Where do I get? And what quantity Redline MT90? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Where do I get? And what quantity Redline MT90?

I want to put Redline MT90 in my C35 gearbox when I get my car reassembled, all my parts are arriving extremely quick and want to be ready to refill my gearbox once the cars together. I heard some of you guys say 2 quarts, then I heard something about overfilling it with 3 is better. In all honestly, I dont see how over filling it would hurt it, however I am fixing all the leaks in my gearbox as well, and I dont want to overfill it so it leaks where it shouldn't, also do any chain stores sell MT90? I see it all over online, but never remember seeing it at Pepboys, Advance Auto parts, Napa, Carquest, AutoZone, Fisher, etc. Im usually not brand specific, but im doing so much to this gearbox now that I want to use what I heard is the proper lube and quantity for it.
amanda11270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I get mine at Summitracing.com

buy the gallon size of the MT90. buy a simple (cheap) transfer pump at your local auto parts store to suck the oil outof the gallon jug and into the gearbox. You can't really overfill it. you are going to fill it until the oil reaches the level of the fill plug....and more and it just flows out of the fill plug.

I am assuming that the Citroen gearbox is similar in that respect to the Renault gearbox.
QuadCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I just had my 88 C35 gearbox oil changed a few months ago due to a recalcitrant 5th gear issue (which went away eventually after the oil change).

Some (reputable folks) have said overfilling the C35 was not damaging. My C35 had 3 quarts pushed in until it overflowed around the 2.75 qt mark. Seems fine for now. I believe it's AUTOMATIC transmissions that are sensitive to overfilling, less so for manual transmissions.

FYI after 15 months, the oil coming out was noticeably darker than the original red (Redline oil). And the magnetic drain plug had some (new?) metal filings on it - small quantities, but still a little disconcerting. No shift issues beyond an occasional 2-3 fast shift that may/may not grind a bit.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

You do NOT want to overfill the transmission. It can cause foaming, aeration, and makes it leak. If you can't find Redline locally, just order it.
David Teitelbaum
jtrealty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCam View Post
I get mine at Summitracing.com

You can't really overfill it. you are going to fill it until the oil reaches the level of the fill plug....and more and it just flows out of the fill plug.

I am assuming that the Citroen gearbox is similar in that respect to the Renault gearbox.
Citroen gearbox fill procedure is similar to the Renault UN-1 but you can overfill it as the fill hole is on the top of the box and the level hole is on the side. I do believe Harry M recommends a slight overfill but check with him. He's the only one I'd listen to regarding this issue, and Tim E of course...
Old 02-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bought it off of ebay, one thing I've learned lately, its better to be a ebay buyer, than an ebay seller, as their fees are ridiculous anymore.
amanda11270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Citroen Transaxle Gear Oil Capacity = 2.25 Liters = 4.0 UK Pint = 4.8 US Pints = 2.4 US Qts.

The fill plug is on top of the gearbox, and there's a grommet-plugged hole in the boot floor, under the carpet, for access. The oil 'level' plug is on the left side of the 'gearbox', behind the differential housing/ output shafts. The early Citroen transaxles have one hex-head plug in that area, and the later C35 version has two. The rib pattern changes on the side of the gearbox. The oil level plug is lower, in the rectangular grid area, and the other blanking plug plug is higher up in the diamond pattern area. Ignore it.

Fifth gear is in a separate housing bolted onto the back, and separated by the rear wall of the main gearbox. There's no internal passageway for oil to flow between the chambers, so it must flow through the ball bearing at the back end of the secondary shaft (lower shaft). With cold, thick oil being poured in, that can take a while. If you just pour oil in until it starts to over-flow from the level hole on the side and quit, then the oil level will end up too low after the oil finishes oozing into the 5th housing and the levels equalize.

Either fill-wait-check, fill-wait-check repeatedly until the level stabilizes. Or, with the level plug in place, just pour in the spec amount of gear oil, plus a little, walk away, and wait. Later, pull the plug from the level hole, and let any excess drain out. Or, if you wish to follow Harry's advice, just pre-measure the target amount, pour it in, and install the fill plug. Done.

Harry's advice to run with the level a little high is good. I've do it, but I don't knock myself out to ensure that it's a little high. If it's at the level hole, or a little high, I'm good with it. Just don't grossly overfil.

Just don't run the transaxle low. That's gospel.
Then if it's full or a little over is less critical.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Lotus Owners Oftha North (LOON)

Last edited by Esprit2; 02-24-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Esprit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

The socket for the plug is a 10mm square and tough to find; I ordered mine from snap-on. The easy way to fill is to drop a tube with funnel from above, next to the turbo. It is really easy to do. Put teflon tape on the plug when you put it back.
95 Esprit S4s #158
05 Volvo V70R (factory delivery)
91 MR2 turbo (gone but not forgotten)
lcf_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
I just ordered a gallon from Summit Racing, the cost was $57.95 plus $9.95 shipping and handling from Georgia to Florida.

2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Daily Driver)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
LotusGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcf_guy View Post
The socket for the plug is a 10mm square and tough to find; I ordered mine from snap-on. (Snip)...
That's true for the Renault UN1 transaxle, and PMP410A is the Snap-on part number for the 10mm square female socket.

For the Citroen, the drain, level and fill plugs are just metric hex heads.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Old 02-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Did a google search, think CA. had it, ordered enough for 2 changes, changed it again after 1k, shifted like butter, before that my 1990 Esprit would grind all the time. Best thing you can do for your transaxle
BlkLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

Overfilling is OK to a point. It will leak anyway so it wont take long till it is at or even below the proper level.

Question: How do you know it is time to check the fluid level in a British car?

Answer: When it stops leaking!

The most important point is that the level should be checked regularly. If it is low you should refill to at least level with the level plug when the car is level. At least once a year or 5,000 miles. If you do not know what kind of oil is in there or when it was last changed you should change it. Do not put the oil in until you have installed the transmission back in the car. Don't ask me how I know that!
David Teitelbaum
Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrealty View Post
(Snip)... Question: How do you know it is time to check the fluid level in a British car? (Snip)...
But the Renault and Citroen transaxles are French. ;-)

Giving my Citroen transaxle it's due, it's not a leaker. The output seals are at risk in the S1 & S2 cars (halfshafts are suspension arms), and when they fail they gush. But when in normally well maintained condition, it doesn't leak significantly.

Regards,
Tim Engel
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
The socket for the plug is a 10mm square and tough to find; I ordered mine from snap-on. ...
Talking about the Renault transaxle again, I got a 10mm square socket from this guy on eBay:

Drain Plug Key Socket Female Square 10mm Fits Some Gearboxes DiFFs | eBay

However someone had pretty well rounded off the refill plug before I got to it (both the drain and refill really). I used a Gator Grip to extract the old refill plug. It was a triumphant moment when it finally came free.

Gator Grip® 1 4" 3 4" Universal Socket etc 120 | eBay

I have replacement plugs for both on order.
davidwh918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you can find it, you should use a magnetic plug for the bottom drain. You must be sure it is not too long otherwise it could actually hit internal moving parts. For the pipe plug type plug you should use a little teflon tape so it doesn't leak, you do not have to overtighten it to prevent a leak, and it will make it easier to remove. Once you start using vise grips and/or gator grips or a pipe wrench, you will not be able to use the proper adapter.
David Teitelbaum
Old 03-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
The socket for the plug is a 10mm square and tough to find...
I got mine here:

CTA Tools 2048 10-Millimeter Female Square Head Drain Plug Socket - Amazon.com CTA Tools 2048 10-Millimeter Female Square Head Drain Plug Socket - Amazon.com

Last edited by irox; 03-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.
irox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

All,

Bumping this thread...I got a big problem...

Somehow, someway, my trans. oil drain plug has seized itself into the transmission. I have no idea how this could have happened. And despite my best efforts to not round it off, it has unfortunately happened. There was no way to avoid it.

To be clear, I change my gear oil every year, have done so since I have owned my car...

I DID NOT over tighten it. I know better.

The oil fill plug came out no problem.

I am going to *try* to weld a nut onto the drain plug to try and have something to grab onto to help extract. Worse case scenario, it that doesn't work, ie. the welds break, there will be a very, very careful drilling out.

Does JAE or anyone else sell the drain plugs?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best,

Joe
2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
91MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
BANNED

I lost my drain plug for my 91 SE a long time ago. A true mystery where it went.

In any case, I can't remember what I used to replace it, but it was something common around the garage.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Understood...that part I am less worried about...I am quite sure it is just a pipe thread...

The real concern is going to be the removal of the existing plug from the case...w/o causing any other damage...

I can't sleep...
2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
91MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
BANNED

Well you asked...

You'll get it out, even if you have to drill it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
lotusespritse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Esprit