Plenum Removal for injector Upgrade - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Plenum Removal for injector Upgrade

I have a 2000 V8 and tried various things to stop my hot start issue. I tried cam and crank sensor replacements and even put in an additional ground wire directly to the block wiith some improvement after the ground was added. After driving the car for about four months after the changes I finally concluded that I had leaking plinth injectors. So, I decided to replace with the JAE supplied RC Engineering injectors.

Removing the plenum was not as easy as I thought because the IAC plug was hard to pull without use of a needle nose plier and the EGR valve connector plug was wrapped around the starter solenoid making the plenum difficult to lift high enough to remove the connectors. The sequence was:

1. IAC connector
2. EGR temp. sensor
3. EGR valve connector

I used an old tennis ball to keep the plenum suspended to pull the EGR temp. sensor plug on the drivers side. I had to reach in from the front to disconnect the EGR valve connector since the wires were wrapped around the solenoid.

Upon removing the plenum I discovered that one terminal in each coil pack was rusted out to the point the plug connector broke off when pulled out. So I replaced the plug wires and coil packs making sure to use dielectric grease on all connections and coil pack mounts.

I've included pictures of most of the plenum removal steps for reference. Hopefully, someone will find them useful.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Want to add more pics but says Im maxed at 5 images?

How do you add more images?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:56 AM

Thanks for posting the info! Keep us updated on if the injector replacement solves it or not.
ArtB likes this.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2000 View Post
How do you add more images?
How about just posting your material in a multi-part series that picks up where the last one left off?

Knut
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Multi Post Solution

Knut,

I see some threads have more than five images in a row like the Japan Esprit Club pics. So I was hoping for an easier solution. Haven't tried doing an entire folder.

Mike
Attached Images

post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Solution?

Got these in by posting a reply to someone else other than myself.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I did several starts and no problem. Cranked right up!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:12 AM

Dude! You sent me to this link... Great stuff! I am doing it step by step, where is the rest? Email me the whole folder of images if you are having trouble putting them up! PhysicalEvolution@yahoo.com
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Roberto Giannini

WOW!!! This is excellent work and write up, good job
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 05:11 PM

thanks for all the pics with the write up. great job. my only negative is rc injectors haven't had necessarily great experiences with them. what size are the stock injectors and what size are these?
I know i by no means have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to esprits....however i have some thoughts on the issue at hand. Is it possible these cars are experiencing vapor lock - boiling of fuel inside the rail? Do the fuel pumps have a set time to prime - possibly not long enough? do the fuel pumps have built in check valves? do all the v8's have the vents on top of the engine covers? The mercedes v12's have an issue vapor locking, there's a reflash to keep the fuel pumps priming more then a 2 seconds and at high pressure than normal to aid. Yes i know esprit's are way less complicated but same basic principle. minus the pulse width modulated fuel pumps, fuel pressure sensors, returnless system and way more to add to german over complication.

Last edited by roadtalontsi; 04-05-2014 at 05:16 PM.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
PM jtrealty...he had hot-start issues until he replaced the injectors. He will tell you what hew used and the part numbers...

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

After replacing all above mentioned items, I believe my hot start issue came from my bad coil pack terminals and plug wire connectors. After pulling my old injectors I had them tested but no leaking or performance issues. I changed them out anyway. I think forum members have different issues causing their slow starts so my recommendation is to start with the lowest cost issue first.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
After replacing all above mentioned items, I believe my hot start issue came from my bad coil pack terminals and plug wire connectors. After pulling my old injectors I had them tested but no leaking or performance issues. I changed them out anyway. I think forum members have different issues causing their slow starts so my recommendation is to start with the lowest cost issue first.
There is no way for a fuel injection system to experience vapor lock if the fuel pumps are working. There is more than enough pressure to prevent the fuel from vaporizing. That said, there can be several failure modes that mimic the symptoms of vapor lock. I had leaky primary injectors. When I shut the car off after a drive I had a hard time getting it to restart. The leaky injectors filled the motor with fuel and the starter had a hard time getting the cranking speed high enough to start the motor until it had cooled enough for the vapors to condense or I jumped the battery. I went through many simple and cheap fixes like secondary injector "O" rings till I found out the OEM primary injectors don't last well. Once I replaced them the problem went away. If you have over 30,000 miles you should probably replace the primary injectors. The originals were of the "disc" design and the newer ones are of the better "pintle" design. I can get you the place and the part # if you need.
David Teitelbaum
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
After replacing all above mentioned items, I believe my hot start issue came from my bad coil pack terminals and plug wire connectors.
That's interesting. We are just finishing up an engine reassembly on a V8 that will soon be for sale. It did not have any starting issues, but the coil pack and plug wire terminals were corroded. Maybe moisture gets trapped in there. Probably a good idea to take them apart and clean maybe every 5 years.

Don
Esprit S4s #155 of 158
Lotus cars and parts for sale www.donferrario.com/lotus
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSalesman View Post
It did not have any starting issues, but the coil pack and plug wire terminals were corroded. Maybe moisture gets trapped in there. Probably a good idea to take them apart and clean maybe every 5 years.
Agreed, as one of the original problems with the V8s was water entering under the small coil covers on the plenum. Later cars had gaskets IIRC.

The water can enter just from washing the car...
ArtB likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

My plug wires had the molded rubber caps but somehow moisture got into the recesses of the coil terminals. When I replaced the wires and coil packs I used dielectric grease on the leads.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

JTrealty - yea please shoot over the part# and info. on the injectors you replaced the stock ones with... did you keep the same size or upgrade slightly?
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Here are a few more pics of the removal process.
Attached Images

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:07 PM

3 years later LOL

Esprit S4
BMW 850I
BMW 850CSI
BMW M5 Sold
MB CLS
Corvette ZR1
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8nightman View Post
3 years later LOL
Some projects take longer than others. LOL
ArtB likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.