Anyone have a broken down photo or schematic of all the clutch components? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone have a broken down photo or schematic of all the clutch components?

Does anyone happen to have a photo or even better, a schematic of what all components should be in the clutch area (between the input shaft and crankshaft on an 88 Esprit, im gonna pull my tranny to inviestigate my clutch and I want to be certain the previous owner did not leave any bushings or things out that should be in there when he put the clutch in.

I know there is the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch fork, but I thought I remembered someone saying there is to be a bushing or washer in there someplace between a couple of parts?
amanda11270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
BANNED

Sounds like you need that section from the shop manual. I'm surprised you don't have a copy with all the work you've done.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have a version of the shop manual, and its two books, and its pretty helpful, but its lacking a few things I could have needed now and then, and this is one of the topics its lacking on. It describes the clutch and how to adjust the fork nut, but it doesnt give a break down of what parts are inside the bell housing, if anyone can tell me even an order of the parts that go in there that would be great, as I said above, I think there is a bushing or spacer that goes somewhere in between certain clutch components.

I can easily reassemble it the way it comes apart im sure, but I dont know what a previous owner, may or may not have left out as I know they installed the last clutch themselves and I just want to be sure I have all the parts there before I reassemble it.

I would also like to add back to the shop manual topic, that is has been very very helpful in my past dealing with the CIS FI system in great detail, and if I ever need a wiring diagram on the car its definitely in there, but it also has alot of topics in it that anybody who knows anything about cars would already know. Im glad I have it regardless.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda11270 View Post
Does anyone happen to have a photo or even better, a schematic of what all components should be in the clutch area (between the input shaft and crankshaft on an 88 Esprit, im gonna pull my tranny to inviestigate my clutch and I want to be certain the previous owner did not leave any bushings or things out that should be in there when he put the clutch in.

I know there is the flywheel, clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing and clutch fork, but I thought I remembered someone saying there is to be a bushing or washer in there someplace between a couple of parts?
Are you thinking of the Citroen circlip issue (applies only to Turbo Esprit/Esprit Turbo Citroen transmission cars 80-88 US Spec)?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)

See attachment

The only thing not shown in the pdf is the needle roller bearing in the end of the crankshaft which is the pilot bearing or "spigot" bearing in Lotus parlance...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2.pdf (270.5 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by lotus4s; 01-25-2013 at 05:11 AM.
lotus4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im thinking exactly of the circlip failure, I however didnt realize its inside the transmission, I thought it was in the bellhousing, my 88 may of already had this component replaced, as I was told upon buying this car that the input shaft had gone out and it was upgraded to new "better" components.

Thanks also for the parts diagram of the clutch/bell housing area.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Im thinking exactly of the circlip failure,[snip]my 88 may of already had this component replaced, as I was told upon buying this car that the input shaft had gone out and it was upgraded to new "better" components.
[snip]
Given the # of hours it takes to pull the transmission and the risk of finding out that it was NOT done, I highly recommend you verify that 'better' components were in fact installed. That means that either an upgraded circlip was installed OR the spigot bearing modification was done.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Wingless Wonder

First of all, having a Shop Manual (Lotus Notes) is only half of the documentation you need. The Parts List (as lotusS4s posted) is required to see which parts you need and how they go together. (Besides, it's more fun just to look at the pictures.)

New "better" components refers to installing a roller input bearing as fitted to the Renault transmission Esprits. I'm currently doing that to my Esprit.

The roller bearing fitment requires that the crankshaft be bored out by a machine shop to accommodate the bearing.

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post

The roller bearing fitment requires that the crankshaft be bored out by a machine shop to accommodate the bearing.

Atwell - who is doing the work? Ralph was done with my car earlier this week, and asked me to expedite picking it up because another one was coming in. Yours? (or should I say "ours"?)
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wingless Wonder

Nope, I'm doing the work myself (SLOOOOWWWLY)

The crankshaft work has been done by a shop often-used by a local Lotus guy (who has rebuilt several 9XX engines)

I HAVE been re-assembling the car...gas tanks are installed, engine parts are all there (just not re-assembled). Tranny parts are procured, but not replaced.

Of course I'm doing a lot of detailing and cleaning as I work.

Jeepers,. I just spent over $100 on high pressure, ethanol resistant fuel lines!

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Circlip access

Quote:
Im thinking exactly of the circlip failure, I however didnt realize its inside the transmission, I thought it was in the bellhousing (Snip)....
You only have to remove the two output shaft housings and the bell housing in order to replace the circlip. In the parts manual drawing of the shafts and gears, it's item 3 to the left end of the second row of parts. It snaps into a groove just inside the hollow left end of primary shaft 8.

When the bell housingis removed, the hollow end of the primary shaft is protruding through a ball bearing in the gearbox wall, and you can access the circlip there.

Prior to assembly, lube both mating splines with a moly grease, or with Anti-Seize. Install spring 2 into the end of the Primary Shaft. Install the Input Shaft's splined inner end into the bore/ female spline in the Primary Shaft. Push it in with sufficient force to compress the spring. Once the Primary Shaft in in far enough to expose the circlip groove inside the bore, install teh circlip. Now put the differential assembly bits, bell housing and output shaft housings back where you found them. Details are in the Service Notes, Section F, Transmission.

It's not a trivial job, but it doesn't require dismantling the gearbox proper.
3 hours to remove the transaxle.
10 minutes to drain the gear oil.
1.5 hrs to R&R the output shaft housings & bell housing.
5 minutes to R&R the circlip.
3.5 hrs to replace the transaxle... plus adjustment time.

Circlip and two output housing gaskets required (cheap).

Inspect the release bearing prior to re-assembly. The clutch doesn't have to be removed for the circlip job, but it's quick to remove. Do so and you can also inspect the spigot bearing and clutch disk. Don't pass on the opportunity to re-new them if they're old or worn.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON)
Attached Images

Last edited by Esprit2; 01-28-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Esprit2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit