The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Methanol Injection

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MRDANGERUS 
#1 ·
I have read all the threads I could find on methanol injection, but I couldn't get a clear cut opinion on what kind of result people who have tried it have gotten. I guess the questions I would like answered are how difficult of a job is it to install one, who makes the best kit, and what kind of performance gains are realistic? I have an 89 non SE. Also, can it do any harm to the engine ( making assumption it is installed properly) ? Thanks guys for any forthcoming answers.

#2 ·
Hi

I have a 1982 Turbo Esprit. I rebuild the engine with forged pistons, bumbed the compression ratio to 8:1.
After this I fitted a snow performance water/ met injection kit. I fitted the injector, the smallest in the kit, just after the turbo.
Cut the waste gate spacer ring in half to increase boost pressure.
On the dyno the engine made just shy of 240 hp, with no sigs of knocking.
Bear in mind that this is carburated.

Lars

#5 ·
#6 ·
Installed a Snow system a couple months ago.
The addition of water/methanol at a 50/50 mixture creates an octane boost from premium gas to between 109 and 116. Also this addition also not only cools the charge but effectively steam cleans the valves, plugs and crowns.
Power increases come about by being able to advance timing, increasing boost as well as fuel adjustments. Virtually eliminates detonation, downside is with these adjustments you better not run out of "juice". Most systems have either warning lights or controllers that safeguard the system.
In my case the controller starts the spray by MAP, coming in at 5lbs of Boost progressing to full at 10lbs, these parameters are adjustable.
A very noticeable kick in the pants!

Attachments

#7 ·
I have added Methanol injection on my V8. Since the V8 is also non charge cooled, it benefits the IAT temps. Since the hot turbo boost like your non SE car, reaches high IAT levels quickly, the methanol injection will assist with keeping the charge cooler as well as add detonation protection with additional fueling. I've added the Snow Performance system to my car, 2 of their smallest nozzles and the methanol comes online at 13psi. It is a noticeable improvement over the stock system, as before after 2 or 3, third gear pulls on the highway, I could feel the car pull Timing since the IAT's were getting high. I have not dyno'd the car since adding the Methanol injection, but I will soon!

#10 ·
I have an 88 Bosch CIS.
Most of your time on the install will be spent on packaging, in other words finding places to install the tank, pump and controller. Wiring is very basic, a ground, ignition switched positive and two wires to the interior for either a gauge or led indicator lights (depending on the kit you buy). In my case one green led for pump operation and one red led for fluid level actuated by a tank float.
I relocated the battery from the rear trunk/boot to the front trunk/boot so this left me with room for the tank and pump as in the post picture.
The controller was then mounted on the engine side of the ignition box/ trunk floor as there are adjustable pots on my controller that I wanted to have access to.
You will also need to drill and tap into your plenum backing plate or plenum diffuser. Other locations are available such as pre turbo compressor (not suggested), pre intercooler or charge cooler (not ideal), or pre throttle bodies/carbs into the plenum (ideally 6 inches before the butterflies).

#11 ·
I mounted the 3 quart tank in the boot, next to the drivers side tail lamp. I ran all of the hoses and wiring through the factory grommets to the engine bay for connection. The benefit you'll have is one nozzle required, not two. Just install it after the turbo compressor outlet so the atomized mixtures has a chance to mix homogeneously with the inlet air. . Here are a few images in a V8. I use the digital gauge controller for my system. You can choose a simple pressure switch.

Attachments

#13 ·
One thing to keep in mind with your non charge cooled SE is the plenum diffuser is restrictive with an ID of 1 1/2". Mounting the injector anywhere in that diameter will cause the atomization to hit the walls of the diffuser and drop out of suspension. The best place to tap for the nozzle would be in the plenum backing plate similar to the secondary injectors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.