Brake Pads Upgrade and key - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Brake Pads Upgrade and key

Hello!

Gary has given me great advice, but I also wanted to know your opinion regarding brake pads. I have an 03 Esprit with 19K miles and want to change and upgrade the brake pads. I do not and will not track the car at all, but I am looking for an aggressive street pad with good bite.

I have been told either HP+ or Porterfield R4S are good. Have any of you have upgraded the pads? Would like to know your opinion.

Also, secondary: the rubber part of the keychain broke, see pic. Do you know where I could order one or if you have different ideas for this alarm chain? thanks!
Attached Images

Espritfinalrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can try looking for "cobra alarm fob", its the same FOB used in the Elise/Exige and was an off the shelf part from Cobra Alarms

Westrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

For street I was using the R4S pad and I did not like it. Need too much pressure to brake average. The OEM are by far better for street. For street, I am using the Pagid blue which is good, and good for track day too. I am using Raybestos ST-43 for track, really nice pad for who don't like push hard on the brake pedal.

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had the same problem. I e-mailed Cobra and they were nice enough to just mail me 1 for free! I didn't feel like spending $100 for a whole fob! Be careful with changing the pads. An aggressive pad may not be good till it gets hot and it may chew up your rotors. A good set of street pads will have very linear charactoristics hot OR cold and is also good "in the wet". Racing pads are no good till they get hot and can eat up a set of rotors in one day on the track.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elise Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elise/europa View Post
For street I was using the R4S pad and I did not like it. Need too much pressure to brake average. The OEM are by far better for street. For street, I am using the Pagid blue which is good, and good for track day too. I am using Raybestos ST-43 for track, really nice pad for who don't like push hard on the brake pedal.
Unfortunately you can't compare the brake system on an Elise with the Esprit.

4 Piston calipers vs 2 piston and bigger rotors, plus different proportioning and different OEM compounds when the cars were new.

-G
Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red

I needed something right away, and didn't feel like paying for something that breaks all the time...so I used the smallest black zip-tie I can find & made this...It's much much much more durable, and I think it looks OK.

For brake pads, I recommend Carbotech Performance Brakes. Very good balance between street & tracking use.
Attached Images

E5PR1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oops... I did not realise about the car was an Esprit... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbrakes View Post
Unfortunately you can't compare the brake system on an Elise with the Esprit.

4 Piston calipers vs 2 piston and bigger rotors, plus different proportioning and different OEM compounds when the cars were new.

-G

Elise 2006, white, BOE/EFI, 275 whp
List of mod: I am just stupid putting that much money on that car!
elise/europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

I concur on the R4s comment you made, I had the same issue with poor street performance on my Esprit.

I do have a set of factory Sport 350 front pads for sale, if anyone is interested PM me..
Sanj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies.

Now I am a little afraid of changing the pads, as people are telling me that they will chew up the rotors and make a mess out of it. I simply want a faster response and byte, dont really care if it squeals or dusts, but what I dont want is to screw the rotors ...

Has anyone tried the HP+ in a Esprit? Would you recommend not touching the pads and lsimply eaving the original ones in?
Old 11-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)
98 Esprit V8 Calypso Red

Well...the reason I like the Carbotech is because the ceramic compound is very easy on your rotors comparing to metallic compounds. There's a lot of brake dust, but the dust are also very easy on the wheels. I could just wipe them away with a little water.

Alan
E5PR1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Has anyone hear of the EBC Yellow pads? I have been told that they are very rotor friendly
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

I hear great stuff for the ebc yellow's,

I like the porterfield's specialy on the esprit with ap brakes wich have little more fron't
bias that I like,

they even felt great on my ferrari 575m wich is much havier car
havent got a chance to track tham but I hear good results with them,

I got the v8 esprit my 1st with ap brake's around 8k miles ago,
the previous owner put pads wich fealt like different compoud front and back,
the front had extreme bite on a soft pedal with hard accelerator pedal it was making it very hard to heal and toe without upseting the car specialy on turn's,

porterfields ballanced the car perfectly with properly flushed and bled with ATE racing blue,

the ferrari is long gone and the esprit currently has milk shake in the oil so it will be awile before I can get it runnin and punish those pads again,

wichever pads u go with Gary has great service and very fast shipping he will take care
of you,
tony94s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5PR1T View Post
I needed something right away, and didn't feel like paying for something that breaks all the time...so I used the smallest black zip-tie I can find & made this...It's much much much more durable, and I think it looks OK.

For brake pads, I recommend Carbotech Performance Brakes. Very good balance between street & tracking use.
like the zip tie
will try it on one of my shot fobs
tony94s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit