The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How in the world wtf

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Senna's Dad 
#1 ·
How to get the white football shaped piece onto the steel ball? This is the window guide and I've been at it for hours now...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That part looks like nylon . . . a material that would have appropriate properties for the intended purpose. Not-so-common knowledge about nylon is that it is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs water. In the 1970's, before exotic materials were commonly available, I used nylon propellers on model aircraft. I'd turn a 6" diameter prop at 30,000 to 35,000 rpm on my racers. That rpm equates to a tip speed of 900 feet per second or about Mach 0.80. The nylon prop was at risk of exploding from the centripetal force unless it was first boiled in water for about 15 minutes. In between flights I'd store the prop in a moist rag to keep the water content up. Adding water to the nylon made it stronger and more flexible and able to withstand the forces of such high rpm.

So immersing your nylon part in hot water (if it is nylon) will soften it with heat. If you boil it for about 15 minutes, you will also add moisture to the nylon and make it stronger, more flexible and less likely to break when you stretch the socket over the metal ball.

Glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.