Sunroof question -- just curious - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 
LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
Sunroof question -- just curious

Does anyone know why the sun roof opening was made much smaller on the later Esprits?

On my SE, the opening was right where the sun visors ended. On my V8, the trim extends several inches back, which makes it feel much less open.

I did notice they wisely switched to real glass. The plexi top on the SE bubbled from the heat.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 11-21-2012 at 05:50 AM.
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BlackSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
My 88 and 97 look the same to me? Maybe they changed the v8 in 98
__________________
Current Rides:
2008 Corvette DP1000 942rwhp/938rwtq www.dallasperformance.com
2005 Jaguar XJR
1997 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
1988 Lotus Esprit
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
My 88 and 97 look the same to me? Maybe they changed the v8 in 98
Probably. New interior for 98.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 991
I don't believe the opening changed from the SE to the end. I had one of the earlier Saratoga plexiglas tops fitted to my S4s at one point and it fit perfectly. The glass top that came with the S4s fits every Esprit to the last one, same part #...
__________________
1995 S4s FOR SALE SOLD
https://sites.google.com/site/jkespr...omsitejkesprit
lotus4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4s View Post
I don't believe the opening changed from the SE to the end. I had one of the earlier Saratoga plexiglas tops fitted to my S4s at one point and it fit perfectly. The glass top that came with the S4s fits every Esprit to the last one, same part #...
Talking about the overall opening which is smaller, not just the hole in the fiberglass.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 991
Never noticed any difference in the size of the openings. Does your glass have an obscuration band around the edge?
__________________
1995 S4s FOR SALE SOLD
https://sites.google.com/site/jkespr...omsitejkesprit
lotus4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Type82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,178
Is Saratoga still in business? I did a Google search and couldn't find anything pertaining to Lotus Esprit only Porsche.

I did see one for sale once on eBay but it was for a Stevens Esprit if I recall. My car has the composite roof and I would love a glass one even if it's plexy-glass.
Type82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
04ESPRIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dublin, Ohio
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
Does anyone know why the sun roof opening was made much smaller on the later Esprits?

On my SE, the opening was right where the sun visors ended. On my V8, the trim extends several inches back, which makes it feel much less open.

I did notice they wisely switched to real glass. The plexi top on the SE bubbled from the heat.
The interior headliner trim is a different part # from the SE's to the V8's, but I don't know readily know why it's changed.
Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  35.1 KB
04ESPRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
sleekgt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,630
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusespritse View Post
Does anyone know why the sun roof opening was made much smaller on the later Esprits?

On my SE, the opening was right where the sun visors ended. On my V8, the trim extends several inches back, which makes it feel much less open.

I did notice they wisely switched to real glass. The plexi top on the SE bubbled from the heat.
I have a factory OEM glass sunroof (supposedly from a V8) that is on my 88.

My understanding is any plastic (Plexiglas(TM)) sunroof is aftermarket and would be different.

When you say 'opening', you seem to be referring to the actual CLEAR portion of the glass roof? My glass roof has about 3 inchs of black border on the front edge - is THAT what you are talking about?

The actual roof opening on the car is supposedly the same on all Stevens Esprits, but that's my theory as the sunroof part number is the same. I do know the later Stevens front bonnet is different than my 88 so maybe they did the roof too.

Here's a photo of my sunroof:

__________________
Eddie B
88 Esprit 'SLEEK GT'
sleekgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,594
My SE came with factory plexi top. Same with other friends with SE's.

I am taking about the interior trim panel that holds the visors. It extends into the opening to make it smaller by several inches.


Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BlackSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekgt View Post
I have a factory OEM glass sunroof (supposedly from a V8) that is on my 88.

My understanding is any plastic (Plexiglas(TM)) sunroof is aftermarket and would be different.

When you say 'opening', you seem to be referring to the actual CLEAR portion of the glass roof? My glass roof has about 3 inchs of black border on the front edge - is THAT what you are talking about?

The actual roof opening on the car is supposedly the same on all Stevens Esprits, but that's my theory as the sunroof part number is the same. I do know the later Stevens front bonnet is different than my 88 so maybe they did the roof too.

Here's a photo of my sunroof:


Only difference I see in my 88 and my 97 is that my 88's composite roof is slightly tapered in at the rear of it, and my v8 does not.. And my V8 has a headliner and my 88 does not. You are correct, the front bonnet on my 88 does not have the black "rounded" trim towards the windshield that the 97 does.. I believe they changed that to give the car a more rounded look when they went to the V8 design.
__________________
Current Rides:
2008 Corvette DP1000 942rwhp/938rwtq www.dallasperformance.com
2005 Jaguar XJR
1997 Lotus Esprit V8 TT
1988 Lotus Esprit
BlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.