97 Lotus Esprit- no start - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

97 Lotus Esprit- no start

engine cranks but wont start. we have no check engine light and no comm. with pcm. have no fuel pump, no injector pulse, no fire. tested fuel pump and fuel pump does run.also have no ignition power at fuel pump relay. all fuses are good. any help would be thankful!!!
donsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsgarage View Post
engine cranks but wont start. we have no check engine light and no comm. with pcm. have no fuel pump, no injector pulse, no fire. tested fuel pump and fuel pump does run.also have no ignition power at fuel pump relay. all fuses are good. any help would be thankful!!!
Have you done any modification or done something in the engine?
Check if the bundle of ground is connected. If I remember at the bellhousing?
If that ground is not connected, no injector-no ignition-no fuel pump.
s2kseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
glb

theviper says that it's hard to tell sometimes that a fuse is ng.

he recommends testing with ohmmeter.

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
glb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

there is a safety switch to cut the fuel pump power. Reset that switch.
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same problem on my 2001 Esprit; I traced it to the inertia switch which cuts off the fuel in the event of an accident. Sometimes for no reason it trips by itself. On the V8 it's located at the front of the engine.

2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Daily Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
LotusGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

It is possible the immobilizer is preventing you from starting. It has 2 circuits, one to prevent the starter from running and one in the ignition circuit.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

It is possible the immobilizer is preventing you from starting. It has 2 circuits, one to prevent the starter from running and one in the ignition circuit. Or a bad ignition power relay (or just a bad connection, dirty contact, out-of-position connecter).
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for all the quick replys. Ive checked all the grounds at bell housing, checked iner. switch. Swich was not triggered. Rechecked all the fuses with ohm meter all ok. Have snap on modis scan tool and it will not communicate under generic obd2. Again have no "check engine" light bulb check when i turn the key on. Need to know power and ground pins at pcm!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fuel pump relay?
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for all the quick replys. Ive checked all the grounds at bell housing, checked iner. switch. Swich was not triggered. Rechecked all the fuses with ohm meter all ok. Have snap on modis scan tool and it will not communicate under generic obd2. Again have no "check engine" light bulb check when i turn the key on. Need to know power and ground pins at pcm!
I can't find my Lotus manual CD, if I find it I will try to look for you.
Another idea -- check if your crank sensor is good, also the two cam sensor
at the back of the head. But these sensors should show in the engine Cel code if bad (you mentioned no code). I'm just guessing here now.
You have to buy or borrow a scanner, cheap investment. Borrow one from autozone. The Brand is ACTRON model #CP9135 (works great for my V8)

These are the major sensor when engine will not start.

Last edited by s2kseven; 09-30-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Was the car brought to you with a "no start" condition or was it worked on and now will not start? That question seems to be missed and if it was "worked on" let us know what was done as that would give people a better direction to focus on as to what might be wrong.
It sounds to me like a mouse got in some place and chewed the harness. With no CEL the car cannot go through self diagonstics and will not start, no comm with PCM, injector pulse or fire sounds like a harness problem. All of those things cannot go wrong at the same time unless someone was monkeying around with connectors or a rodent caused damage. Just my opinion.
Type82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

ECM pins
+12 volts is on pin 55. This is from fuse B2 (5A).
Ground is pins 27 and 28.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

If you don't have a set of wiring diagrams, get them... otherwise you're just looking for a needle in a haystack. A little history would be helpful as well... as in when did it last start and what happened to cause the failure?

You should also check the ECM connector to ensure it's properly seated and none of the pins are bent. Also check the harness for any abrasions and/or cuts which could result in a loss of power to the ECM.
floobydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #14 (permalink)

The vehicle was towed in to us with a no start. The customer claims he tried to take the intake mani. off to change his spark plugs. But after he put it all back together the car would not start. It just cranks. The car only has 23,000 miles on it. So we went back in took the intake mani. off again and checked everything over. We didnt find any broken wires although we did find some broken vacuum lines we repaied them put it all back together and still no start.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds to me like your missing a very important ground link somewhere if the car ran and now doesn't. Again, the information provided is vague... do you have spark? What is the fuel pressue? Do you hear the fuel pumps running? Have you done a compression or leak down test? The more information you can provide helps. If an owner who has no clue what they are doing ANYTHING can be possible.
Type82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The vehicle was towed in to us with a no start. The customer claims he tried to take the intake mani. off to change his spark plugs. But after he put it all back together the car would not start. It just cranks. The car only has 23,000 miles on it. So we went back in took the intake mani. off again and checked everything over. We didnt find any broken wires although we did find some broken vacuum lines we repaied them put it all back together and still no start.
So, since you are the Mr. Garage why not check if there is spark?
Old 10-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kseven View Post
So, since you are the Mr. Garage why not check if there is spark?
If you would have read the first post on here we say we have no fire which means no spark, we have no fuel pump operation, no injector pulse and no communication with the pcm. we do not have 12 volts power to the injectors. We know that the computer pulses the injectors. its obvious we have an electrical problem. We would like to find wiring diagrams for the engine mana. system.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
If you would have read the first post on here we say we have no fire which means no spark, we have no fuel pump operation, no injector pulse and no communication with the pcm. we do not have 12 volts power to the injectors. We know that the computer pulses the injectors. its obvious we have an electrical problem. We would like to find wiring diagrams for the engine mana. system.
If you have no power to anything relative to +12V, how are you sensing the fact that the injectors are being pulsed by the ECM? Needless to say, you either have a wiring problem or a popped ECM due to something being wired up wrong from the owner in his quest to repair something he wasn't capable of doing in the first place.

As I posted earlier... you need the wiring diagrams... any quest of your own to obtain them? Contact a dealer? You can purchase the manuals... I did long ago (hardcopy manuals), not cheap but not over the top either... and sure beats wasting time easter-egging the electrics. Some dealers might be willing to send you the PDFs for them... doesn't hurt to ask... or ask the owner to get a set.

Have you checked for any wire ends hanging loose in the engine bay area, around the ECM and by the rear fuse panel? Ground wires, sensors, etc.
floobydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

PM me your e-mail and I will send the diagrams.
Michael
Quote:
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit