Help removing shift components - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

Help removing shift components

I'm trying to get at and replace the bushings at the gear shift end of the linkage, not the transmission end. These connect the cable ends to something, huge amount of play in mine, I can visibly see its very bad, 4 inches of shift motion, no cable movement. However, I cannot imagine how this part is removed to gain access to those cable ends? I'm working on the plate, I'm on screw 4 of 4 (got 3 out already), shop manual states to then slide the plate back, then remove 4 bolts, then pull up and out. Shift handle, boot already out and badly worn where the reverse safety plate hits some small knob, and one pin (of two) is missing completely.

Anyway, even if I drill and remove that 4th screw, slide the plate back, can't see how the mechanical part attached to the cables then comes out. There is also some insulating hard foam between that metal plate and the rest of the unit.

I'm happy to send pics if this is not making sense.
UnderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I did mine recently. It didn't seem like you could get it out without removing the center console, but you can!

what year your esprit? On my 93, I was able to remove the armrest storage and trim that covers the shifter. then, I removed the lighter and tray under the AC controls. after that, remove the 4 screws that hold the rubber shift boot.

Once all of that is out of the way, I was able to remove the 4 or 6 screws that held the thin metal plate over the shifter. Remove the shift handle by removing the pich bolt from the side of the shifter. then, I was able to slide the metal plate backward under the center console arm area. Once that was out of the way, you should have full access to the main shifter bolts!

Important! I had to release the shifter cables from the translator at the back of the tranny so that I had enough slack in the cables to be able to remove the shifter assembly from the center console.

Back in the car, you should be able to easily take the shifter out and relase the cables from the underside of the shifter. once the cables are disconnected, you are done with the removal!!!
QuadCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

btw, a little slop in the shifter bushing translates into alot of movement in the shift handle. I was surprised just how much tighter the shifter was after freshening the unit.

Last edited by QuadCam; 11-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks. So I'm on the right track. It is just that those 4 screws are not easily accessed, I had to drill to get to one of them so far.

Good point on removing from the translator at the tranny, the manual also mentioned this.

'89 SE
Old 11-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

You are on the right track. I replaced my shifter cables a couple of years ago and I had to do some drilling to get to the final four hold-down screws. From what I remember hearing on the list is at least some of those screws almost always require some drilling to access them. Lotus obviously layered everything over the top of the shifter unit and didn't worry too much about what happens when you have to service it!

While you have it visible check the cable attachments at the shifter end and look closely at the 90 degree bends at the end of the cables. This is where mine broke and I hear this is a weak spot - check to see if there are any cracks right at the bend.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, now I need parts

Got some time today to finish removing stuff. Got the shift unit removed. I'll post some pics shortly, need to xfr from phone. Anyway, I purchased some bushings from jae, but they now don't look correct. From pics (in next post), I have rubber with metal bushing inserts. Rubber is completely deteriorated, so I removed what remained. I cannot remove the metal part, and don't have replacements anyway.

So, what part #'s to replace these? And how to do so?

And I also need the sleve on the shift lever, one pin broken off, and the reverse inhibitor part looks like it had some plastic around it but it too is gone. Pics will help explain, but I'd rather just purchase a new or used shift handle and sleve. Part #s?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Pics of shift parts I need

Here's the shift sleeve:

And here's the shift unit:
Old 11-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

And check out the foam I had to cut through

This was not expected: I found the previous owner or someone sprayed that expanding foam everywhere in the shift unit area, took a long time to get it out, it had oozed its way all over the shift cables, making it extreemely difficult to remove the unit!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Underdog,

The replacement brass bushings that go through the rubber grommets are supplied in two pieces; one is a flanged sleeve that goes through the grommet, the other one is a washer. You will have to drill out the old ones before you can install the new grommets. Once the grommets are in, install the sleeve bush through the grommet, then place the washer over the end. You will need to peen the lip of the sleeve bush with a hammer and suitable punch to capture the washer. I think I used a large steel ball from a bearing.

The issue with your shifter stalk is common, you should be able to fabricate a replacement bush from Delrin or other hard plastic. The missing guide pin is an ordinary roll pin. Depending on the extent of the damage, you may also need to replace the aluminum baulk block. I've got one up on eBay.

Edit: I also have the sleeve you need, with a fabricated reverse inhibitor -- I sent you a PM with pictures.

Last edited by Sanj; 11-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Sanj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

spray foam....... what a mess!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Here's a picture showing all the refurbishment parts that are available.

Part Number A082F4208J – Gear Lever Master Unit overhaul – pre 1998 MY, comprising:
Cross shaft bush x 2, Crinkle washer x 2, Spherical bearing bush x 2, Lever bush x 2, Rod end bush x 2, Rod end bush washer x 2,
Reverse block x 1, Fitting instructions.
List price 150.00
GEAR LEVER MASTER UNIT REPAIR KIT
Lever cross shaft bush A082F6589S 2 off
Crinkle washer A082F6594S 2 off
Spherical bearing bush A082F6588S 2 off
Lever bush A082F6590S 2 off
Isolator bush A082F6591S 2 off
Lever bush washer A082F6592S 2 off
Reverse block A082F6363F 1 off
Instructions LSL503 1 off

Old 12-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

All Done!!!

Project complete! What a difference, very tight shifts now, and no more worry about hitting reverse by accident.

Thanks all for help, parts, advice. That steel ball bearing and trusting my wife with a hammer was fun!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit