The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Replacement Seats for Esprit?

11K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  redfox 
#1 ·
I've got a 2001 Esprit V8TT and don't think much of the original factory seats. Has anyone found a drop-in-place (or drop-in-place with minimal tweaking) replacement seat that is more substantial, provides more support, and wraps around you a little better? Either from another car, or aftermarket Recaro-ish (the only brand I'm familiar with)?

#7 ·
Mike is clearly first in line, but if he changes his mind please contact me. I have been looking for tan S4/v8 seats for a year.

Aaron

#8 ·
VAYDOR seats

FYI:

Here are unique seats for VAYDOR cars.

I believe, they are made by:

Waterside Upholstery
700 Seagull Beach Rd
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
(443) 624 0678

Attachments

#10 ·
I put Honda S2000 seats in my 87 G. They fit snug width wise. With adjusting seat tracks, they sit too high in my opinion. I drilled off the rails, flattened the seat pan(there is a large hump in the middle protruding down), and 4 angle brackets per seat later...modern, very comfortable and supportive seats. There are several companies that have custom leather seat covers that look and fit awesome and are relatively inexpensive and pretty easy to install too. Just another option and opinion.
Rob

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 · (Edited)
On my 1990 SE I took out the original seats. They support okay'ish and looks okay installed. But what a strange thing to look at, when taken out ;)
Then I tried a set of V8 Esprit seats, but the were less supportive than my original SE seats, so didn't want to go that route.
I then found a set of genuine Sport300 Esprit seats, which I believe, were made for Lotus' order by Recaro. I had them reclad in Magnolia leather, as they had a different shade.
The sport300 seats support your body superbly, I cannot underline how good they are to drive in. They simply support you the best way possible, while in the same time giving you a clear feeling of being totally connected to the Esprit and the road. They also Work very well if you're wearing a racing suit. No alcantara is needed, as you sit tight, without moving around.
They are not comfortable ;) But not that bad really. My skinny stature can drive in them all day without fatique. Even my wife likes them, despite the seats being very low. So they also give a Little bit more headroom. I installed them onto the original Sport300 bracketry, which I have modified very slightly to suit the floorpan on my SE, which have a different positioning of the mounting holes. So no driling were needed.
I can very highly recommend them, and they are original Lotus.
So, not being able to buy them from Lotus any more, and made of unobtanium on the second hand market, SJ in the UK make a copy and either they (SJ) or you yourself upholster them.
They are not expensive.
Only gripe may be, that SJ's copy of the Sport300 brackets are not exact. But since I have the originals, I cannot testify to that. So it's just a claim.
The Sport300 have the Facility for racing seatbelts, while the Esprit GT3 seats sans the extra, 4 per seat, seat belt holes. The Sport300 seats can be adjusted for reclining for optimum thigh support, by moving a few bolts. Very easy, since it's just 4 bolts at the bottom, and the seat is out of the car. Takes 3 minutes. Here's a few pics of my Sport300 seats, which I absolutely adore driving in ;) The same seat is used in other sportscars btw. I stuck to the original black surface, while some have painted the seatback in the cars colour. Mostly seen on GT3 Esprits. The Sport300 copies from SJ are fairly inexpensive. And you'll save 10 kilos off the Esprit over the original V8 seats... ;)
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Attachments

#15 ·
There have been a number of guys who replaced their Esprit seats with Elise seats. Much thinner shell and very supportive.

#18 · (Edited)
Ruff Ryder 6, I'd say you import the Shells, and have them trimmed locally to you, so you can decide on which option, samples and colours, thread quality and colour of the thread etc, exactly. It would possibly not be a wise thing to have them retrimmed in the UK, as you cannot see and feel the specific leather that is going to be used. When I had mine done, I had to go to the upholsterer Company, and speak to the man WHO actually would do them. And then he demonstrated to me all of the qualities of leather, thickness, colourshades, and we discussed how they should be trimmed on the shoulders (I wanted original as they were), and he also explained to me the various types of dyeing the leather, breathability, wearing etc. I had to choose thread, colour of thread, stitching type, length and much more. Well worth the time to do so. Having that part of the Work done locally, you may even specify for example a tad thinner or thicker foam to support, under the leather. They just cut it as you please.
Shipping only brackets and two shells, would be a bit lighter too. As fas as I know, SJ still sell them. You may call for example PNM or some of the other retailers of parts, and ask if they have a second hand original set (Sport300 or GT3).
If you just buy empty Shells, you easily have the option of having the seat backs painted to your liking. SJ even offer an extra layer of carbon on the seatbacks. Very nice ;)
That's what I would do in such situation.

