Big Brake Kit For V8 Esprit - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Big Brake Kit For V8 Esprit

I am looking to upgrade my brakes on a 98 esprit. I have the stock Lotus Brembo on the fronts. Has anyone figured out how to purchase some available big brake kits and install with minor modification.
lotus95s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
BANNED

I have seen kits out of Europe for the rear that have a new bracket to use the stock caliper with larger discs that are cross driller. The 02+ brakes are the same in the rear, so this would get you there.

For the front, it's expensive to put on the 02+ calipers.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

I made my own

There is a set for sale here (not mine)
http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/big-brakes/
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would like to start with the fronts. Do you recall any names?

Also, what do you think about your protechs?
Old 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Vulcan....i just spent the last 1/2 hour reading your posts! Great work! I really dont want to do that mush work.
I just emailed that guy about the fronts.

thanks
john g
Old 02-22-2013, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
I made my own

Hi Vulcan,

I found that it's surprisingly straightforward to have custom stuff made and I also made my own front brakes after the stock Lotus rotors failed to hold up for me. Having stuff made isn't something to shy away from.

In looking at the two pictures you posted, the orientation of your rotors looks a little strange to me and they look like they are backwards. Which way do the vanes in the rotors curve on your setup?

Knut
ksgrimsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi Knut,

The slots are correct on mine.

Here's the Brembo drawing showing the direction of rotation. The direction of the cooling vanes being more important that the slots.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Knut,

The slots are correct on mine.

Here's the Brembo drawing showing the direction of rotation. The direction of the cooling vanes being more important that the slots.
I see -- on your rotors the direciton of the vanes is opposite the direction of the slots (on mine they happen to go in the same direction which gave me the impresison that yours might also be that way which made them look backward).

Knut
Old 02-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Detail on the vanes.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Detail on the vanes.
Hard to tell from the picture which rotor this is and what the rotation direction would be. Is the direction of rotation in the picture for the rotor to go downward past the pads? On my rotors the vanes and the grooves go in the same direction but on the Brembo diagram you shared it's the opposite so it just looked different than I'm used to.

Impressive amount of pad thickness your calipers accommodate! Must help keep the calipers themselves cool with the extra thickness.

Knut
Old 02-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

that was just a test mounting, the rotor is backwards there in that photo.. Pads are 25mm each.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Travis,

Are you still using the stock master cylinder? How different is your new piston area versus the stock poison area?
QuadCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Stock 89SE master cylinder with original vacuum booster, 89SE did not have ABS of course.

Did not need a proportioning valve IMO. Pedal feel is excellent, modulation is excellent. I can lock up the fronts first if not careful, but much better braking on track, and street is same or better.

The Porterfield R4s pads don't work in the rain though!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrimsr View Post
Hi Vulcan,

I found that it's surprisingly straightforward to have custom stuff made and I also made my own front brakes after the stock Lotus rotors failed to hold up for me. Having stuff made isn't something to shy away from.[...]
Knut
I guess you found the solution to the replacement issue for the AP rotors. Mind sharing that info as well? My idea was to go measure the mounting holes and other dimensions of the rotor hat and also the width of the rotor and maybe give Coleman Racing a call. Just hadn't gotten to that point yet. If you don't mind sharing what you came up with that'd be great.

Last edited by Ruff Ryder 6; 02-23-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Ruff Ryder 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

Most people have the vane direction reversed on high performance rotors. I have been tracking my FD3S for about 13 years and I am surprised at the number of Porsche "experts" we have at our events that cannot figure out why their brakes aren't working as well as they did "new". When I look at the rotors, they have reversed the direction of the rotors by swapping sides, thinking that the vanes should "scoop" the air and run it into the center of the disc. However, the rotor vanes work like a centrifuge, and pull air from the middle of the rotor in the "wash area" by the hub and "fling" it outward toward the hot part of the rotor, the pad contact area.
Jim,
Have you looked at the LPBC Wilwood setup? I have it on my 89 and it works excellently, however, the rotor size may be a bit small for the V8. Perhaps Claudius has a V8 version. His Wilwood setup uses a nice differential bore 6 pot caliper. I am sure I did a write up on LEF for it when I installed it, or you can see it on my Cardomain page here :http://www.cardomain.com/ride/234682...esprit/page-6/
ArtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
I guess you found the solution to the replacement issue for the AP rotors. Mind sharing that info as well? My idea was to go measure the mounting holes and other dimensions of the rotor hat and also the width of the rotor and maybe give Coleman Racing a call. Just hadn't gotten to that point yet. If you don't mind sharing what you came up with that'd be great.
I did indeed find a slick solution to my need for some replacement front AP 320mm rotors and the pictures and some description were posted at the end of my earlier thread on this '02 V8 front/rear braking asymmetry & track fun

I'm happy to share the specifics, but I'm not sure what the etiquette is on posting exact details on this forum since folks making their living selling the replacements get adversely impacted, so if you want the exact details drop me a PM and I'm happy to share the specifics and details.

Knut
Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
maz

John, there isn't anything wrong with the brakes that are in that car. It spent the weekend with me at road America and did just fine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." (rumsfeld)
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
maz

And Blackhawks farms

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." (rumsfeld)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #19 (permalink)
maz

And autobahn country club

Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 AM   #20 (permalink)
maz

And gingerman raceway

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit