The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Esprit V8 intercooling -CREATIVE CONCEPTS

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  MRDANGERUS 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I have looked at all of the options and kits available for the V8 and the only issue I keep coming back to is the simple fact that ALL of these systems, as well engineered as they are, and as awesome in design and execution, they are all terribly complex in materials! There are so many junctions, couplers, clamps, pipes, hoses and fittings that it is just failure prone from the word "Go"! The V8 uses the 2 secondary 600cc/min injectors to dump fuel and help cool the higher boost hot charge, but this too is not ideal. A low volume, cool temperature Methanol Injection system in my opinion is the best compromise for both needs. I am currently working with Snow Performance on an Esprit V8 stage 2 kit that offers a variable boost setting and progressive controller along with twin 60L/min nozzles that should help cool the intake charge by over 100F and allow the engine to burn the additional methanol without washing out the cylinders as larger more commonly offered 175L/min standard kit nozzles. The kit will come on at 7-8psi and stay on until the lower limit threshold is reestablished at 7-8psi. A progressive controller will allow a smooth transition online and keep from bogging the engine like a sudden "on" switch would create. The tank would be the largest fitment issue to contend with, but the benefit of a 2.5gal tank would pay dividends in the long run. I am sure someone has fitted a similar setup in their V8, Gmendoza for one comes to mind, but I am not sure of his specifications. All in all, a compact, simple, much lower cost, and proven method to cool the intake charge.
Artie
99 V8

#6 ·
As novel a system and as intelligent the concept is, a 25lb tank in an otherwise cramped boot space, is not an ideal system for accomplishing the cooling desired. The engine was not designed to burn fuel and air at such cold temperatures so that might pose an issue. Methanol injection is much more compact, tested and easy to install over propane. And many diesel performance companies promote propane injection, but there is much more space to fit it!

#5 ·
when I think about all the added weight/complexity of intercooling, especially air-water intercooling, and then I think of how cheap an AEM water/meth kit is and how easy it is to set up, I wonder why not just run water-meth?

#7 ·
we have done a TON of AWIC setups on many cars... the setup in the video will not work well on track...at all and on street if there is stop and go traffic, its worthless as well. coolers are too small and poor design(used them before) and there is no storage tank. rad core is too small as well. once the water heats up, it won't cool with that system.

we have tested and designed many types of setups for street and track. none on a V8TT lotus but the logic is the same.

#9 ·
We?
Properly designed chargecoolers have been proven to work. The systems available are definitely well engineered, but from a maintenance perspective, all of the joints, couplers and plumbing, it is just a complicated addition. Any reduction in intake temps will help improve output, but in this unique application, I think meth/h2o injection is the best bang for the buck.

#8 ·
In case it's helpful and folks have lost sight of it, quite some time back I posted the details on the intercooler setup in my V8 along with the resulting intake air temp results from vigorous track use. My setup does not encroach into the luggage compartment and involves no hacking and is entirely reversible. Just search on threads with my user name and it should be easy to find.

My setup is still installed and has held up well to vigorous use.

Knut

#13 · (Edited)
V8 INTERCOOLING PROJECT

Hello Everyone driving V8!

Finally, someone made an effort to design and manufacture a great dual c/cooler kit for V8 Esprits!

Pro Alloy had indicated, that if there will be enough interest in this kit, they'll make a new production run.

Very compact and it fits behind the stock wall. Look and judge for yourself!

I'm thinking about a possible group buy.

More participants = lower cost!

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone driving V8!

Finally, someone made an effort to design and manufacture a great dual c/cooler kit for V8 Esprits!

Pro Alloy had indicated, that if there will be enough interest in this kit, they'll make a new production run.

Very compact and it fits behind the stock wall. Look and judge for yourself!

Contact pro Alloy directly to volunteer your participation in this project.

More participants = lower cost!
Is there a ballpark cost? Do they have any hard data on their kit?

I recently had the opportunity to check out a well known kit. IMO, it didn't perform very well. The car was down on boost, only making about 8psi. Even then cruising charge temps were about 20* above ambient. On short runs on boost, charge temps got up to 60* above ambient temps. I'm sure temps would be worse if boost increased.

#18 ·
Ok, so that guy on the Lotus Forum that said he would take his car in so Pro Alloy can use it to take measurements, is keen!

Only condition is that if they need it for a long time he would rather do it over their winter. He is calling Pro Alloy to talk things over.

Sounding promising :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.