The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

1988 Esprit Wiring Diagram?

6K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  hbferrariguy123 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me where I can locate on line a wiring diagram for a '88 Esprit? I found a trail of messages where there is/was one but was unable to copy or print it to a size I could read. When I attempted to enlarge it it became too distorted to read. Thanks!

#3 ·
Hi Eddie, I'm looking for the diagrams that will illustrate the wires going to or coming from the steering column control arms. The two arms on either side of the column just behind the steering wheel. They control the headlights, horn, turn signals, etc.
I didn't buy the harness from your old car but did get the arms from Slava8 as my car didn't have them when I bought it. Because of all the modifications to my car I decided it would be easier to fabricate a harness from scratch to fit my needs. It's a tedious job but kinda fun! I'm almost done routing all the wires so it's getting time to start connecting and testing each one.
Lou

#4 ·

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks Eddie! Any diagram that shows the wires (and their colors) will help me tremendously when I'm connecting my wires to the switches. Thanks so much!

I do have some updated photos but honestly have been reluctant to post them as I will certainly piss off some people on this site. With all the mechanical and body modifications to the car I'll be chastised by those that feel these cars, especially an S1, should be preserved to when it left the factory. As you know, after seeing the car it is far from factory correct. With that said maybe I'll post a few photos and hold on for any unkind comments.

Remember, I bought the car in pieces after most of the modifications were already started. I'm just finishing them and will be happy to have another Esprit on the road that would have most likely gone to the scrap yard if I didn't buy it. And I will say, if I may, the car is looking very nice!

So, give me a few days and I'll post a few photos of the car with it's progress as of today.

Lou

#7 ·
Hi Lou:

I personally would not worry about any unkind comments - it's your car - live it the way *you* want.

The car was in pieces and what you did since then is a pure resurrection that few, if any, would attempt.
A reminder of what the starting point looked like:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/buick-v8-s1-esprit-348538/index2.html#post4624385

I am totally impressed with your determination and the fun you're having rebuilding that car.

So sad that I've been busy at work; we missed our yearly trip to Formula Drift and Huntington Beach (in your 'hood). :)

[snip]

I do have some updated photos but honestly have been reluctant to post them as I will certainly piss off some people on this site. With all the mechanical and body modifications to the car I'll be chastised by those that feel these cars, especially an S1, should be preserved to when it left the factory. As you know, after seeing the car it is far from factory correct. With that said maybe I'll post a few photos and hold on for any unkind comments.

Remember, I bought the car in pieces after most of the modifications were already started. I'm just finishing them and will be happy to have another Esprit on the road that would have most likely gone to the scrap yard if I didn't buy it. And I will say, if I may, the car is looking very nice!

So, give me a few days and I'll post a few photos of the car with it's progress as of today.

Lou

#8 ·
1987 Lotus Esprit electrical diagrams

Here is a photo album that confirms the 87 and 88 turn sign and wiper stalks are the same. My 87 turn signal/hi beam lever has electrical tape wrapped around the end (don't know why) but it's clear they match my 88 turn signal lever.

Lou - your car is more likely to have 87 Esprit wiring harness so these photos should be better for you. Also, I can't find my 88-95 Esprit manual yet :-(

https://photos.shutterfly.com/album/70148493975

#14 ·
Eddie, my Shutterfly account is jacked up and is preventing me from signing in. Is it possible to scan the portion of the wiring diagram that illustrates the stalks and send it to me to my personal email? I think you have it but if not let me know so I can send it to you. Thanks so much. Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.