Cleaning the frame? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning the frame?

So I have some time to myself. And since the car is all polished and looking great on the top I thought I would switch over to the bottom.

So Not sure how to ask this but has anyone used anything to clean the Galvanized frame on the Esprit.

Anybody done this and if so which product do you recommend just to clean dirt and debris off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

I used to do this on my old Esprit every year before I put it into winter storage. To cut the dirt and grime, get an empty trigger spray bottle, buy a gallon of mineral spirits (oil base paint thinner), fill the bottle and use it to spray down the grungy parts. Let it sit for awhile and use paper shop rags and/or a brush to clean it off. Once all the heavy stuff is removed, get another spray bottle, fill it with bulk WD-40 and spray down the whole underside of the chassis. Wipe off the WD-40 and dirt mix with another rag and then spray another coating of WD-40 onto the chassis. You can then wipe that off or just leave it there as a protective film. Just remember when you are done to dispose of the shop rags in a fire proof waste can or leave them outside to allow the mineral spirits and WD-40 to dissipate before you throw them away (oily rags in a closed container can spontaneously combust). I learned this method for cleaning the undersides of vehicles from an airplane mechanic who used it to clean the bellys of painted and unpainted airplanes and I am still using it on my present Elise. It does a great job of cleaning the chassis as well as dispersing any water on it to prevent corrosion.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Much appreciated!
Thanks for the very detailed instruction.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 AM

I too would like to do this; but where and how do you park? And all the drippings?

I was thinking a cheapee plastic painters tarp on driveway, car on jack stands, and wear a poncho, safety glasses and painters mask...

1998 Lotus Esprit Twin Turbo -- Sold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 04:57 AM

Much easier and probably more effective if you access a lift......

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Turbo Esprit
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM

DAWN dish liquid, the blue version is excellent at removing grease and grime and is a lot more pleasant to work with. Use it full strength on wetted surface and work it in with a brush or sponge, let it soak a while and then take the brush with water to get it off.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM

Dawn dish soap is an excellent degrease. A few years ago I had my radiator recored at a local shop. The owner gave me a tour of the place including an area where he had some incredibly huge radiators from large ocean-going cargo ships. He said that they cleaned and repaired them, that it was one of the big things his business did. He also said that by the time he got them they were. filthy beyond belief. I said "do you some super solvents to clean the fins?". He said they used Dawn! Bought it in 55 gallon drums. Scrubbed the fins with Dawn and then pressure washed out the crud.... Dawn and a scrub brush go a long way as far as degreasing is concerned.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Turbo Esprit
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 07:28 PM

I like P21s. Its a great degreaser and it doesn't attack bare aluminum or paint. Since you are most likely going to get overspray, its safe. You can find it at most motorcycle shops.
Best,

Jeff
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Tyvek suits at Homies, about $8. If you have one you're wife will appreciate it. It not you'll take a lot less time in the shower.

englishcarguy

2011 Subaru WRX STI
1993 Lotus Esprit SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.