As for the corbeau A4 seats, they are fairly different seats from the racing bucket seats that Lotus used in the Sport300 and later on the GT3 as an optional sports seat, in revised shape.
They are comfortable seats, which are reclining, right? And they don't offer good leg support on the sides (bolsters). I'd say the Recaro you have are better. The combination of seat material and bolsterwear pad material, sewn together, often do not last long, and will not suit your Esprit very well, unless retrimmed.
At least go try them out in a shop, before deciding. And if you go for them, make sure you actually have enough room inside your Esprit, in Width, length and vertically. Some seats are "fatter" so, that once installed on brackets, they take too much of the headspace.
If what you search is more support, firmly grapping your torso and legs, you should try to find an Esprit owner locally to you, WHO have the Sport300 seats (or copies) or the GT3 seats.
I've sat in the Elise seats, and they are okay, but not at all like the Sport300 and the GT3 seats. I feel they lack leg support and hip support. Instead they are made for the Elise, and that incorperates parts of the interrior as a kind of support. Just my two-pence of course. Others may have a different view on this.

These seats: https://www.z1motorsports.com/interior/omp-trs-race-seat-p-9960.html
offer a LOT more support for hard driving, looks etc, than the A4, but I think they may be a tad too big for installation in the Esprit. And looks a bit too racy. And they Wear rather fast (the material used). I know, because I used a somewhat similar set from Recaro in a race car. Your late model 2001 Esprit offer a bit more headroom and Width on the floorpan, but still, one should be very carefull in the dimensions. Mostseats are too high and too wide for the Esprit.
All in all, I'd go for the Sport300 copy option and have them supertrimmed by a local upholsterer. Will suit your Esprit MUCH better and they fit. You can have them emboss a logo or something on the headrest as well. Or have the special sewing patern from the final edtion made as well, or something else.
Here's a Picture of a pair of Elise seats. Speaks for itself. As it may be seen on the Picture, the under leg support, simply the length of the seatbase, is very short, not offering very much support, which in turn can make the driver tired too early. But they had to be that short, and low on the bolsters, for occupants to be able to get in and out of the Elise, so a natural explanation.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

Attachments

#19 ·
Mr. Fox - Your recommendations & suggestions are excellent. Thanks so much. The Sport 300 seats look to me to be as "snug as a bug in rug" BUT (?!).... maybe a little difficult to climb over/into as you enter and exit the vehicle. The Esprit is already a challenge to get into and out of. I looked at the seats via the link in your link. Is there any chance that I'm correct on this fear?

#20 · (Edited)
My seats or the optional Corbeau seats?
Either way, mine are easy to climb in and out of. Even my wife tried only once, then she had it just fine.
They are low positioned, so both good and bad. Good, because it makes a bit more room to get in and out. Bad, because they are low, so that first time you enter, you will have a surprise. But a good one ;)

Procedure is:
- Open door fully or as much as there is room for.
- Enter right leg into footwell.
- Place left hand on the sill.
- Swoop your behind over the side support on the seat.
- enter your head and get down.
- bend left leg, lift over sill, and place in footwell.
- Take off time ;)

Getting out is:
- Open door fully, or as much as there is room for.
- Place right hand on the center tunnel edge.
- Bend and swing left leg over the sill.
- Place left hand on the sill.
- Lifting your behind and swooping over the edge of the seat, head first.

Actually very easy. Some of my friends who are older than me (say 73), do it very easily.

So, no need for fear. Actually, it can be done rather elegantly, and is fast too. No need for silly youtube videos of the same thing ;)

I can add that I have a severe backdamage, from years ago, and I have absolutely no problem or pain, what so eever.

And using for example the Corbeau with ample side support, but bad fabric and plastic protection patches, Wears exactly fast entering into and getting out of the car. They are meant for sparingly use in a racecar. Not so the Esprit seats, they don't wear.

Hope it's of any use.

Kind regards,
Redfox.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.