Leather Slathering - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Project Addicted

Leather Slathering

Leathertique says to use 4oz per seat!! That's a LOT of oil but I slathered it all over and rubbed/massaged it in bigly. She's now sitting out in the sun, baking the oil into the dry-ish leather. We shall see how this works out.

Jonboy

1984 Esprit Turbo "Vivian"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
You can use less than 4 oz. if you regularly sweat a lot. :-) They just like to encourage repeat sales.

But seriously,

The longer you let the product sit, the more supple your seats will be. I treat my leather once a year in the winter when I'm not driving much.

I leave the lotion on for a week or sometimes more.

Leatherique makes Good Stuff.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Garage
Leatherique is the stuff to use.

I've even brushed it on, but usually just use a small piece of microfiber. I try to get as much on as I can but hardly four ounces. Not sure if that's even possible in one go. Maybe give it a few days and repeat. Hey if it soaks it up it's a good thing.

Out in the sun? I'd not do that. Sure never have.

I'd not use anything else. It feels good, restores well, and smells like leather, not a strip club.

https://www.amazon.com/Leatherique-R.../dp/B0002SPCBW

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B004CMMFK0

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (Doc Jay has her)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 Nissan 370Z Nismo

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 10:46 AM

I use a combination of Leatherique and Zymol. Leatherique once a year and Zymol to clean and moisturize regularly.

Leatherique works wonders when redying. The dye on leather is more like a paint. When redying, you normally remove as much of the old dye as you can by wet sanding(!). Stop before you start making suede. Once the old dye is gone, the leather soaks up the rejuvenation oil like crazy. When I redo interiors, I keep applying the conditioner until the leather looks a bit damp after sitting overnight. I then apply the new dye within a day or two. The leather feels pretty much like new after that.

Letting the car sit in the sun helps to get the rejuvenation oil past the dye by raising the temperature inside the car. It does help, but it's not as good as the redye process.

Mike

'83 Esprit Turbo (The Fabulous Trashwagon)
'87 Esprit Turbo (FrankEnSPRIT)
'90 St Tropez Turbo
'04 Boxster S
'05 CO Elise, LSS, Touring, Hardtop, among others
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM

Garage
FWIW... I've heard nothing but good things about Leatherique, but I had a bad experience with it. I used the conditioner oil in my old Esprit. I slathered it all over everything leather and let it sit out in the sun. The next day parts of the leather on my doors by the window had unglued and looked like leather bubbles. I also wasn't impressed with the job it did on the seats. I've had better luck with Leather Honey but I still haven't found anything I'm totally happy with.

Pete
94 S4
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM

It may be you had a bad experience because someone used another product previously and the Leatherique had a bad reaction. 4 oz is a lot but maybe do 2 oz at a time 2 X. On a Wheeler/Dealer Mike got some stuff (the show did not say what it was exactly) slathered it on the seats that he had removed earlier, covered them each in a plastic bag and left them both in the sun. Said it worked. BTW Leatherique is also good for the skin on your hands! When I treat old leather for the first time it really does soak up the stuff so maybe 4 oz isn't a lot. Before applying the Rejuvinator they recommend you get the leather clean first. Dirt is the enemy of your leather. When you sit on the seat and it is dirty it is like you are sanding the leather. Especially of you are wearing jeans.
David Teitelbaum
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
When you sit on the seat and it is dirty it is like you are sanding the leather. Especially of you are wearing jeans.
David Teitelbaum
So, this conversation has come full circle.

Remove your jeans before sitting in the seats! And if you sweat, you will be moisturizing the leather...

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcslocum View Post
Leathertique says to use 4oz per seat!! That's a LOT of oil but I slathered it all over and rubbed/massaged it in bigly. She's now sitting out in the sun, baking the oil into the dry-ish leather. We shall see how this works out.
Yeah, four ounces is a lot. I just Leatherique-d the snot out of mine and was generally pleased with the results. It didn't change my life as some of the reviews insinuated it may do, but my overall impression is positive. It would have been interesting to see what good old fashioned soap and water would have done first as far as cleaning the dirt, but I have every idea the leather was conditioned well and in a way water and soap obviously wouldn't accomplish. One treatment didn't get out all of the dirt in the seat cracks as I'd hoped, but I didn't 'sun' mine, but did let it sit for about 3 days. Make sure you use a warm, wet rag to rub with after you've sprayed the cleaner on the leather and you'll likely need to change the bucket water four times if you use a 5 gal bucket like I did b/c it gets dirty pretty quickly. You may have to reapply the conditioner and repeat the process, but what I love about this type of thing is that you can't screw it up! Let's see how it turns out...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
So, this conversation has come full circle.

Remove your jeans before sitting in the seats! And if you sweat, you will be moisturizing the leather...
I'm gonna have a hard time getting to sleep tonight with that image lurking in the back of my mind.
carbuff likes this.

Pete
94 S4
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:45 PM

Reminds me of a bit Rodney Dangerfield had. He went to the doctor and the doctor asked him for a stool sample, a urine sample and a blood sample. So, Rodney gave him his shorts!
David Teitelbaum
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Project Addicted

Dave!! That is a great but disgusting joke...

So, she sat in the sun for 6 hours and it was nice and warm and sunny here in MD yesterday. The old towel I used to wipe it down was pretty dirty and the stuff was quite sticky and gooey. It loosened a glue spot on the dash where it looks like a huge piece of velcro was stuck down to hold a radar detector. This stuff was as hard as a rock and I thought it would be destructive to get it off. The oils I applied to is revived it to be like rubber cement. I was able to roll it off with my finger. I can't say the leather is a whole lot softer but it is not worse. I will apply more and see how if it continues to improve.

I did sit on a towel to go for a drive. She runs nicely and I have yet to get more than 150 miles on her.

Jonboy

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Yes, the joke is funny but if you think about it too much it is disturbing. Kind of like sweet and sour at the same time! Multiple treatments of Rejuvinator may be required especially if the leather has been neglected for a long time. I have used it on leather that felt more like old cardboard than leather and it made it feel more like leather that won't crack if bent. You can't hurt anything by using too much but not using enough won't work.
David Teitelbaum
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
Yes, the joke is funny but if you think about it too much it is disturbing. Kind of like sweet and sour at the same time! Multiple treatments of Rejuvinator may be required especially if the leather has been neglected for a long time. I have used it on leather that felt more like old cardboard than leather and it made it feel more like leather that won't crack if bent. You can't hurt anything by using too much but not using enough won't work.
David Teitelbaum
Dave, what do you find works best as a cleaner before slathering on the rejuvinator? Nothing I have found so far gets the dirt out of the deep creases. I get the feeling I'm rejuvenating the dirt
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:58 PM

You start with a vacuum and then progress to soap and water. Leatherique makes a cleaner they call Pristine Clean if you need further cleaning. They also have Prep if you are going to sand and redye. Your best place to go for this kind of info is their website, they published a wealth of information about leather, leather products, and how to use them. They should have all of our colors on file but if they don't they can match up to a sample you can send them if you need any dye. I had some bare areas on the leather and the piping that I touched up and you can't tell, even on close inspection. Getting in and out of the car wore some of the dye off the edges of the seat. Wrinkles and creases can be removed and even rips and tears can be fixed with their products. Once you get past putting sandpaper on the leather it is amazing what you can do. Go to Leatherique.com
David Teitelbaum
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:32 PM

There are basically 3 types of leather used in autos:
Pigmented, a Leather Base with a Heavy coating of a Colored Vinyl like surface; used in most production cars,
Semi-Aniline, a Colored Leather base, with a Thin clear or Tinted Vinyl like coating; used in higher end autos,
Aniline, an Un-Coated Color Dyed Leather, Rarely used in autos, due to it's susceptibility to moisture and staining.
Understanding the different types of leather.

I believe that the Evora uses a Semi-Aniline Leather, or Pigmented Leather which is why the Owner's Manual states:
"Leather Trim: The leather should be wiped over occasionally with a cloth dampened in warm soapy water. Use a mild, non‑caustic toilet soap or soap flakes. Repeat the operation using a fresh cloth and water only, but avoid soaking the leather. Finish by drying and polishing with a soft dry cloth. The manufacturers of the leather do not recommend the use of any hide 'food', and prohibit the use of petrol or detergents, furniture creams and polishes."

It should not be necessary to use any of the oily / greasy conditioners, that are recommended to preserve un-coated Aniline leather, BUT Protectants and Conditioners can be used to penetrate the coating and keep the underlying leather base soft.
I'm not sure about the Elige cars, but am reasonably certain that they are NOT the old style Aniline Leather.
carbuff likes this.

Last edited by Bobsy Racer; 04-19-2017 at 07:39 PM.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:57 PM
Scott M

Bobsy Racer might have just covered it, but any thoughts on how we ought to treat or condition the leather trim: dash, door panels, center console?
I have less consistent color on those than my seats which might pass for new (thankfully).

More disclosure...I did not yet check out the Leatherique site, but will soon.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
but any thoughts on how we ought to treat or condition the leather trim: dash, door panels, center console?.
Leathertique is the answer to this question as well.

Jonboy

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 04:18 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
any thoughts on how we ought to treat or condition the leather trim: dash, door panels, center console?

Actually, that's a VERY good question.

I know on my '88 (and Jon's '84) all the leather is Aniline. I coat/slather ALL my leather during my yearly regimen.

But, I also know that since the mid-'90s, Lotus used a coated leather on the seats...Semi-Aniline. But, I never have been able to tell what was used on those other surfaces.

The dash and binnacle are important to treat, as they are exposed to direct sun, causing expansion, contraction, and potential cracking. And, that one piece at the top of the dashboard wraps UNDER the windshield glass, so replacing it requires windshield glass removal. Take care of it!

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Project Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
The dash and binnacle are important to treat, as they are exposed to direct sun, causing expansion, contraction, and potential cracking. And, that one piece at the top of the dashboard wraps UNDER the windshield glass, so replacing it requires windshield glass removal. Take care of it!
This is your future if you don't care for the dash....

Jonboy

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:54 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
To paraphrase that oft-repeated comment:

"That'll Slather right out"

Heh

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.