2011/2012 questions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

2011/2012 questions

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and am getting ready buying a new car to replace my Jag in a few months. I can't stop drooling over the look of the Evora I've been all over the place as far as looking at new cars from Porsche 993's and 997's, Viper's and NSX's. I stumbled across an ad for a used Evora a few weeks ago and was surprised at the affordability. Now that I've done some homework and have test driven a new '11 NA the other day, I'm contemplating whether to go for a new/slightly used '11 S, or a new 2012 NA, or maybe even an S . I was able to sit in a new '12 and I really liked the upgraded interior and Pioneer system in it but I'm not sure it's worth the premium to me though.
So I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer through research.
1: Does the 2012 US Evora (NA and S) have a noticeably louder exhaust than the '11?
2: Does Radium make an intake for the "S" or just the NA? I thought I'd read that they did, but was unable to find it listed.
3. Does anybody have experience with the "old" shifting cables vs the "new' ones on the '12? This was the only disappointment on the '11, as the shifting felt a little sloppy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. Yes
2. Just N/A AFAIK.
3. Couldn't compare it. Shifting is OK most of the time in my 2011 having the cables adjusted.

If I could decide now, I would take the 2012 S over the 2011 S. But I don't think I'd take the 2012 N/A over the 2011 S.
Range Rover Evoque Prestige Si4 - loaded
Sold: Nissan 370Z Roadster Pack - Black Cherry - unmodified
Sold: McLaren MP4-12C, Nissan GT-R 2011
dmpriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think the cables made that much of a difference, though I've only played with the shifter not driven it to compare.

The interior is a huge step forward, and if you have the money, I would lean hard into a 12 car. Unfortunately that means NA IPS (only one manual in the US) or manual S...and there arent much in the way of discounts.
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
Unfortunately that means NA IPS (only one manual in the US) or manual S...and there arent much in the way of discounts.
Interesting, looking through the classifieds I never noticed this. I'm only interested in a manual.
Thanks for the info!
RobP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
From reading posts in various threads within the Evora forum, Lotus seems to have incorporated improvements throughout the MY11 building period, i.e. MY11s with later build dates incorporated significant quality control improvements over early build dates within the MY11 year.

Does anyone know if the same thing applies to MY12s as well? Or are MY12s pretty consistent across all build dates?
texevora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

yep, If you want a 12 manual then it will be an S. I have one and personally believe the S is worth it. It is just so quick. There are quite a few 2012 S's sitting on lots as the 2013's start to arrive so you should be able to negotiate a sizeable discount to MSRP. If you like the exotic race car looks then none of the other cars you noted come close in my opinion. On the exhaust, I would recommend installing a Larini after you buy the car. I thought my R8 sounded really good until I made this change. It sounds fabulous and nobody would ever know that it is a toyota camry V6 Life is short, they are amazing cars.
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've sat in a fair amount of MY12s now, and they seem to be markedly better across the board. Even the 10s got incrementally better the later they got, but Lotus made it a (public) point to really do a better job on the quality and materials in the cabin on 12+ cars, so I'm not sure you'll see them get much better the later they go.
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

larini

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm1 View Post
I would recommend installing a Larini after you buy the car. I thought my R8 sounded really good until I made this change. It sounds fabulous and nobody would ever know that it is a toyota camry V6 Life is short, they are amazing cars.
I installed a Larini in my Elise. Sounded much better - I still needed ear plugs.

The Evora is a much quieter ride - you can actually enjoy the sound system. How is the interior sound with the Larini? Still a quiet ride - around town, on the highway?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yep. I had a Larini on my 08 Elise SC and now one on the Evora. At freeway speed it is not much different than stock and the overall experience is certainly more quiet than the Elise, but that is much more than just the exhaust! You can drive it quietly if you want, but when you put your foot in it then it is serious. Also, you get a lot of backfires and pops when you let off the gas which is great if you like it (I do), but you should be aware it is a much different experience than stock. I personally think the stock is about as good sounding of a V6 that I am heard, but it just did not seem to match the quickness of the car so I opted for something more demonstrative.
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm1 View Post
On the exhaust, I would recommend installing a Larini after you buy the car.
Speaking of LariniÖ. a big box came today. It contained my new Larini Evora S exhaust with delete pipe.

I just wish it came earlier as my car is currently soundly asleep 100 miles from my house for winter.
Attached Images

2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

What's that bad boy Larini S exhaust cost anyway?
Old 12-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
What's that bad boy Larini S exhaust cost anyway?
There are options for the Larini Evora S such as different tips, as well as a valve or no valve. I went with the oval tip (as it looks similar to stock) plus the valve. Depending on configuration, they range from $1250-$1850.

Oval tipped with valve on the muffler plus pipe delete was $1990.78 to my door.

Shinoo and crew at Sector111 were great to deal with.

Larini Evora 'S' Sports Muffler
Old 12-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Regarding the exhaust,it is really a matter of taste. I tried first a Larini but the sound was really too loud for me and for the idea I have of a fair and balanced Evora sound.
Finally I set up a Lotus sport exhaust stage 1 and it's perfect. The sound and feeling is more appreciate than the regular S exhaust but less "aggressive" than a Larini's one.
Music is really a matter of personal feeling...

visit Lotus sportcars : lotus Elise, lotus Exige, lotus Evora and lotus Esprit
Lotusevora91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

2011 chrome orange when will you be putting the larini on?
ddotderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddotderek View Post
2011 chrome orange when will you be putting the larini on?
My Evora is put away for the season and is currently 100 miles away. I may try to get to it this weekend, but that is wishful thinking. Unfortunately, it may end up being sometime after the holidays.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

I drove down to where I keep my Evora S for the winter and put my new Larini system on today. Very easy install. I was able to drop the stock muffler with the resonator attached no problem. Took a couple of hours, but I did some cleaning while I was under there.

It sounds awesome in the garage with the door open, but it was too late to take it for a spin as I had a 100 mile ride back home. If the weather is nice next weekend, Iím going to try to take a ride back down to take it out on the street. I may try to get some videos too. I canít wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora