The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Looking for a radiator re-core

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  jtrealty 
#1 ·
Hello,
I need to have my radiator recored on my 1983 esprit turbo, if you know where to have it completed in the USA. please forward any company info, I really don't want to spend $695 on an alluminum model, also does any one know of the metal carrier replacement besides SJSPORTSCARS - thanks to all - Tom

#3 ·
Re-core

I had mine re-cored a couple of years ago by a local shop. Went and got prices at three different places in the Tampa area. The best deal I got was $500 and all the quotes ranged between $500-$600.

What I was told by the radiator guys is the issue with the Esprit radiator is it's width. Most places that make custom cores can't make them as wide as required by the Esprit. The guy in Tampa I used had to get the core out of a place (if I recall) in Texas. The shop I went to did a lot of industrial cores, especially for the ship refitting businesses here in Tampa, so he sent it in as part of a larger order of special size cores and I didn't have to pay anything for shipping. The radiator looked great and it has been more than three trouble-free years - car cools excellently (even in Florida summer). I considered a new radiator (aluminum) but most radiator guys said a re-core is a better deal - a little cheaper but more importantly fit is assured. Also the radiator is brass, which most people prefer to aluminum for strength, longevity, and repair ability.

#6 ·
I had mine re-cored a couple of years ago by a local shop. Went and got prices at three different places in the Tampa area. The best deal I got was $500 and all the quotes ranged between $500-$600.
[snip]
For my 88 the quotes were also like $500-$800 (2011) for 'coring' (running the wire through it and chemical cleaning). I ended up going with a pricey $$$ aluminum replacement with fans/shroud, etc. In my eyes, that $695 aluminum model sounds like a deal, but as pointed out, a brass radiator has better repairability.

#4 · (Edited)
I've read that a 87-90 Jeep Cherokee (4.0L v8) is the same or a little wider than the Esprit radiator. Prices range between $150-$300 depending on how many layers and material you want. I've not confirmed this as a x-ref for an Esprit radiator replacement.

Note: Cherokee radiators after 90 have the filler neck, which we don't want. Also I'm seeing $200, 3 core all aluminum units on eBay. After some dimension checking I'll probably order one and report back on fitment.

#8 ·
esprit 07 - I had my '84 Esprit radiator recored last summer. Dropped it off on Friday, picked it up the following Tuesday. cost - $375.

At the time, I had considered an aluminum replacement but was told by the radiator shop that the two drawbacks of the aluminum radiator are, if there ever is a problem they can't be repaired, and often times there are problems with the welds because of the heat needed to weld the aluminum.

Hope that helps.

#9 ·
Besides the difficulty with repairing an aluminum radiator, they are easier to damage, they are slightly lighter and have a better heat transfer till they get a little oxidation. Brass and copper is the way to go, it is also cheaper. The problem is there are fewer and fewer local shops that do this stuff anymore. All of the newer cars have aluminum radiators and since they can't be repaired the repair shops are disappearing. Heavy trucks still have copper and brass radiators and maybe you can find a shop that does them and they might do your radiator.
David Teitelbaum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.