxle.

If you have a very clore ratio 6 speeds, your hp will be great with or without torque at low rpm. If you can find a ratio between the first and the sixth of 2.5 or less, it should be great. Only for that, with body and frame modif, it will cost more than 20k for sure (time: 12k, exhaust: 1.5k, gearbox: 2k, gearset: 5k + extra). But the weight will be similar with more weight to the front, your actual suspension should work.

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #22 (permalink)

Looks like it is mostly going to be a fun project for you. This guy, as well as many others have dropped an LS1 into their Miata. I understand the complete cost for the build is 10k, but that's a front engine rear wheel drive layout.

http://youtu.be/A1OO8GGgwZs

The F 430 must have been like, whaaaat the hell did that little Miata have for breakfast? Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

02 Wrangler Sahara. 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33" tires. Different tool for different job
LotusCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusCC View Post
Looks like it is mostly going to be a fun project for you. This guy, as well as many others have dropped an LS1 into their Miata. I understand the complete cost for the build is 10k, but that's a front engine rear wheel drive layout.

LS1 Powered Miata Vs Ferrari F430 - YouTube

The F 430 must have been like, whaaaat the hell did that little Miata have for breakfast? Lol.

The difference between dropping an ls1 into a miata and an ls engine into an Elige is night and day. Far far more difficult and expensive to do it in the Elige.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #24 (permalink)

I know

02 Wrangler Sahara. 3" suspension lift, 1" body lift, 33" tires. Different tool for different job
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #25 (permalink)

Hi there folks...
Firstly, great idea, but like most things connected with the Elise platform since 1996, it's been done :-)

Check here ://www.caral.co.uk/Lotus_111_Series.html

If you're serious about doing it, save yourself a shed load of R&D / fabrication etc & contact Caral. But the comments above are right, don't expect to do this 'cheap'...I'm sure if you already have a fully sorted, big Honda power Elise, a gearbox from EP will be the cheaper option.

The Caral LS conversion involves a unique rear subframe, completely different suspension, brakes, bodywork, AUDI transaxle, larger wheels & tyres, the list goes on....it would be easier to say only the central tub, windscreen, doors & interior remain original Lotus. On this basis you have a very different car, along the lines of an Ultima / Factory 5 GTM etc

The issue with major Lotus 111 conversions is by the time you've covered all the bases, you could have bought a car off the shelf that's closer to specification of what you wanted to build. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

Did someone say Factory5 GTM?
Based out of my home state of Massachusetts.

https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/gtm-supercar/

Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageshelin View Post
Winter is coming in Canada.... just like summer in Texas, one cannot go racing. So racer's minds turn to race car building and refinement....

I know Henessy did it, but it is NOT a race car.

I have done a Honda K20 conversion. I am happy with the result. I am afraid that the transaxle is the weak point and will give me problems. Then I am faced with an upgrade expense of L11k = USD$18k minimum for EliseParts or more from Xtrac, etc.
to be blunt, it's going to cost you a **** load more to fit an LSx engine.....
Simon S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #28 (permalink)

I think the neatest motor would be an LT5 out of an original Corvette ZR-1. It was designed by Lotus so this way you're getting V8 power, but keeping it in the family.
LiveToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars