Engine-less Esprit for sale in Clearwater - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Engine-less Esprit for sale in Clearwater

Does anyone know anything about the yellow 1989 Esprit for sale in Clearwater Beach or Tampa FL with no engine, wheels or suspension? I am thinking about as a possible means of fixing my wrecked 1990 SE car.

The HUGE wing on the back looks terrible.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/3295310708.html
1990 Lotus Esprit SE w/AWI monoblock wheels (wrecked)
1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo w/SE bodywork and burnt pistons
StevenD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've seen this car for sale before, I think it was listed on eBay. If my faulty memory serves me correctly the guy was going to 'mod' it up for a race car but his friend who was helping and had the knowledge bailed on the project.
Type82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think it was posted on here for high 3s or 4s
Sburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
URL for the eBay ad is still around:

Esprit shell

Here's the text ad when the link dies in the future - basically a body and glass, not much more.

YOU ARE VIEWING A REAL LOTUS ESPRIT PROJECT CAR 1989 MODEL , NO MOTOR, NO TRANSAXLE, NO BRAKES, NO WHEELS ,AND TIRES , PARTS WERE SOLD OFF . WAS COVERTING IT TO A MIAMI STREET RACER . WAS GOING TO COVERT TO A LT1 CORVETTE MOTOR WITH PORSCHE TRANAXLE AND BIGGER BRAKES .INTERIOR IS OUT FOR FULL ROLL CAGE. BUT IT NEVER WAS INSTALLED . I HAVE FULL INTERIOR BUT IT WILL HAVE TO BE INSTALLED AGAIN . HELPER QUIT AND MOVED BACK NORTH . . THIS WAS A PERFECT RUNNING CAR 6 MONTHS AGO WITH 41,000 MILES ON IT . I PUT IT IN THE KIT CAR SECTION BECAUSE. YOU COULD START OUT WITH A UNPROVEN GARAGE BUILT KIT CAR WITH NO RESALE OR A REAL EUROPEAN PROVEN MUSCLE CAR . AND ADD YOUR MOTOR AND TIRES . THEN YOU HAVE A GREAT ROAD RALLY CAR OR STREET RACER WITH REAL RESALE VALUE . IN CLEARWAER FLORIDA XXX-XXX-XXXX . WILL HELP GET TO ANY FLORIDA SEA PORT OR IN A SHIPPING CONTAINER FOR EXPORT . HISTORY OF TITLE SAYS IT WAS A THIEFT RECOVERY IN FLORIDA AT ONE TIME . I BOUGHT IT IN NEW JERSEY WITH A CLEAN TITLE .
Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quick, somebody forward this to Guy. The shipping will be rather expensive for him though. he is on the other side of the US.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Guy only deals with V8's
Old 11-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've seen the car up close.

A few usable parts, as I recall the windshield is good, some of the body has been modified, many things missing in addition to the engine and tranny. Interior is a jumble, no telling what is there and what isn't. Caveat emptor.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

He posted here but I can't find the thread
Ked67madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
BANNED

If you compare that yellow car for $7600 to the red SE basket case that some poor dude on here bought for $9400 (Lotus : Esprit Turbo SE Coupe 2-Door in Lotus | eBay Motors) that yellow one is a complete rip off.

Why not pay a couple grand more and get a full car (in need of a lot of attention) instead of some aborted attempt at making a submarine? You'll easily more than make up the difference selling the parts you don't need.

I bet you could probably still buy that red SE. The guy that bought it posted here once and never came back. I bet he's trying to offload it... A broke student that came up with a bad idea to buy a run down Esprit.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164...-parts-121352/
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Tom and i saw this shell and declined to buy it for a lot less. Most of the glass, and fiberglass was good, he cut out the floor of the drivers seat and cut the chassis to fit the engine. As to the rest it was a jumble of not clear parts thrown inside.
I bought the OZ Nova wheels and the engine and tranny.

So depending on what you need it may help you, but the price is up there in the ether.

Randy
89.5 Esprit SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

I already have a wrecked but running 1990 SE car that has a bad frame and a semi-damaged body. The doors open & close fine but there is quite a bit of fiberglass damage. I picked up a replacement frame from Sanj but the amount of fiberglass repair the body needs worries me a little. So that was why I was looking at this thing at all. If it is too chopped up to save then it probably would not be worth it for me either.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
BANNED

You should try and get that red one (it's an SE too) and put your engine and gearbox in it and sell all the other pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-06-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
You should try and get that red one (it's an SE too) and put your engine and gearbox in it and sell all the other pieces.
It was definitely not clear from the auction listing that the red car needed a motor and/or gearbox. If it did then the $9400.00 price was WAY out of line in my opinion. Did the buyer indicate the engine or gearbox was toast?
Old 11-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenD57 View Post
It was definitely not clear from the auction listing that the red car needed a motor and/or gearbox. If it did then the $9400.00 price was WAY out of line in my opinion. Did the buyer indicate the engine or gearbox was toast?
No the ad said nothing about a bad engine. But it really sounds like this guy bought that car, and he said it needed one:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164...-parts-121352/

If he did buy that one, I bet he's trying to offload it since he doesn't have the time, skills, or money to fix a beater Esprit. A good buy opportunity for the right person, like one looking for a solid chassis and they already have a good engine.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-06-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

The disappointing thing is he posted once and never replied back to any of the many posts from others. He never confirmed if he bought the red one off of ebay or not.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
The disappointing thing is he posted once and never replied back to any of the many posts from others. He never confirmed if he bought the red one off of ebay or not.
Given the facts, I would bet he bought that one: Only about 100 91 SE's in the US, so not that many for sale at any given time, an he said he just bought it, and that 91 just sold. Buyer said it had 52K miles which matches exactly -- what are the chances? And he said it was in rough shape, which is clearly the case of what was sold on eBay.

Add all that up, and I'd put my money that he bought that car.

But I bet he did or he's trying to give it back. So if you try the seller and let him know you are interested even given the condition (with a salvage title), I wouldn't be surprised if he can help you.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

As far as the yellow car in Clearwater (which Randy and I went and inspected about a month ago). We bought the engine and transmission from the current owner. AS far as my impressions and memories of the car:

1. The basic body seemed sound - but the guy cut out a section of the floor under the driver's seat. However, given that it is "hidden" I think repairing it would not be too big an issue. The windshield, quarter glass pieces, doors, front bonnet, roof panel, and unibody structure seems in good repair. So from a body perspective the car would probably be useful as a source for a basic body swap. HOWEVER, the rear hatch has been modified considerably. Look at the pictures and you can see that it is no longer an OEM rear hatch. Likewise the front bumper has been modified and the rear bumper was damaged. I do not recall checking the door glass and door components, so I don't know if all the door elements are present. Al the interior pieces were piled up inside the car in a heap and we did not sort through it. The car was very dirty.

2. The guy was intending to put another engine in the car and chopped out the main frame cross-bracing under the front of the engine. That would need to be repaired if you wanted to use the frame with a standard 910 engine.

3. The suspension components are incomplete. As I remember the front was complete including the hubs. The rears did not have hubs. There were no brake components on the car, but the owner said he could retrieve them.

The car will require a dolly or trailer to move. It cannot roll as the rear has no hubs and the car has no wheels. My understanding is that the current owner lifted it up on a trailer using a fork lift in order to transport it to its current location. The owner was pretty accurate in describing the car to us, so I would think asking him specific questions about what is and isn't on the car will get an honest answer. I think the car as is is worth maybe $2k or so to someone who could use the parts. Transport will not be cheap or uncomplicated. Unless you want a yellow car you also have to factor in painting. I really did not look at the current quality of the paint, but obviously that will also have a cost consequence for anyone who purchases it as a parts car.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Out of curiousity, I emailed the eBay seller and he said the car is gone and sold...to Missouri. Which is the location of the original poster...

I still think the buyer is likely to want to offload it given his/her circumstances.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-07-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
Out of curiousity, I emailed the eBay seller and he said the car is gone and sold...to Missouri. Which is the location of the original poster...

I still think the buyer is likely to want to offload it given his/her circumstances.
Or the buyer could just be storing it away until he/she comes into some additional funds. Or he could have it at some know-nothing mechanic screwing it up. We won't know for sure unless he posts here again. He might have been put off by all the people who told him to dump it and only come back when he has a better income. I.E. go away kid, don't bother us until you get a real job.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Or the buyer could just be storing it away until he/she comes into some additional funds. Or he could have it at some know-nothing mechanic screwing it up. We won't know for sure unless he posts here again. He might have been put off by all the people who told him to dump it and only come back when he has a better income. I.E. go away kid, don't bother us until you get a real job.
Don't think he was put off by us. If you look at his stats, he posted, left, and never came back before the first reply was written.

Let's hope he waits until he has a job before he dives too deep into one of these cars. They are not affordable for a full time student strapped for cash. It won't be good for him, and it won't be good for the future of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit