Which Yokohama Compound Slick - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Which Yokohama Compound Slick

Hi Gang,

Ordering slicks for my 07 255 Cup. Here are my compound options.

Soft S00, S01, S02 & S04 Hard

I'm an advanced driver and only use the car for lapping fun, so tire life is important to me. However, I don't want it to be so hard that the car is to slow and I embarrass myself.

I corded S00 compound set in 3 sessions last year (so that is a no go). They have S01 in stock, but its a short wait for the S02 & S04. Anybody try S01 vs. S02 vs. S04 that can share their experiences as far as speed vs tire wear? Will S01 hold up well for me or should I wait for S02 or S04 compounds?

Thanks,
Matt
chicagomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomiller View Post
Hi Gang,

Ordering slicks for my 07 255 Cup. Here are my compound options.

Soft S00, S01, S02 & S04 Hard

I'm an advanced driver and only use the car for lapping fun, so tire life is important to me. However, I don't want it to be so hard that the car is to slow and I embarrass myself.

I corded S00 compound set in 3 sessions last year (so that is a no go). They have S01 in stock, but its a short wait for the S02 & S04. Anybody try S01 vs. S02 vs. S04 that can share their experiences as far as speed vs tire wear? Will S01 hold up well for me or should I wait for S02 or S04 compounds?

Thanks,
Matt
Hey Matt,

Very interesting news that there are S00 and S02 compounds in 16"/17" sizes for our Lotus.

We have never seen Trackside (Yokohama's exclusive distributor in the States for Advan slicks) bring in compounds other than S01 and S04 in our sizes (190 and 230). Only exception was the endurance slick (S05) which came stock on the Cup255 from Lotus, but it was proprietary to Lotus and could only be purchased through Lotus dealers back in the day. No longer in production AFAIK. I'm currently checking/verifying with Trackside but doubt my info is inaccurate, as I've been buying slicks from Trackside since 2008.

Having said that and having run both S01 and S04 compounds, S01s will obviously not last as long as the S04s (especially if ambient temps are above 85 degrees F.) but are probably worth ~1 to 1.5 seconds per lap over the S04 compound -- comparing the golden laps for both. However, assuming you're running adequate negative camber and proper pressures, the S01's will definitely last more than 3 heat cycles before they cord ... probably closer to 10-14 heat cycles depending on how hard you drive.

Just my 2 cents.
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks

Thanks Jack,

Looks like its the S04s for me. It must have been S01 that I trashed last year from Trackside, as I just ordered soft's and smoked them. In defense of the compound the car was still getting sorted at the time, but it was not that far off.

Regards,
Matt
chicagomiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus "Track" and Racing Cars