Hot starts on the V8 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: How many seconds to start when hot?
Immediately 3 21.43%
1 to 2 seconds 5 35.71%
3 to 5 seconds 5 35.71%
more than 5 seconds 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

The reasons for hot restart problems can vary greatly depending on the fuel system being used, the year, make and model. The newer the system the less likely the problem. Newer systems have less mechanical problems. Older more mechanical fuel injection and carburetors have more problems. If you have a problem, the fuel being sold today seems to exaggerate the problem. If there is any common denominator it would be the fuel. That being said, a fuel system working properly should not have a hot restart problem. The system used on the V-8's is very different from the 4 cyl and among the 4 cyl, on the older ones, they use the mechanical K-Jet system. Each has it's own causes of hard hot restart. On the V-8 if you do not achieve a fast enough cranking speed the motor will not start. The ECU is not getting crank pulses fast enough. Maybe those that have replaced the crank sensor and noticed an improvement set the gap properly when they installed the new one and the old one was set a little wide.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
Maybe those that have replaced the crank sensor and noticed an improvement set the gap properly when they installed the new one and the old one was set a little wide.
David Teitelbaum
I have removed and reinstalled the crank on the V8, and you don't have a choice in the spacing. It fits where it fits.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 AM   #23 (permalink)

If you look in the manual there is a procedure under R & R ing the crank sensor to check and add or remove shims to achieve the proper clearance to the vanes on the pulley.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 AM   #24 (permalink)
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
If you look in the manual there is a procedure under R & R ing the crank sensor to check and add or remove shims to achieve the proper clearance to the vanes on the pulley.
David Teitelbaum
Thanks, I'll check that out!
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Did you replace the crank sensor yourself? I replaced the cam sensor myself but warm start problem persists. I notice a rich mixture smell in my idle and I'm not sure if the jets are putting too much fuel into the cylinders so that restarting would be a problem. The reason I mention this is because even if I shut the engine down after a minute or two following the first start, it doesn't start as quickly as originally.
mac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit