2002 Esprit V8 Mod help needed - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

2002 Esprit V8 Mod help needed

I have a 2002 Esprit and am looking to make it a bit quicker. The first thing that I would like to do is the gearbox mod, but I am having a very hard time finding the parts. I've emailed Derek Bell and the only info he gave me was that the kit was going to be done later this year. Does anyone know how to get ahold of these parts? I also am looking for a chip, forged pistons and a charge cooler kit.

As far as the charge cooler goes I think that Lotus PBC makes and sells one. Does anyone have any experience with this kit?

And last but not least if anyone has some or know someone with some solid experience when it comes to modding these cars and would be willing to give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated

thanks;
Steve doPorto

Last edited by doPorto; 11-05-2007 at 05:55 PM.
doPorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
BANNED

1. GET THE JOHAN CHIP
2. GET HIGH FLOW CATS AND DELETE THE MUFFLER
3. GET HIGH FLOW AIR FILTER
4. GET UPRATED WASTEGATE ACTUATORS set at 12psi

you'll see a 100hp jump from stock HP (450) and you'll be QUITE happy.

BTW these mods are safe too.. my car runs just fine with them..

Last edited by StallionX; 11-03-2007 at 10:15 AM.
StallionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doPorto View Post
I have a 2002 Esprit and am looking to make it a bit quicker. The first thing that I would like to do is the gearbox mod, but I am having a very hard time finding the parts. I've emailed Derek Bell and he gave me zero helpfull info and seemed a bit rude. Does anyone know how to get ahold of these parts? I also am looking for a chip, forged pistons and a charge cooler kit.

As far as the charge cooler goes I think that Lotus PBC makes and sells one. Does anyone have any experience with this kit?

And last but not least if anyone has some or know someone with some solid experience when it comes to modding these cars and would be willing to give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated

thanks;
Steve doPorto

Steve,

Feel free to drop me a line at Young.Kim@IndyLotus.com and I will be happy to help you with what you are you attempting to do. I have personally done pretty much most of the things you are thinking about doing...
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Toptr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

what about removing the cats? I live in canada so I won't be tested for emisions
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
BANNED

Steve,

yeah you can do that too.. I have MAGNAFLOW cats on mine.. cheap and they do the trick.. of course removing the cats would be the ultimate..

when you do these mods steve (I have all these mods and more on mine) you will have a 2900lb car that will have between 450-480hp (dyno it) = extremely fast.. as fast as a 911 tt and a c6 z06 and pulls on a gallardo..
Old 11-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

what if I wanted to go further than that do you have any experience? and have you done the gearbox mod or know where to get it?
Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
BANNED

I rebuilt my gearbox last summer..
if you do the mods I mentioned you can be fairly abusive with the gearbox.. ..

not extremely abusive but fairly.. I wouldn't take it to the dragstrips too much..

I also have a LSD in the car and if I launch with THAT it's really hard on the gearbox etc..

DEREK BELL is I think one of the only stronger solutions right now.. you can also cryogenically freeze the primary shaft (both parts) which MIGHT help..
Old 11-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doPorto View Post
I have a 2002 Esprit and am looking to make it a bit quicker. The first thing that I would like to do is the gearbox mod, but I am having a very hard time finding the parts. I've emailed Derek Bell and he gave me zero helpfull info and seemed a bit rude. Does anyone know how to get ahold of these parts? I also am looking for a chip, forged pistons and a charge cooler kit.

thanks;
Steve doPorto
Steve,

If you are looking for better performance (all around), then I would do the following to your Esprit...

1.) Install two new K&N air filters
The K&N part number is 33-2547. This is a Euro only part number and not listed on the K&N website for our car application. It was originally made for the Opel Corsa and Vauxhall Nova in the late 80's but fits perfectly on the V8 Exprits. This is available through Jeff at JAE. Let Jeff know I sent you. He will take good care of you. His information can be found on the JAE website at www.jaeparts.com

2.) Start using the K&N oil filter
The K&N oil filter part number is HP-2004. This is one of the hightest flowing oil filter at 15 microns (more then Mobil). You can also use the K&N part number HP-3001. This is the same filter as the HP-2004 but just larger in capacity. It will allow your engine to run approximately 1/2 quart more then the standard set up. Both these oil filters have the anti drain back valve, which is needed for the V8 Esprits. This can be purchased at any of your local automotive parts store.

3.) Recore your radiator to a 4 core
The stock radiator in the V8 cars can use a little help. You can take your radiator out and take it to any reputable radiator shop and add a fourth core. This will allow your car to run approximately 5 degrees cooler. I would do this before Intercoolers. If you do not want to recore your radiator, Jeff at JAE has a really nice set up that comes complete with 3 new metal bladed cooling fans.

4.) Delete the Muffler
Although the stock muffler on a V8 is not restrictive at all, it does reduce the weight by approximately 50 pounds. You can get custom bent pipes as long as they are stainless steel and add some tips for a better sound.

5.) Replace the CATS with performance CATS
I recommend the Hyperflow cats. These can actually pass the emissions but also gives you a 90%+ non restrictivfe air flow. There are other CATS you can rig up but it is a gamble as it may throw a check engine light on your car. The V8 has four O2 sensors and if the length of the CAT pipe is not right, the post O2 sensors will throw a check engine light. The Hyperflow CATS can also be purchased through Jeff at JAE.

6.) Send your ECU to Johan Hybinette and have it rechipped
Johan holds the fastest V8 Esprit land speed record at 210.6 miles per hour. His information is available on his website at www.ExtremeEsprit.com He has multiple ECU's available for the V8 cars. The most popular one is his red box ECU, which combines the High Torque ECU with the Race ECU. His family and mine occasionally travel on vacations together. He really is a great guy to deal with. Very knowledgable and can't say enough good things about the guy.

7.) Replace the stock shocks with adjustables
The last of the 2004 V8 Esprits came with adjustable Bilstein shocks that works great on our cars. Helps the handling of the Esprit tremendously. I have personally ran the Sport 350 shocks as well as the stock and the Bilstein. I like the Bilstein set up the best. This is also available through Jeff at JAE.

8.) Re-Inforce the transmission
I read on your post that you contacted Derek Bell. His set up is a good one despise some of the negative press of the past. Recently a guy named Craig Stephens bought the rights to the Derek Bell design. Craig has a complete and total solution now available for our Renault gear box without having to alter the housing. His company is called Halloway Performanace and his contact information can be found on www.HallowayPerformance.com I sold Craig my 2001 V8 Esprit last year and know him well. If you tell him that I sent you, he will take care of you.

9.) Waste Gate
Although there are people out there with V8 Esprits that do this mod, I am going to vote against changing the spring on the wastegate to a higher pound spring setup. Unless you have forged piston modification along with some other internal engine work done to your car. This is my personal opinion only and does not reflect others thought process. The extra load on the motor is not something I am willing to risk unless the other internal parts of the engine has been addressed. If potentially blowing your motor is not an issue then this is a null and void concern. The waste gate also can be acquired through Jeff and JAE.

10.) Add Intercoolers
The set up you are talking about at Lotus Prepared By Claudius is actually a Johan Hybinette design. Take a look at the Extreme Esprit website and you will see what I am talking about. The perfect person to talk about this with is Johan. You can get two intercoolers in the V8 Esprit without having to make any modifications to the tub area. Or you can make the modification to the tub area and make the Intercoolers more visable. Which setup you pick is your personal preferance.

There is more that can be done but this is all I can think off the top of my head at the moment...

Good luck with all your modifications and I wish you the best. If you are planning to do the work yourself and need help walking through the process, feel free to drop me a line.

Disclaimer: I have no personal interest or affiliated with any of the companies recommended. Everything I shared is my personal experience / preference only realized through working on my own car.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com

Last edited by Toptr1; 11-04-2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptr1 View Post
Steve,

If you are looking for better performance (all around), then I would do the following to your Esprit...

9.) Waste Gate
Although there are people out there with V8 Esprits that do this mod, I am going to vote against changing the spring on the wastegate to a higher pound spring setup. Unless you have forged piston modification along with some other internal engine work done to your car. This is my personal opinion only and does not reflect others thought process. The extra load on the motor is not something I am willing to risk unless the other internal parts of the engine has been addressed. If potentially blowing your motor is not an issue then this is a null and void concern. The waste gate also can be acquired through Jeff and JAE.

I have to address this one.. Johan, Claudius and Michael from Michaels motorsports all have states that getting the uprated wastegates set to fully open at 12psi is completely safe w/ stock internals..

anything above 12psi is not recommended, again if you use a 12psi wastegate w/ johan's ecu (which is designed for it) the car will run fine and should not do any more damage to the motor than the stock (9psi) wastegates..

I held off installing these until I spoke to everyone who would know and asked them beyond a shadow of a doubt would these wastegates do any damage to the car if set at 12psi max.. they all told me no.. Call Johan himself though to hear it from the horses mouth..

Other than that I have done almost eveything on top's list and that is the way to go.. these cars are VERY restricted from the factory and it's extremely simple to open up their power capabilities..
Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StallionX View Post
I have to address this one.. Johan, Claudius and Michael from Michaels motorsports all have states that getting the uprated wastegates set to fully open at 12psi is completely safe w/ stock internals..

anything above 12psi is not recommended, again if you use a 12psi wastegate w/ johan's ecu (which is designed for it) the car will run fine and should not do any more damage to the motor than the stock (9psi) wastegates..

I held off installing these until I spoke to everyone who would know and asked them beyond a shadow of a doubt would these wastegates do any damage to the car if set at 12psi max.. they all told me no.. Call Johan himself though to hear it from the horses mouth..

Other than that I have done almost eveything on top's list and that is the way to go.. these cars are VERY restricted from the factory and it's extremely simple to open up their power capabilities..
As I have stated... This is only my opion and only an opinion. It does not reflect the opinion of anyone else that has or are thinking about doing this mod.

I agree with you that 12psi most likely will not do any damage to the motor short term or even long term for that matter. "Personally", I just wouldn't do it without doing other work to the V8 motor (i.e. forged pistons, valves, cams, etc...).

Johan, Claudius, and Michael are all good guys with valuable knowledge about these cars and know most of them well. I don't question any of that. My "personal" reasoning revolves around speaking with Lotus Engineers in the US and UK. Empahsis on the fact that all the other mods potentially have zero negative impact on the Esprit. However, the wastegate can potentially be an issue. That is it and nothing more...

I agree that the V8 cars are restricted from the factory and there are room for enhancements. I suppose I just caution towards the safe side as I have heard enough horror stories of those that have ran 12psi, 15psi, or even excess of 20psi on these motors for that matter.

No one can really claim and state with a "beyond a shadow of a doubt" as each persons opinion needs to take into consideration of many different factors. A person with a late model V8 Esprit that has 2K miles on the odometer and have babied the car short shifting while driving may have a different outcome with a higher psi wastegate then the person with a late model V8 that has 50K+ miles on the odometer that has driven their car consistantly in a spirited fashion revving it to red line on every gear and has worked the motor hard.

Longevity of a motor and the by product of modifing a car is all relevant to individual situation and circumstances.

I also agree with you that adding an LSD is a great upgrade to these cars. Especially when pushing so much power. It is amazingly noticeable on the track coming out of corners. I got mine from Michael as well.

Also Steve, if you are thinking about doing all this to your car. You may want to look into installing a lighter flywheels. It makes it a little tougher to drive on the street for every day use but fantastic on track days...! Although the lighter flywheel does not give you more horse power, it takes much less effort on the motor to turn the flywheel providing quicker power to the car.
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Old 11-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Steve,

6.) Send your ECU to Johan Hybinette and have it rechipped
Johan holds the fastest V8 Esprit land speed record at 110.6 miles per hour.
Sold!
Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westrock View Post
Sold!
Ooops! I meant to say 210.6mph...
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Old 11-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

thanks... you guys have been a huge help! if you can think of any other tips that would great but this gives me an awesome start!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Johan, Claudius, and Michael are all good guys with valuable knowledge about these cars and know most of them well. I don't question any of that. My "personal" reasoning revolves around speaking with Lotus Engineers in the US and UK. Empahsis on the fact that all the other mods potentially have zero negative impact on the Esprit. However, the wastegate can potentially be an issue. That is it and nothing more...
With the Johan ecu.. the car actually will hit 12psi of boost, albiet for a split second before the weak wastegates burst open.. all this is doing is maintaining max boost and holding more boost longer..

The stock wastegates are considered universally a joke and the consensus is that it was just another method (along w ecu) to gimp the car in order to keep that crap gearbox healthy..

My understanding is 12psi wastegate is the max (safe) limit with stock internals..

HOWEVER can you please tell me what the engineers from lotus told you? I could really use your input since you are the only person who has told me there might be possible damage..
Old 11-04-2007, 04:00 AM   #15 (permalink)
maz

i had a 98 v-8 and i can tell you that it is going to start to get really hard to keep it on the road bone stock. modify it, and you will be looking at a $20,000 engine rebuild.

lotus takes a dim view of modding ANY of its cars.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." (rumsfeld)
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
HOWEVER can you please tell me what the engineers from lotus told you? I could really use your input since you are the only person who has told me there might be possible damage..
I thought I already answered this question but here it is again...

"My "personal" reasoning revolves around speaking with Lotus Engineers in the US and UK. Empahsis on the fact that all the other mods potentially have zero negative impact on the Esprit. However, the wastegate can potentially be an issue. That is it and nothing more..."

Pointing out that other mods can not potentially hurt the car but altering the wastegate could potentially be an issue.

When engineers from Lotus tell me that they do not recommend altering the wastegate... As I have stated in my previous post... I caution on the safe side as this is my "personal preference" with these cars as I respect their advice / opinion on the matter.

As for me being the "only person" who has told you there might be possible damage? If that is the case, why did you have to get such a solid and confirmed validation from Johan, Claudius, and Michael before doing the mod to your car? If you want differing opinion on the wastegate matter, go to the TurboEsprit forum on Yahoo and search under Wastegate and see how many opinions you get. Sure, some opinions are more qualified then others but I am certain I am not the only one with this opinion.

I want to make certain you understand I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer. It's your car and everyone is entitled to do what they want to do with it. As I have stated on every post on this thread, this is my opinion and my opinion only and does not reflect others. It is not a personal attack or me trying to prove a person wrong. Those that know me, know that I am not some "keep your car stock" fanatic as none of the cars in my collection are stock by any stretch of imagination.

I am not going to post lengthy conversations I have had with Lotus regarding my car on a public forum. If you REALLY want to know, feel free to send me an e-mail off line with your contact information and I will call you and will be more then happy to answer all the questions you have for me...
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Old 11-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
I thought I already answered this question but here it is again...

"My "personal" reasoning revolves around speaking with Lotus Engineers in the US and UK. Empahsis on the fact that all the other mods potentially have zero negative impact on the Esprit. However, the wastegate can potentially be an issue. That is it and nothing more..."

Pointing out that other mods can not potentially hurt the car but altering the wastegate could potentially be an issue.

When engineers from Lotus tell me that they do not recommend altering the wastegate... As I have stated in my previous post... I caution on the safe side as this is my "personal preference" with these cars as I respect their advice / opinion on the matter.

As for me being the "only person" who has told you there might be possible damage? If that is the case, why did you have to get such a solid and confirmed validation from Johan, Claudius, and Michael before doing the mod to your car? If you want differing opinion on the wastegate matter, go to the TurboEsprit forum on Yahoo and search under Wastegate and see how many opinions you get. Sure, some opinions are more qualified then others but I am certain I am not the only one with this opinion.

I want to make certain you understand I don't think there is a right or a wrong answer. It's your car and everyone is entitled to do what they want to do with it. As I have stated on every post on this thread, this is my opinion and my opinion only and does not reflect others. It is not a personal attack or me trying to prove a person wrong. Those that know me, know that I am not some "keep your car stock" fanatic as none of the cars in my collection are stock by any stretch of imagination.

I am not going to post lengthy conversations I have had with Lotus regarding my car on a public forum. If you REALLY want to know, feel free to send me an e-mail off line with your contact information and I will call you and will be more then happy to answer all the questions you have for me...
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you, my post was misunderstood amigo..

I truly wanted to know what you have heard from the lotus techs about the 12psi issue..

The reason I spoke to everyone about the wastegate issue is I wanted to be fairly certain since I didn't want to do damage to the engine.. johan etc. as well as the esprit usegroups on yahoo and lotusespritforum.com..

The consensus as I understand it is 12psi is the maximum safe limit.. now some people say even 14psi should be ok.. anything above 12psi was the grey area from my understanding..

In any case I didn't mean to get you on the defensive on this topic, or question your sources I simply want to know if the concensus of these guys might be wrong, it's the first I heard that 12psi could potentially be a problem and if it's coming from lotus I would love to know what they said..

I will shoot you a PM and if you can give me that information it would be great.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you, my post was misunderstood amigo..

I truly wanted to know what you have heard from the lotus techs about the 12psi issue..

The reason I spoke to everyone about the wastegate issue is I wanted to be fairly certain since I didn't want to do damage to the engine.. johan etc. as well as the esprit usegroups on yahoo and lotusespritforum.com..

The consensus as I understand it is 12psi is the maximum safe limit.. now some people say even 14psi should be ok.. anything above 12psi was the grey area from my understanding..

In any case I didn't mean to get you on the defensive on this topic, or question your sources I simply want to know if the concensus of these guys might be wrong, it's the first I heard that 12psi could potentially be a problem and if it's coming from lotus I would love to know what they said..

I will shoot you a PM and if you can give me that information it would be great.

My bad... I guess this is why I am not a fan of the whole e-mail / forum conversation. Hard to tell a tone of a written text. I really was not offended by your post nor was I trying to be defensive.

In all reality, as you can see from my number of posts... I am new to the whole posting thing on Elise Talk. There are people out there that post and wants to make sure their post is the end all answer to others questions / opinion. All I was trying to do was make sure you and the other readers know that this is only my opinion and what is done with the information is up to the individuals reading it.

Although I have had 5 Esprits and sitting on my 6th Lotus car and work on all my cars personally, I don't pretend to be an "expert" on this field. It's only a hobby. That is why I tend to error on the cautious side when doing mods myself or giving input to others. Nothing more really...

On a generic note, there are tons of opinions on these cars when it comes to modifications. I really think that this is the case because no one really knows for certain the potential consequences (if any at all) on a long term basis. Perfect example is, I was told in the past that I was making a huge mistake using K&N oil filters on my cars by another member. Anyway one looks at it, one can perceive that it is all a calculated risk when altering from factory specs. Me on the other had, I don't believe all of that and do what I think it right for my cars.

So, my apologies if my post came across as being defensive. Drop me an e-mail at Young.Kim@IndyLotus.com with your contact information and I will be happy to chat with you about our cars. Perhaps we can learn from one another. After all, isn't that the point of having a Lotus community...?
Indianapolis, IN 46268
1-855-428-6767 Tel
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Old 11-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

Does anyone have a good idea of how many hours it should take to install forged pistons in a 2002 esprit? and if there is any down side to the forged pistons such as extra noise?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
BANNED

Again, if you are happy w/ 450HP then you should be quite content w/ your esprit..

remember 450hp in a 2900lb car is well under 4 seconds to 60 and under 12 seconds in the QM.. Z06 performance and faster than a gallardo.. that not enough for ya?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit