Tires For A 2001 Esprit? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Tires For A 2001 Esprit?

I recently bought a 2001 Esprit and on the way home from Chicago had a sidewall blowout on the driver's side rear tire. Credit goes to the car and tire, because if I wouldn't have heard the "BAM!", I never would have known that the tire blew.

So here's the dilemma...I can't find the original Dunlops (SP Sport 9000) that were on it (at least when I got it), and other than some low end (at least IMO) Sumitomos, I can't find a matched set of tires (preferably three season and run flat) in the rim sizes needed (285/35 R18 and 235/40 R17). The guy at the local tire dealer suggested going with 235/45 R17s for the front, assuming that would work, but I'm leery of changing spec on something that's high performance and that already doesn't have a lot of space in the wheel well.

So here's my question to those more experienced than I am...which tires (and where to get them) do you suggest? I live in Central PA and would like to drive the car as much as possible (granted, snow is definitely out!).

Thanks!

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:15 PM

If you're worried about performance, do NOT look for run flats. They suck.
Honestly, if you want all weather performance, Continental Contactsport DWS might be your best bet. They have fantastic wet performance, great dry performance and can do snow (hence the acronym, Dry Wet Snow). Or get some summer rubber and some cheap wheels with winter tires. That's the best of both worlds, and snows will give you the control and let you have fun like an all season couldn't dream of doing.
Oh, and get an auto club membership with towing. Sure beats crappy run flat tires.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

I never had a AAA membership until about a month ago when I figured that it might be a good idea to get one because all the freebie towing and roadside assistance that I have with my daily driver wouldn't be there with the Lotus. When the tire blew at about mile marker 83 on the eastbound lanes of the PA Turnpike, I realized that it had already paid for itself. It was 10PM, cold, windy, the middle of nowhere, and on the Turnpike...I let the tow guy change the tire to the spare!

Thanks for the advice on the tires. I'm not a performance driver in that I'm not going to really push the car, but your comments are good. I'll look into the Continental tires and see what I can find.

Kurt
New to Lotus and ready to learn!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Scott M

I put Nitto-05s in stock sizes on a year ago (~3000 miles) and they've been quite good.

Only found them at Discount Tire...quite reasonably priced too. I'd buy them again if Michelin S4 isn't available in the right add sizes when the time change comes.
...2003 Esprit
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 PM
Indeterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
I put Nitto-05s in stock sizes on a year ago (~3000 miles) and they've been quite good.
a
Only found them at Discount Tire...quite reasonably priced too. I'd buy them again if Michelin S4 isn't available in the right add sizes when the time change comes.
...2003 Esprit
I put the Nitto nt-05 on mine last year too and was very pleased with them.

2000 Esprit (sold)
2001 Miata
2002 XJR
2006 Gallardo Spyder
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 AM

ditto on the Nittos

Only decent option for a matched pair. Just put them on so have very little experience to share but I wouldn't call them three season - pretty much warm and dry so maybe 1.5 season?

per the other comments, get auto club tow or add on to your collector insurance instead of RFT. Anyone who tried to drive a BMW with the RFT 'Stones on will tell you it ruins the car.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:01 AM
Got Parts?

We put some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (245/40R17 fronts and 295/35R18 rears) on a customers 01 Esprit recently. He had nothing but great things to say about those tires.

GATOR MOTORSPORT
'The Lotus Evora - A Rose of a Different Color'
Authorized Lotus, Rossion, Magnum, and Zenos dealership.
Specializing in Lotus service, parts, and performance upgrades.
"Unrivaled Excellence"
3353 West 96th Street. Indianapolis, IN 46268
(855)-428-6767
www.GatorMotorsport.com
Click here to take a virtual tour of our facilities!

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:14 AM

Garage
I too have a 2001 Esprit V8 and put new tires on last year. On the front I put Yokohama S Drive 235/40R17's and on the back the Yokohama Advan Sport 285/35R18's for an out of the door price of $770 including wheel balance, new valve stems, tax etc. Very pleased with the noise level, ride and performance.

David.

2015 Dodge Charger R/T Premium (Daily Driver)
2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)

Last edited by LotusGuy48; 03-17-2017 at 06:53 AM.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
I, too, know more than one V8 owners who bought Nittos.

Kurt, post a couple more times so I can send you a PM.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMS_Parts View Post
We put some Michelin Pilot Super Sports (245/40R17 fronts and 295/35R18 rears) on a customers 01 Esprit recently. He had nothing but great things to say about those tires.
It's ok to put 245/40 R17s on in place of 235/40 R17s and 295/35 R18s in place of 285/35 R18s? I'm a complete novice when it comes to mixing and matching tire sizes...my area of expertise is IT and firearms.
Seraph likes this.

Kurt
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusGuy48 View Post
I too have a 2001 Esprit V8 and put new tires on last year. On the front I put Yokohama S Drive 235/40R17's and on the back the Yokohama Advan Sport 285/35R18's for an out of the door price of $770 including wheel balance, new valve stems, tax etc. Very pleased with the noise level, ride and performance.
Excellent! I was looking at Dunlops, I think, and they were sitting at about $450+ per tire. I don't mind dropping close to $2k on rubber if it will do the trick, but I do want to make sure that I'm not hindering the car's performance.

So, just to be straight, matched front and rear tires are not necessary?

Thanks!

Kurt
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
I, too, know more than one V8 owners who bought Nittos.

Kurt, post a couple more times so I can send you a PM.
Will do! I think this is post 6!

Thanks!

Kurt
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:48 AM

Kurt, the Nitto 05's are a wonderful tire, and I have posted before recommending them. That said, I would not consider them ideal if you are really looking for three season performance. I find that although the car feels predictable and balanced, they have very low grip in the wet. Requires slowing down and exercising caution.

I did get caught in a relatively epic slush and snow storm with the Nitto's (on the way to a track day actually). The whole experience was, shall we say, 'memorable'. The Porsche guys in our track group had great fun passing me on the highway. Some of the Esprit guys in Vancouver BC for example (think like 200 rain days a year) echo this; Nitto's great in the dry, wet not so much.

I blasted thru 2 sets of Nitto's quite quickly, tracking the car occasionally. For the track they are wonderful, but wear relatively quickly. I can dig out the mileage figures if that is of interest. I would have bought a third set, but unfortunately there was a supply blip when I needed them.

If you do go for the Nitto's, you may want to purchase an extra pair of fronts; I found the fronts go off at about twice the pace of the rears. Would be interested to hear from others on that, but that was my experience.

I went with Falken Azeni's FK-453's this time around. Apologies if I got the model number wrong; just reading off the sidewall and it is awkward.

285/35ZR18 rear
235/40ZR17 front

Not sure of the present supply situation on them, but I purchased from my local tire guy with no issues.

Very few miles so far. Feel harder than the Nitto's, but may be more what you are after. One short aborted track Day so far (due to other issues with the car). Grip levels definely below the Nitto's, but they look like they are going to be more durable. Way nicer in the wet. Don't have the specifics to hand, but better wear rating than the Nitto's. Might be a nicer all round tire for you?

As you mentioned run flats and have already experienced a blowout, note you may have fitment problems with the supplied spare on the front due to brake clearance. 2000 and later V8's have different brakes, but they did not change the spare wheel. There was a thread mentioning this issue a while back. I purchased a recommended spacer on-line that gets around this issue, and have added it to my tire kit. Anyone that has this potential issue with their V8 and wants a spacer, hit me up before LOG37 and I will bring an extra one with me (they are sold in pairs so I have one that is surplus to my needs).

HTH

Stu in the Great White North
Attached Images

Stu
Calgary AB
'69 Elan Plus 2
'00 Esprit V8
'87 BMW M6 & '84 BMW R100RT

Last edited by stugilmour; 03-18-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Wrong tire model number. Corrected to FK-453.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 AM
Spreadthin

I got a set of Toyo Proxes last spring (for my '03) from the Tread Depot. Shipped price was about $680, I think.
I like 'em. Right after they were installed, I was able to do some track sessions at Lime Rock and they worked pretty well (stock sizes).
Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:26 AM

Quick follow-up. Here is a picture of the Nitto NT05.

You can see the tread pattern is optimized for dry performance compared to some of the other options.

Stu
Attached Images

Stu
Calgary AB
'69 Elan Plus 2
'00 Esprit V8
'87 BMW M6 & '84 BMW R100RT
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Glutton For Punishment

I did the NT-05's and really like them. I drive rain or shine, and feel confident in the rain, but certainly not all season tire confident like in my other cars. I hear that as they wear that rain confidence will go away, but really, on a sports car, I buy tires for the dry, and suffer through the rain.

Dry performance is great, they slide nice, and are predictable. I haven't tracked them yet, but plan on it. Other people who track them say they really like them.

1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo
2002 Lotus Esprit V8 25th Anniversary #008
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback on the Nittos and suggestion on the Falkens, Stu! I don't plan on taking the car on the track (at least not anytime soon...I don't have the skill or confidence to take the car that fast...), so something for daily driving when it might be wet is probably going to be my best option. I'll pull off the Sumitomos that I have on it now and put them into storage for an emergency.

Thanks!

Kurt
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadthin View Post
I got a set of Toyo Proxes last spring (for my '03) from the Tread Depot. Shipped price was about $680, I think.
I like 'em. Right after they were installed, I was able to do some track sessions at Lime Rock and they worked pretty well (stock sizes).
Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
How do they compare to what you had on the car before? Do you see any changes in mileage or ride comfort?

Thanks!

Kurt
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:02 PM

97 Esprit here - bought it about 6 months ago with 9 year old tires - too old for most any speed. I admit I'm a little biased over TireRack.com because I occasionally instruct for the BMWCC / SCCA / TireRack.com Street Survival car control clinics. I had them mounted this week and drove the car this morning aired to 34 pounds on all four corners rather than the recommended 29 pounds. Before the car handled nicely enough when I threw it into a corner and I must say I really didn't notice any difference today but then I didn't have the car anywhere near limits and I'm spoiled by how the F2000 Formula Continental corners [over 3Gs]. Probably I got a little extra body roll due to the increased tire pressure and it may be harder on the old bushings but I generally think of "recommended" tire pressures as conservative. I'll probably lower the rears by two pounds. I also instruct for SCCA Driver's Schools and will do so again this April at Daytona on the infield course [see it's design at CFRSCCA.org if you're curious]. So the Lotus is ready for me to take the newbie around for the 'station wagon' portion of the School....that will put the car a little closer to the edge.....why is this man smiling?

Up front I liked the tread design of the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 235/40R17 - the tread design reminded me of some intermediates I made up using a hand grooving tool on some Good Year slicks for the Formula car years ago.

In back I picked Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL 285/35ZR-18.

The compounds are a little different - if I'm remembering the rears are a slightly softer compound which should help the rear grip - didn't notice any push today - Daytona report in April.

Last edited by EYERACE; 03-18-2017 at 06:09 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYERACE View Post
Up front I liked the tread design of the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 235/40R17 - the tread design reminded me of some intermediates I made up using a hand grooving tool on some Good Year slicks for the Formula car years ago.

In back I picked Michelin Pilot Super Sport XL 285/35ZR-18.

The compounds are a little different - if I'm remembering the rears are a slightly softer compound which should help the rear grip - didn't notice any push today - Daytona report in April.
Hi Eyerace!

Thanks for the suggestions! My local tire dealer was focused in on the same brand/model for front and rear; is this as important as he makes out or should I just find what works and use those?

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.