Driving without engine bay lid - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Driving without engine bay lid

First off, let me preface by saying I was brought up believing that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. That being said, I am working on the engine bay lid on my car and next week the car is scheduled to go in the shop to fix the frame holding the radiator fans. The lid won't be done by then and my options are to put it back on the car for the drive to the shop and bringing it back home to finish while the cars in the shop, or driving it there sans engine bay lid.

I don't think there would be any problems driving without the engine bay lid, but would rather take the chance of looking dumb by asking y'all than just doing it and risk something happening. These cars do have their quirks.

DD- '97 Ford E350 diesel van
Toy- '83 Esprit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 AM

I don't think there would be a problem or danger. The only thing I can think of Bob is that the lid does seal the rear boot from the exterior environment, so over a long time period you would get grit and grime into the rear boot area. On a short drive to the shop in good weather I don't think you need to be concerned.

Tom
Laser Bob likes this.

Tom Mieczkowski
1989 Turbo Esprit
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:47 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
You will notice increased noise if you are observant. Perhaps, extra radio interference. (Did you think that the aluminum foil is applied to the engine bay walls just to look PRETTY? LOL)

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Did you think that the aluminum foil is applied to the engine bay walls just to look PRETTY?
Usually for heat transfer reasons.

"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."
- '02 Red, 1/56. Only red in the world with an ECU fan.
- '07 Grey, 1/220 in the US. Only grey in the world that is probably yellow, because color-blindedness.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM

If it is OK to drive without a wing it should be OK to drive without an engine lid! Just don't do it in the rain.
David Teitelbaum
Seraph likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM

I have driven without the engine bay lid and a fuel pressure gauge attached a few times around where I live, no problems at all. It is louder. Its funny you should post this as I just had the bay open yesterday and I was thinking why did they not have a single hatch cover instead of the lid as it does.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Dreaded Prior Owner

Stay off the unpaved stuff or your trunk will be well dusted without the cover!!

1985 BRG Turbo Esprit
+ HC, CC, Megasquirt EFI
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You will notice increased noise if you are observant. Perhaps, extra radio interference. (Did you think that the aluminum foil is applied to the engine bay walls just to look PRETTY? LOL)
I just spent the last two days scraping off all the old foil. It looked like a couple rolls of aluminum AC tape that was painted black, the paint was faded and end portions of the tape was starting to peel off and look like crap. I was going to repaint it flat black using high temp paint. Is there a special foil undercoating I should replace it with or re-apply the aluminum tape (which I would prefer not doing)? I'm not as concerned about radio interference as much as I am heat issues.

While it's out, and the car is in the shop for something unrelated, I'm also replacing the fan screen, engine lid seal, and the foam seal on the tailgate.

Toy- '83 Esprit

Last edited by Laser Bob; 02-17-2017 at 03:34 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:36 PM
S4s

I have that same question. I'm getting ready to do my engine cover with sticky foil and was wondering the same thing yesterday. Would really wide sheets be better or are they just too unwieldy.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s

Last edited by Seraph; 02-17-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 03:53 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
I would think that the important question is, CAN THE ADHESIVE STAND UP TO THE HEAT?

For that reason, I wouldn't use the foil tape that home stores sell to seal heat system ducting...

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
I would think that the important question is, CAN THE ADHESIVE STAND UP TO THE HEAT?

For that reason, I wouldn't use the foil tape that home stores sell to seal heat system ducting...
I agree 100% with that note. With the high temp of the engine in such a confined space if the adhesive of the tape does not hold it could let go and interfere with the timing belt.

Contact your Lotus parts provider and get the correct material that was used for the car.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM

Question. It would seem to me that in the heat of the summer having the bay lid off the car might make for a little extra air moving through the engine compartment and thereby help cooling - not much but maybe a little ???
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Experimentator

Garage
I have used Nashua Aluminum Repair Foil Tape, 11 mil Thick, 48 mm Width

I baked it in a dry heat at 300F for an hour (if I remember correctly) and it never failed.
Attached Images

Esprit Turbo Xtrême GT330
More Ideas: http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums...-x-330-hybrid/
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 PM
S4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRDANGERUS View Post
I baked it in a dry heat at 300F for an hour (if I remember correctly) and it never failed.
Hmmm.... your oven must be bigger than mine.
Wife is starting to look a little at me.
Laser Bob likes this.

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Looks as if MrD put the leftovers on his garage door too!

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:

The foil on mine was in bad shape some time ago. I took off the remaining foil, cleaned the lid really well with detergent and let it dry and used a good quality epoxy, spread it with a disposable foam brush on the underside of the lid and used wide and heavy weight aluminum foil and applied it. The epoxy takes some time to set up so you can get a nice tight fit on the foil with another dry disposable brush. Came out perfect and will last longer than the original I think. Mask off the edges so any epoxy drips don't go around to the top-visible side. I did the same with the trunk floor. No change since I did it about thirteen years ago, still looks great.
carbuff and snowrx like this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 08:56 AM
S4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisGood View Post
The foil on mine was in bad shape some time ago. I took off the remaining foil, cleaned the lid really well with detergent and let it dry and used a good quality epoxy, spread it with a disposable foam brush on the underside of the lid and used wide and heavy weight aluminum foil and applied it. The epoxy takes some time to set up so you can get a nice tight fit on the foil with another dry disposable brush. Came out perfect and will last longer than the original I think. Mask off the edges so any epoxy drips don't go around to the top-visible side. I did the same with the trunk floor. No change since I did it about thirteen years ago, still looks great.
Any pics?

Jim S.
1995 Esprit S4s
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 AM

I just got rid of the engine cover all together, as well as third window. Removing all this did cool the engine bay by a huge amount.
Attached Images

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 09:52 AM

One member did say that he drove around without the lid and it melted the thin plastic window surround.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

MrD- I must admit that looks real good.

Mine has been black for awhile (until the tape started peeling off and more silver started showing thru) and I haven't had any problems with heat since the carb problems got sorted out.

Was thinking of just keeping it black but was considering the tape you suggested, however I don't have a big enough oven either.
Attached Images

Toy- '83 Esprit

Last edited by Laser Bob; 02-19-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.