Anyone near Paramus, New Jersey know this car? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anyone near Paramus, New Jersey know this car?

One of many am looking at, others are members here or suggestions..

Anyone near Paramus, New Jersey know this car?

Yes, I know the wheels are from a V8 model and the exhaust swapped to center...

Lotus : Esprit ESPRIT S4 in Lotus | eBay Motors
MidLifeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

You could try calling RS Motorsports and ask Ralph if he ever had that car in his shop. His shop is the nearest one to Paramus. 201-750-0700 He would also be the one to use for a PPI and it won't cost a lot for travel! Paramus is only about 20 minutes from his shop.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

anyone have any info on that short shifter in that S4?
QuadCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wingless Wonder

Some Esprit owners reversed the translators, which resulted in a "short shift" action.

"NO LEAKS"?

I agree with David T, see if RS Motorsports has ever touched the car. If Raplh knows it, you are golden.

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
carbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
anyone have any info on that short shifter in that S4?
S4 cars had the "short shift" setup from the factory, there is no mod for those cars that I am aware of.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
You could try calling RS Motorsports and ask Ralph if he ever had that car in his shop. His shop is the nearest one to Paramus. 201-750-0700 He would also be the one to use for a PPI and it won't cost a lot for travel! Paramus is only about 20 minutes from his shop.
David Teitelbaum
Does he work on Evoras and Eliges too or just Esprits?
GuppyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sanj,

This isn't a stock shifter.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow, that is short!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wingless Wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Does [RS Motorsports] work on Evoras and Eliges too or just Esprits?

Ralph preps the cars for Lotus Cars USA when there is a demo or road test locally. He is (I think) the only factory trained authorized Lotus repair facility, not affiliated to a dealership. He is factory trained in all the new models.

That said, he always has a backlog of work, so try to plan in advance.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

He is one of the very few that can work on anything Lotus. From the very earliest models right on up to the latest. Including Lotus bicycles. He can also fix up your Ducati!
David Teitelbaum
Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wingless Wonder

Quote:
He can also fix up your Ducati!
David Teitelbaum
Or a Vespa Scooter. (He restored two of these to drive around the paddock at races)

Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Spoke to Ralph yesterday on the phone, NICE guy! He was able to ascertain quite a bit from the photos and such. Waiting on some other info on this and a couple other cars here and one on Yahoo! list befor pull trigger on getting PPI's done..
Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)

My car is with Ralph now for a C-service. If you're in that area, maybe you can stop by and comfort my girl. She is lonely.
CarSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

That was my car. I made the short shifter. It was my second generation and came out perfect. I had the car for about 6 months and traded it for a 98 v8
lotus95s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus95s4 View Post
That was my car. I made the short shifter. It was my second generation and came out perfect. I had the car for about 6 months and traded it for a 98 v8
Wish had heard from you earlier! I was able to get ZERO info from the dealer.

Return calls? NOPE, not gonna happen

Service records?
Dealer on phone: "Yeah, its got a lot, pretty tall stack of papers"

Me: "OK, what I need to know is if the C service, timing belt, water pump, etc. has been done. Can you look in the records and see?"

Dealer on phone: "Well flipping thru I dont see it but I really dont have time for this"

Separate call

Me: "I'd like to have a PPI done, how would can we work that out?"

Dealer: "HEY! We cant just let anyone come over and be poking around our cars without a purchase order"

Me: "OK, lets talk price then" (we do) "OK, send me a purchase agreement contigent on passing of PPI, I'll note the specific items which must pass"

Dealer: "That would be Shawn, hes busy, I'll have him call you within the hour"

Of couse no call that day, or any other day from them.. so blew it off and their not having a website didnt lend to giving me warm fuzzies

Hate to ask now; what are the service records on it like?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

You can see if you really "kick the tires" and figure out the condition of the car the Dealer knows you will try to negotiate the price if you even stick around after getting an idea of the true condition of the car. Discuss this with Ralph but if he cannot do what he needs to do you may be wasting your money on a PPI because they will not let him touch the car. He *may* be able to get some good information out of the service records and then again he may not. Chances are the cars are on consignment so they really can't let you touch the car without the owner's permission anyway. You would think if they felt they had a "live one" (a qualified, interested buyer) they would pursue you to keep the deal alive. After all, they can't make any money on the sale if they don't get the car sold!
David Teitelbaum
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
You can see if you really "kick the tires" and figure out the condition of the car the Dealer knows you will try to negotiate the price if you even stick around after getting an idea of the true condition of the car. Discuss this with Ralph but if he cannot do what he needs to do you may be wasting your money on a PPI because they will not let him touch the car. He *may* be able to get some good information out of the service records and then again he may not. Chances are the cars are on consignment so they really can't let you touch the car without the owner's permission anyway. You would think if they felt they had a "live one" (a qualified, interested buyer) they would pursue you to keep the deal alive. After all, they can't make any money on the sale if they don't get the car sold!
David Teitelbaum
Agreed...

When I spoke to them I said I was fine with agreeing on a price (which we did on the phone), doing an agreement to purchase should it pass PPI by Ralph and was told I would get a call within an hour to get it done.

And according to them, and the prior poster I replied to, it was not on consignment... has come and gone at least twice on ebay as well so far...

I have since settled on judgerea's 1994 and am flying to see it Sunday and barring any unforeseen circumstances or issues will be driving it home!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Any info on how you made the short shifter? Looks so much better than the stocker.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

MidlifeZ, the car needs the c service done. the last time it was done was at 38,000 mile over 4 years ago. It now has around 41000 miles on it and could use it. I owned the car for about 6 months and did a lot of work to it! I have changed the motor oil and trans oil. Replaced all rear suspension bushings, New Spax adjustable shocks, K&N air filter, full alignment, new Nav unit. Wet sanded and polished! Interior could use some help. Two small tears on drivers seat. I made the short shifter.
lotus95s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
MidlifeZ, the car needs the c service done. the last time it was done was at 38,000 mile over 4 years ago. It now has around 41000 miles on it and could use it. I owned the car for about 6 months and did a lot of work to it! I have changed the motor oil and trans oil. Replaced all rear suspension bushings, New Spax adjustable shocks, K&N air filter, full alignment, new Nav unit. Wet sanded and polished! Interior could use some help. Two small tears on drivers seat. I made the short shifter.
Thanks, wish I could have gotten a return call from the dealer, etc. and the info you posted. Already selected another one since... Beautiful car though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit