Failed NY State Inspection - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Failed NY State Inspection

I have a 2001 that I just have finished some front end repairs and went to get my first NY State inspection (it previously was registered in CA).

I failed to pass, as their equipment could not communicate with the car. This puzzled me, as I have an Innova scan tool that I have been using, and it does communicate with the car. Had them try both ADL connectors (under the dash and back by the engine). Same thing...it stated that they could not communicate with the vehicle

Got home and plugged in my Innova scanner...and it connected right away. No DTC present. It passed most of the Inspection and Maintanence Monitors steps. There were three that were blinking yellow (EVA, AIR O2S), which was saying that the inspection was in process. Took and drove it for a while and was not able to get these three to go green (they stayed yellow).

I'm confused, as to why the NYS inspection machine could not communicate with the car. Since the Esprit 2001 is OBDII compliant...I would think that there is no unique equipment required for them to be able to commuicated with the car.

Do not know what is required to get the 3 I/M monitors to go green (EVA, AIR, O2S).

Any thoughts?
2001 Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

the timing is a bit odd, so it only works with some scan tools, OBD II is a fairly tight spec, but unfortunately the tools don't always comply.

as for the codes, evap system and 02 sensors not ready, so for some reason they're not setting, if theres a fault you'd expect to see a code , so its possible they're not supported, somethings faulty and not throwing a code ( look for something pending) , or the ecu is being reset at every startup and not giving a chance for the codes to set, although they'll usually set after a drive and not turning the car off.

do you have anthing removed from the evap system, cat change etc?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have not changed anything. However, the previous owner deleted the muffler and replaced it with straight pipes. I was also told that he put the "red race" chip in (but I have not confirmed this).

One thing that I forgot to mention was that I had the battery disconnected just prior to going for inspection. I have since run the car ~12 miles and have started it ~dozen times.

Your note did make me think about a problem I caused during some repairs. I replaced one of the rear engine gas struts....and I had taken off the strut lower mount (to the engine fire wall). When I put it back I had inadvertantly caught the main vacuum line under one of the mounting washers (and essentially crushed it flat). I found this out when I was trouble shooting why the HVAC actuator flap was no longer working (it had no vacuum). I then found the crushed area and took it out from under the mounting washer. As far as I could tell, the line was not ruptured. It did hold a vacuum. However, it gradually decreased....over like 20 seconds....and I attributed it to my gage leaking....as the HVAC valve now was working.

I expect neither of these have anything to do with my current issue.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

12 miles might not be far enough for it to cycle, but disconnecting the battery shouldn't cause it to lose the state, since its onboard flash , restarting it isn't enough.

some of the lotus race tunes come from their track cars that don't have emisisons equipment, i don't know enough about the car to have a good handle on it though.

50 miles ought to be more than enough.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
maz

with the v-8's it can take several driving trips. up to a hundred miles or so to get all the readinesss tests passed. also it helps to let the car go through a fan cycle, and then one with the ac blasting. i used to hate that.
"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know." (rumsfeld)
maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Failed inspection

The three monitors you are talking about should set when the vehicle is started from cold and allowed to warm up to operating temp idling with the A/C off. If they do but do not remain set after a re-start then you have a blown fuse or poor connection on a fuse in the rear auxilliary fuse box (which one escapes me right now) This is because when the V8 Esprits are cranking the main power feed to the ECM is taken away and the internal memory function is retained by a fuse feed from the rear fusebox. As far as the State Inspection equipment not communicating that is a problem with the compatability of the machine they use. If you have another inspection station with a different machine try that one. If the cranking feed to the ECM is present and the monitors still re-set there is a different flash that can be installed that allows the monitors to clear easier. Just tell your dealer to contact their FSE.
m111mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for the post.

I went this morning and checked all the fuses in the rear. All ok. I did not (yet) try to see if there is an faulty fuse connector.

Started the car from cold and let it run for ~ 20 minutes. The three Inspection & Maintanence monitors still showed in process (EAV, AIR and O2S). I recently upgraded to a 4 row radiator, so the fans never came on (temp never went above 185 deg F).

Can you think what the issue would be on these three? Note: I had the battery recently disconnected....but have since put on about 80 miles and had maybe 4 cold starts....and probably a dozen starts in total.

I will also be trying another station
thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

EVA is the evaporation, AIR is the secondary air injection for cold start, O2S are the O2 sensors, the systems are somewhat dependant on each other, so if ones failed, the others might not set, but i can only guess as to what.

o2 sensors, leak, fuel cap.

i'll have a look through the V8 firmware, see if i can see what ties to what.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

contact the local health department or air resource board. there are some cars that emissions machines will not communicate with for various reasons, the head of the department should be able to provide you with information if your car is on that list...our i/m program offers alternative testing methods for these cars and the health department will often do the test for free if you own something exotic...then again i am in utah
Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

If it really has the red race chip, that entirely ignores the rear o2 sensors, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it makes emissions computers complain.

That said, it does take a lot of driving cycles and very specific conditions to get all the emissions crap to run. You need to do several cold starts, and a lot of light throttle highway cruising in a high gear to get everything to run.

Friend of mine went through complete hell regging his V8 in Cali.
Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

The car came from California....so I expect that the previous owner was able to pass emissions (cannot confirm this, as not able to contact previous owner).

I have now done probably ~100+ miles with > 1/2 dozen cold starts...and ~1/2 dozen hot starts...at all sorts of speeds (around town, on the highway, etc)

The 3 I/M monitors still show as "in progress" (EVA, O2S, AIR). I'm wondering....do these ever show up as having completed diagnostics for OBD2?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

so that makes sense, like i said some of the flashes come off the race cars so no emissions, so therefore no readiness codes.

not all smog places check readiness codes, and there are lot of places in cali you can 'pass', depending on the car as well they'll let it go since some cars do not support all obd ii readiness codes, being 2001 its borderline, especially if they couldn't get it to comunicate.

it'll fail the CVN check too, if they do that.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Failed Inspection

Have your dealer contact their feild service engineer annd tell them that the ecm needs the latest software and firmware installed. The program that fixes the readiness test portion is P6520302. If you have a red race computer installed that is not emission compliant.
m111mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
My car sneezes

As posted on another forum:
Quote:
Try these

1. The best way to get the O2 heater, EVAP and Secondary AIR tests to run is
to idle the vehicle. I just started it from cold and let it idle until it
had reached fully warm and these three bits had reset.

2. As you know the O2 sensor and the EGR were a bit trickier, but we
modified the calibration to make the conditions for the checks a bit easier
to hold. In general for the O2 sensor you need to run pretty steady on the
throttle between 35-55mph in 5th for half a minute or so. For EGR the enable
conditions are engine speed above 1500rpm and a light acceleration for about
10 seconds, this should keep the load on the engine just higher than normal
cruising roadload and allow a high enough level of EGR for the test to run.

3. I'm still looking through the catalyst monitor test code, but when I did
the checks here this test ran very easily during normal driving of the car.
I managed to reset the CAT monitor bit just driving the car along the road
into Wymondham (50mph limit)

The reason that the EVAP was not completed could be that the engine was not
cold enough when it was started and idled through to fully warm, a cold
start and idle should reset this one.

As for the oxygen sensor and EGR I'm not sure....

However if the dealership has a Tech1 that they can hook up to the car and
monitor engine data whilst they drive, the window for the oxygen sensor test
is engine speed between 1140 and 2200rpm, throttle position between 3.5 and
10.5% and MAP between 30 and 65 kPa, (usually 50mph in 5th gear). They need
to stay in this window for at least 35 seconds.

The EGR window is a bit more complicated, but in general the engine speed
needs to be greater than 1500rpm and the MAP needs to be greater than 45
kPa, but not too much greater because the EGR rate will start to reduce with
increasing MAP. That's why a gentle acceleration for about 10 seconds from
an engine speed of 1700rpm is enough to reset the EGR bit.
If all else fails, contact Dave Simkin. PM me if you need his number.
gmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

gmendoza
thanks for the detail. This is what I was looking for
Old 12-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #16 (permalink)

If you are in Westchester County and you need help getting it inspected let me know...
rr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi All,
I just bought a 2001 and am in California. I am having the same flags as '2001 Esprit' had and after looking for 3 places and finally got the OBD to read. But the flags are there after two driving cycles. Need some help to get my fist smog test in CA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stanley
ssoaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)

If I'm not mistaken, what 2001Esprit was saying....the NY emission machine simply will not communicate with the Lotus ecu. No handshake between device. Similar to your PC or laptop usb port that needs to be
recognized by loading the proper driver & proper IRQ.

I don't think anything to do with readiness or something you guys are advising.
I have the same situation when my OBD2 scanner can't communicate with my Honda s2000 until I bought another scanner with different pinning. I guarantee, your scanner has different pinning from the NY emission machine.
http://pinoutsguide.com/connector/16...onnector.shtml

On the other hand, its hard to believe your Esprit has different pinning, I'm sure there
are lots of Esprit V8 owners(before you) in NY and they all works.
Did you use the plug in the trunk (rear hatch) or the one in the passenger compartment?

Last edited by s2kseven; 11-06-2010 at 04:30 PM.
s2kseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

There were communication problems with certain State equipment, NY being one of them. Some of the improvements with the High Torque Upgrade of the ECU also corrects timing problems that prevent communication. If you do NOT have the HTU of the ECU you will need to get it for NY. I do not think you can do that with the red chip. You may have to get a "stock" chip to pass inspection. This is not a readiness problem so do not try reseting or driving the car to fix this. Contact Lotus USA and speak to Mike Fisher or Dave Simkin.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thank you all! When I read Esprit 2001 first post, he first had the communication problem and then he has three yellow flags when he plug in the one that he could communicate with.
Here I am having exactly same issues. My Lotus mechanic can read the CPU and after he checked with three smog stations by his shop, he found one that can read my ECU. Then after running the test, I have O2 sensor not ready and EVAP not ready. CA allows only one flag so I need to at least clear one.
Here m111mk2 here said that I need the P6520302 program to clear the flay. Any idea?
I tried to call Lotus car USA and all I get was the answering machine and no one return my call. Can any one of you kindly provide a number for either David Simkin or Mike Fisher?

Thanks and it is very helpful for a new guy like me!
Stanley
ssoaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit