Citroen Trans Replacement - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MRDANGERUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 757
Garage
CASE CASTING FAILURES?

I'm wondering how many C35-s broke the case and/or developed an internal cracks due to a shock overloading.
What is the typical failure mode and area affected?
The case can be reinforced by adding some ribs, but internals?

Please chime in and post some pictures.
__________________
Extreme Esprit Turbo X330
__________________________________
http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 02-18-2013 at 05:55 PM.
MRDANGERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deloreanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 177
I have an 84 Turbo Esprit with the Citroen tranny being discussed and I've always wondered about swapping rear hubs, drive shafts, etc to use the later Renault tranny with outboard brakes. Surely this isn't cheap but with the Esprit being so similar over multiple years I was curious if anyone's tried this conversion?

I think I'd rather spend a little (or a lot) more doing this and not have to deal with the hassle of inboard brakes, and know that I can tune the engine for more power knowing the tranny can handle it.
__________________
1981 DeLorean DMC-12, #5086
1984 Lotus Turbo Esprit, back on the road! (rebuild thread)
deloreanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by deloreanz View Post
I have an 84 Turbo Esprit with the Citroen tranny being discussed and I've always wondered about swapping rear hubs, drive shafts, etc to use the later Renault tranny with outboard brakes. Surely this isn't cheap but with the Esprit being so similar over multiple years I was curious if anyone's tried this conversion?

I think I'd rather spend a little (or a lot) more doing this and not have to deal with the hassle of inboard brakes, and know that I can tune the engine for more power knowing the tranny can handle it.
It's shocking how many little things Lotus changed on the Esprit from year to year. Guy's webpage gives you a feel for that.

For a company with so little resources, they were constantly tweaking the car, so I bet it's a very long list of things you would have to change to make that swap.

Better just to send your box to someone like Harry Martens to get it renewed.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MRDANGERUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 757
Garage
It is quite puzzling why everybody talks about conversions instead of implementing countermeasures. If it is broken-fix it!
I guess it would be a simple job welding ribs to reinforce the casing.
__________________
Extreme Esprit Turbo X330
__________________________________
http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 02-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
MRDANGERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deloreanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 177
My point was that for someone like myself who isn't a purist or going for Concours, I'd rather put money into an upgraded solution (renault box) instead of fixing an inferior one. For someone not looking for more power, the Citroen is fine, but for those who are its already at its limit. Combine that with the headache that is the inboard brakes when trying to work with the engine, I'd rather have the modern setup with more breathing room to up the boost among other tweaks.

My tranny is fine, just talking hypothetically if it ever breaks. I'd love to find some good shots of the renault-era frame and suspension for comparison with mine.
__________________
1981 DeLorean DMC-12, #5086
1984 Lotus Turbo Esprit, back on the road! (rebuild thread)
deloreanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #26 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
sleekgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,697
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deloreanz View Post
My point was that for someone like myself who isn't a purist or going for Concours, I'd rather put money into an upgraded solution (renault box) instead of fixing an inferior one. [snip] I'd love to find some good shots of the renault-era frame and suspension for comparison with mine.
I have some photos at home that I can upload of a 89 (?) SE that took pictures at the shop while my 88 was convalescing there. Will upload tonight if possible.

FYI other considerations - your 84 uses a 5x120 bolt pattern -20mm offset wheels while the Renault-equipped cars used 5x108 positive offset wheels. At a minimum, you'd have to screw around with a rear wheel change too or at least some adapters.
__________________
Eddie B
88 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
sleekgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by deloreanz View Post
(Snip)... My tranny is fine, just talking hypothetically if it ever breaks. I'd love to find some good shots of the renault-era frame and suspension for comparison with mine.
I don't have the chassis pics you're asking for, but I can tell you that your existing chassis would work for the conversion. Just remove the transaxle, complete rear suspension, and the rear brakes and plumbing. Replace them with the parts from an SE or newer 4-cyl Esprit. In the process, you'll lose the mount for the muffler, so fabricate something for that.

The better, more cost effective solution is to sell your car and buy a later one with a Renault transaxle.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Esprit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Registered User
 
deloreanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit2 View Post
I don't have the chassis pics you're asking for, but I can tell you that your existing chassis would work for the conversion. Just remove the transaxle, complete rear suspension, and the rear brakes and plumbing. Replace them with the parts from an SE or newer 4-cyl Esprit. In the process, you'll lose the mount for the muffler, so fabricate something for that.

The better, more cost effective solution is to sell your car and buy a later one with a Renault transaxle.

Regards,
Tim Engel
You seem to forget I am attached to this car after rebuilding it, and I prefer the g-body.
__________________
1981 DeLorean DMC-12, #5086
1984 Lotus Turbo Esprit, back on the road! (rebuild thread)
deloreanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User
 
MRDANGERUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 757
Garage
My estimate for conversion from C35 to UN1 is $8-9K, assuming use of pre-owned parts. New brakes and clutch.
__________________
Extreme Esprit Turbo X330
__________________________________
http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/garage/

Last edited by MRDANGERUS; 03-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
MRDANGERUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #30 (permalink)
Registered User
 
s2mikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,886
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
My estimate for conversion from C35 to UN1 is $8-9K, assuming use of pre-owned parts. New brakes and clutch.
Hardly worth it then - for a car that likely tops out at around $20K for a mint example.
__________________
Page 65, Section LD - what ya wanna know?
s2mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.