Esprit V8, should I keep it or sell? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Esprit V8, should I keep it or sell?

Hello Members:
I posted a similar thread in the general discussion area, but only one response. Here is my question, only want to keep one of three fantastic weekend cars. Have a 03 Audi RS6, a 99 BMW 540 Supercharged Widebody show car and the 97 Esprit V8. My Esprit is pristine, have upgraded OZ wheels, fanatically maintained its whole life, 34 K miles, have Race ECU, Performance exhaust, custom Lotus steering wheel, etc etc, stock setup right now. It is the hard to find Red on black leather. My dilemma is which one to keep. Just don't have time to drive them all. Will the value of the Esprit go up in the future in your opinion, if I decide to find a new home, what is fair market value? I live in Southern California. Any input is much appreciated!
LOTUS4CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like to me you have two more common cars, and one exotic. Should not be hard to figure out which two of the three will depreciate more in the future.

Maybe consider the one you enjoy driving the most, and punt the others. Not enough free weekends a year to have three weekend cars. If you are truly a collector, that is another matter all together.

The Audi is probably the most reliable, most people are tired of BMW's unless it is brand new and you are a lawyer or stock broker, the Lotus will probably always draw the most attention, because of the design, and how few are seen. You will not be considered that unique in the Audi or BMW.

Which one would you rather be seen in, if you ran into the worlds hottest chick?

That is probably the correct answer.

If you do not enjoy working on and maintaining them, punt the BMW and Lotus.

I doubt a '97 would bring more than $30k in today's market, you could buy a really good 2002 for $41k, from your other post.

Brian

Last edited by bharper; 01-16-2013 at 03:56 PM.
bharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Brian for you appreciated insight.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTUS4CC View Post
Thanks Brian for you appreciated insight.
Post pics and guess on asking price before you decide! I'm in the market...
MidLifeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

You are on a Lotus forum, and in-particular, an Esprit sub-forum...I think most people will lean towards the Esprit in this case...I know I do...
2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
91MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Keep it.

Your Esprit sounds like my first one, did the steering wheel have a red color match piece in it??
03redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
As per your posting, if depreciation is a priority, keep the Audi. A widebody custom BMW is going to be a hard sell. And Lotus historically rarely appreciate. But you're talking 2 sedans vs a sports car. What is your daily driver? That would affect the choice to sell too.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Consider this: IF (a BIG if) Lotus releases another Esprit, it will probably be in the $160k-$200k range, making older Esprits seem cheap. A new Esprit would also help establish the model line as a "classic" name/model, adding to value.

If you still want to get rid of it, sell it to me.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Esprit

Thanks members for the insight !!!
I have decided to sell her, only because of practicality! I have too many bikes and cars and have to be realistic with upkeep and time involved in driving and riding them. I would love to find a new home. Literally you will be hard pressed to find a nicer 97 around. Yes, mine has a secondary steering wheel with the red inserts!!! Has both race and Sport exhausts, stock and race ECUs, electron ic boost controller, blow off valves, K & N filter, upgraded OZ wheels, tires almost new, upgraded stereo, Red on flawless black leather, fanatically maintained. List goes on and on. I would rate the interior a 9.8, exterior a 9.7, mechanics are mint according to Symbolic motors in San Diego, CA. 34K miles If you want details, give me a ring, 213 216 -2285, located in southern California. Very reasonable price compared to what I have seen out there. Thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would get rid of the BMW, I work on them daily at a dealer and unless you are a mechanical/ and technical person it won't be long before you have to dump a ton of money reselling the whole engine and/ or replacing the timing chain guide (horseshoe guide) which requires the whole front of the engine coming apart. Either of those jobs will cost you 5-8k, not to mention you need special tools to do both, although those engines are bulletproof they need serious upkeep. The other alternative is to trade your v8 esprit for my 91 se, then you won't feel as bad about having a 30k car that doesn't get driven, it will just be a 15k car that doesn't get driven
bbarton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Resealing not reselling
bbarton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlj3394 View Post
Consider this: IF (a BIG if) Lotus releases another Esprit, it will probably be in the $160k-$200k range, making older Esprits seem cheap. A new Esprit would also help establish the model line as a "classic" name/model, adding to value.

If you still want to get rid of it, sell it to me.
I agree - I feel that the Esprit, especially the most "sorted" models from each era are terribly undervalued. The down economy hurts but its other factors too. The thing with values is that with exotics, very often(not always), the best cars and example sare simply never or rarely for sale. So, the e-bay jalopies selling for $13K to $25K depending on model are not a true measure of the market for GOOD cars.

Back to the OPs original question: Its such a no brainer to me, the Esprit is a piece of automotive foklore. The Bimmer and Audi, while nice cars, are well into the "so what"? category
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
BANNED

You made the right choice. An Esprit is a car worth owning only if you are passionate about the brand and the car itself. If it's already been sitting without driving, then you already exposed your lack of passion for the car, and just like with women, once that's gone it doesn't come back. You definitely don't hold Esprits to make money. I know it will make it into the hands of someone with the passion, but what's more rare, is for the car to make it into the hands of someone that will care for it going forward. I love looking at ads for Esprits for sale, and it's amazing how some treat them like garbage.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

Leads me to why I just sold my 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo, in EXTREMELY good condition, not a dent or scratch, impreccably interior, maintenance, engine dressed up, no rice whatsoever... I simply "outgrew it" at 50 years of age. Crazy fast too.

Sadly, like so many it is undervalued though IMHO due to other additionall reasons -
> Wasnt in "Fast and Furious" (Look at values of Supra's which was in the movies)
> Made too many of them
> Too many not taken care of
> Too many (meaning LOTS AND LOTS!) "riced out"

At least with the Esprit's it is rare even on the interweb to find ones with stupid big bolt on, one size fits all rear wings..
MidLifeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
BANNED

He kept it in the end!

[No Longer FS] 1997 Lotus Esprit V8, one of nicest around, Southern California

Didn't see that coming.

Hope he starts driving it so it doesn't dry rot in the garage.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit