Hussie the S4... - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Hey MeisterS4,

You are alive and well! I have pm'd and emailed you a few weeks ago, check both, and get back to me. I sent you a proposal of helping get your registry online.

The color is called Silk Red, which is lotus B07, with I believe a trim code of XX04, which I believe is called magnolia (with maroon piping on the seats). Last six digits are 61487, built in Sep94. It does have the brembo's, and the smaller front 58mm hub shoulder like the V8.

I had never seen a 'photo' of a silk red S4 in the field, however, lotus did use that color on a bunch of the S4 brochures and adverts, so we know there is at least one more, probably a UK model. I can post a few of those if you like.

Front valence is missing some paint, probably from more than one encounter with a speed bump or parking block. Or someone was throwing really big rocks at it. Strange damage. And a couple of scrapes on the sides of the front bumper.

Thanks!

Brian
bharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Brian, sorry to Hijack, but what part of West Virginia are you in?
Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

Hey Jason,

Pleased to meet you!

Parkersburg....

dang, looking at your list, you have the lotus curse too!

Brian
Old 01-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hello, I have only owned my Esprit for a little over a week and haven't checked out everything yet, but I can tell you that you need to be careful with the BOV. Be sure to not vent metered air. I am noy sure where the sensors are, other will know. I have noticed that most cars including mine have a closed system BOV.
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

The Esprit V8 and 4cyl 89-S4s use a ABS Manifold Pressure (MAP) system, so no need to recirculate a BOV back into the airbox. Though the Esprit 910 often has oil in the intake tract from the crank-case breather, so any oil mist might be sprayed by the BOV into the engine bay.
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LantanaTX View Post
Hello, I have only owned my Esprit for a little over a week and haven't checked out everything yet, but I can tell you that you need to be careful with the BOV. Be sure to not vent metered air. I am noy sure where the sensors are, other will know. I have noticed that most cars including mine have a closed system BOV.
to add to what vulcan said, the delco fuel injection system doesn't use an air meter; it is a "speed density" system. Since there is no air actually being "metered," it causes no trouble to vent the BOV to atmosphere.

And actually, these days you can vent alot of vehicles that use mass air systems. if you have a blow through style MAF, you can vent to atmosphere as long as place the BOV between the turbo and the MAF....don't put it between the MAF and the intake manifold.

I can go on...... I've done some weird stuff with BOVs in the past.... in situations where alot people said you can't vent them to atmosphere. You can do it with spring pressures and preloading, etc. It might not be ideal sometimes, but it can be done without issue.
QuadCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
to add to what vulcan said, the delco fuel injection system doesn't use an air meter; it is a "speed density" system. Since there is no air actually being "metered," it causes no trouble to vent the BOV to atmosphere.

And actually, these days you can vent alot of vehicles that use mass air systems. if you have a blow through style MAF, you can vent to atmosphere as long as place the BOV between the turbo and the MAF....don't put it between the MAF and the intake manifold.

I can go on...... I've done some weird stuff with BOVs in the past.... in situations where alot people said you can't vent them to atmosphere. You can do it with spring pressures and preloading, etc. It might not be ideal sometimes, but it can be done without issue.
Thanks for the info. I am aware of what you mention, just haven't gotten up to speed on my Lotus yet. I had assumed there might be some metering going on only becuase people seem to be using closed BOV's on these cars, including the PO of my car. I do believe the closed systems are quieter. Mine sounds like the Latte is almost ready.
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #28 (permalink)

Hussie apparently had a front impact back in the 90's, and the passenger air bag is gone. Has anyone successfully added back a glove box in a air bag car? The earlier 94 model lid looks too wide, since an air conditioner vent was added to the left of the air bag cover.

Ideas?

Brian
Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #29 (permalink)

Brian, I am very happy to hear about the work you are doing to your Esprit. We need more owners like yourself, truly we do. You seem way more than qualified to handle this job, but if you have any ?'s, feel free to PM me. I'll do what I can to help.

www.91MR2.multiply.com
91MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #30 (permalink)

91MR2,

Thanks for your support and offer to help, I'm sure I will need it. The passion for the lotus marquee runs deep with me, and even though I have messed with lotuses for years, you learn something new every day, or you are not moving forward.

I knew this car was going to take some tlc, and I may be on the verge of going overboard for the first service, but I feel this car deserves better than it has seen in the past, and it is going to be a keeper.

I decided to do this thread not only to doccument the process, but also get input from others that have been there, done that, and got the t-shirt. I may come across a little too cocky or a know it all at times, when actually I am quite humble. I am always open to discussion, and learning. I am actually a computer and electronics guy by trade, however my mechanical skills are fairly good, having grown up in a machine shop. I am not afraid to tackle anything, feeling I can do it if I really want to. That attitude however, can get one in trouble from time to time.

I also thought doing the thread may keep me on track to the task at hand, and keep me motivated and completing the project in a reasonable amount of time. The new battery is due in today, and I will actually get to make a few test drives in the next few days to actually see where the car stands. Then most of the parts should be here, and the fun begins. We are supposed to actually see some 60 degree weather before the end of the week.

Being a long time G car guy, the stevens certainly will present some challenges, and I hope that is indeed a good thing with new things to learn.

Thanks to everyone for participating in the thread, your knowledge and thoughts and support are certainly most appreciated!!! How else can an old guy have more fun?

Brian
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

First real test drive, after dark, from when the car arrived. The license plate did not show until mid last week, and the cool weather killed the battery.

New optima red top arrived today. Wire brushed the u channel hold down clamp, it had some rust, sanded it some, and painted it with rustolem gold paint. Then cut a 7" piece out of an oldstype cam belt, and used that between the battery and the hold down clamp. One of the 6mm hold down nuts was missing, and I could not find one anywhere in the shop, so stole a matching pair out of my glass bead cabinet.

Driving it home 1/3 of a mile when it arrived a few weeks ago, the boost gauge was jumping all over the place. It acted like the wastegate was stuck. I pulled the linkage off of the wastegate to the dashpot, and the wastegate was quite free, but the linkage to the wastegate arm was pretty rusted at the joint/pivot, and believe it was stuck. I cleaned up the diameter of the pin on the wastegate arm, applied a little mobil 1 synthetic grease, put it back together, and the boost gauge worked perfectly this evening. If it was not stuck, it was quite close. Expect that was from rain, and no engine cover.

Did not get out of the garage until about 7:30 this evening, was totally dark, and good for a stealth test run.

Various sheet to sort, however, did go there (to a couple of buddies houses), and came back. That is a start. Clutch vague as hell. Have a feeling no thermostat in it or it is stuck open, running too cold, oil temp cold. Max temp seen was arounf 70 c when setting, 60 c moving (water temp). Fans did not kick in. Speedo f'd, usually between 30 and 40mph, even at highway speeds, and jumping around. Odometer and trip work correctly. Put load on motor and fuel gauge drops from 1/4 to 1/8 or less, speedo jumps up 10-15mph, and falls back. Pulls left on initial braking, but with a firm pressure, it has a lot of braking. Since running too cool, not much heat. Driving in the dark was not a good time to figure out the heater controls, but did. Front of removable roof poping like popcorn when moving, hopefully adjust, or will need all new seals.

Air leak on drivers side window when all the way up. Shifting very heavy, but not loose. Might need translator bearings, and maybe rod ends, as well as fresh redline should help. Syncro’s seem quite good. Motor wants to go, but will not flog it on the old cam belt, or fluids. Steering a little heavy considering it is power steering, but probably too darty if it was lighter. Has good feel. Loose tennis shoes is not the hot setup, biggest problem was quickly finding the brake. A lot of this is from not knowing the car, plus not having driven a standard much in probably 15 years. Biggest gripe is the clutch, just not feeling it at all, and seemed like the engamement point was moving around. Just had a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and remote brake servo last month, perhaps there is still some air in the system. Plus will have to check the play in the servo rod, if it is similar to the G cars. Would 99% expect it has a plastic clutch hose, that may get updated after I finish the current list of jobs to do, anything to help on the vague clutch would make it easier to drive.

Still could be the loose nut setting behind the steering wheel. First time to test a new, strange car at night, that probably made things even seem even more strange.

Over the bumps the shocks seemed like they were doing their job, a little rough on the bumpy stuff, the rebound seemed controlled.

Came back with all the parts on it, I think, and that is a good thing.

About what I expected for a not correctly maintained car, best news is most of this was expected, and nothing seems that serious on the surface. (holding breath - turning blue)

Wife went along, I was actually surprised on that count. She did not like the jerky shifting with me trying to figure out the clutch. Only stalled it once.

First priority is a working speedo, that could be quite useful. Think I saw a thread regarding that here the other day, will look it up, and see where to start.

A running lotus, what a concept!

Brian

Last edited by bharper; 01-08-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #32 (permalink)
BANNED

I wonder why the fans didn't kick in if it was just sitting idling. Even without a thermostat, the engine should overheat if the fans don't kick in if it's just sitting idling.

And with the other gauges acting up, I wouldn't trust that any of them are right, including the water and oil temp.

But from what I have heard, as long as the brakes are working on an S4, everything else is easy, so congrats!
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:52 AM   #33 (permalink)

It was still pretty cool up here, probably low 30's on the test drive, so fans would not kick in. But plenty of driving should have taken it up over 70C, that is only like 158 degrees, plus came up very slow.

new thermostat should sort that one.

fuel might be pickup moving with the fuel low on light acceleration, need to put more in, and see how reacts.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #34 (permalink)
BANNED

I am not talking about while the car is moving. You let it sit idling and it still didn't get over 70 without any airflow over the radiator? If so, that's strange.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #35 (permalink)

If the ambient was in the 30's it would take a long time for it get that warm, even sitting.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #36 (permalink)

Just a quick update....

Yes, it was cold enough the fans not coming on is not of concern, the thermostat is.

Started replacing headlights last night, one was out, so for now put back a set of sylvania halogens.

Hope to get the pivots adjusted on the headlight pods today, and see if can pull the speedometer for service.

Then look at the turn signals and running lights up front.

Last edited by bharper; 01-14-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hello Brian, I have a 95 and a 94 S4 as well as two SE cars. Both S4 have been rebuilt.
I would advise you not to pull the motor unless you need to do the clutch(doubtfull at your mileage) or pull the tanks. The tanks will usuall rust from underneath and at the lower seam. A 95 may or may not have some life in the tanks.
Everything else you want to do is not worth pulling the motor for.
You need to do your timing belt now and quit driving the car untill you do. It isn't worth it to break it.
Your speedo likely has a broken gear. Easy to tell by pulling the binnacle and detaching the cable. Then while driving see if the inside of the cable is spinning, if it is you have a bad speedo. I just had one repaired.
The blow off valve is fun but has almost no value on the performance side. A straight pipe, better charge cooling and freeing up the intake all help with a modest chip upgrade like the S4S or the " high torque"

Randy
89.5 Esprit SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #38 (permalink)

Hey Randy,

Good info!

Got the headlights finished today, with also leveling the right pod with the body and tightened up the outer pivot bolt. Words not strong enough available to describe trying to find something to retain the bolt head on the outer pivot bolt, you have to be kidding.... Welcome to lotus position 349. Looks a lot better with the fresh paint detailing on the black headlight cover trim and screw heads, and fresh bulbs. Now they need adjusted. Checked every other bulb, turn signals, brake lights, and everything is working. All at the same time, that is unusual for a lotus!

After pulling the roof, greasing the two front hold down clamps with some mobil 1 synthetic grease and tightening down their bolts, put the top back on centered better and no more cracking and popping sounding like a popcorn machine when moving. As a matter of fact, on a short test, the car now is totally quiet other than the exhaust note, no other thunks or rattles!

Another couple of checks, and off for state inpection, then the big service begins.

Brian
Old 01-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #39 (permalink)

Ok sports fans, is the speedometer needle itself still magnetically driven on a 95 S4?

Needle jumping all around, and not close to correct. Plan on pulling it tomorrow, since the headlight service dominated today. Seems to match the classic loose magnet syndrome.

Brian
Old 01-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #40 (permalink)

Yes. They all do that, sir.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit