The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2016 Evora 400 USA release?

14K views 82 replies 46 participants last post by  KCZ 
#1 ·
Any updates on the Evora 400 timeline for release in the USA?
Does it really take this long to comply with US bumper regulations?

In addition, any more info on release timeline for the Evora 400 targa / roadster or the Evora 410?

I was excited last year. As the months drag on, my excitement wanes sadly and I begin looking for other cars...

Thanks!

#2 ·
I emailed Lotus over a week ago asking that question and the schedule for the 2 cars that were visiting the dealerships. No answer. I then went by a dealer and was told Sep-Oct by a salesperson, who clearly was not certain given the current delays. They were unsure of the cause for the delays, but did refer in general to US certification requirements. I don't know if they were simply guessing or not. I figured it was a fair guess.

#3 ·
The latest I heard a week ago from my salesperson out of the Denver Co location was sometime in July . It's really frustrating that Lotus can't just be upfront about the delays. I have a car with a deposit down and now it could be even beyond July. After all of these delays I bet Mark123 that sales guy was correct and it will end up being the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The long delay of the 400 release pretty much sealed the deal for me. I've put even more $ into my S since the 400 was announced and supposed to come last year. Plus, my S is now pretty much exactly as I want it. And, if I was to order another Evora (400), it would be orange again anyways (favorite color). So, I've decided not to order another one.

On a side note, contrary to most of what I've seen in various posts, I don't blame the US Gov. for how long it has taken for US certification. Its not like a pop quiz where they change the questions. Every manufacturer knows what is required for US certification. How come every other manufacturer can get certified in a timely fashion but Lotus can't?

#11 ·
We know that at least one person from Lotus does periodically look here. Is there a particular reason they won't comment on when the 400 will come?

I don't think the devaluation of the GPB will affect car prices - and this has been a topic in another thread - any more than currency fluctuations normally do. It seems that such changes affect the profitability of the manufacturer to a much greater degree than the price of the car. You only need to look at the prices quoted on the home country sites of various manufacturers, e.g., MB, BMW, etc., to see that if you converted those prices to US dollars, the prices would vary dramatically. For example, if you look at a 400 in France, the price in US dollars is around $115,000; in the UK, it's $100k today, and was $116k two weeks ago. Similarly, a Mercedes GLC SUV, similarly equipped, looks like around $67K US, and in Germany, around $67k Euros (these are prices without VAT), but that's closer to $75US. I think the manufacturers pick out the price point they want to sell cars at in various markets, and generally absord the fluctuation.

This may well be different, because it's large move over a short period of time, and Lotus is a lot smaller, but they may also be able to wait-and-see for a few months, before any major adjustments. In any event, I don't think we're going to see the 400 suddenly cost 10% less. If Brexit causes prices for goods imported to the UK to go up, the cost of the 400 might just as well go up, as opposed to down.

#13 ·
"Proton’s fortunes in DRB-Hicom’s hands"

Proton?s fortunes in DRB-Hicom?s hands | theSundaily

Found this from mid-April, "PETALING JAYA: Just over four years after DRB-Hicom Bhd took over Proton Holdings Bhd for RM1.2 billion, the conglomerate is stuck between a rock and hard place.
Over the weekend, the government finally admitted that Proton’s current business model was not sustainable after the national car maker came knocking at their door once again for more pocket money...Another asset that DRB-Hicom could look to dispose is British sports car icon Lotus which has put a dent in Proton’s turnaround plan."

Where have we heard that before?

And this from late April, which is more positive:In the hot seats to turn Proton around - Business News | The Star Online

"What about Lotus?

Fuaad: Lotus Group International Ltd, which is based in the UK, was purchased by Proton in 1996. It had production issues in the past but we have recovered financially and the sales have improved. We recently launched the new Lotus Evora 400 and Lotus 3-Eleven where we now have more orders than we can produce, and this is a very good sign. About 48% of our Lotus sales is in the UK and EU market while 52% is in the rest of the world. We are pushing for more sales of Lotus cars in China where the premium market has expanded and there is strong demand in the luxury sports car segment."

And this from early May Proton | New Leadership at Struggling Malaysian Automaker | Industry content from WardsAuto: "Syed Faisal Albar, group managing director-DRB-Hicom immediately replaces Mahathir Mohamad, the country’s prime minister from 1981-2003 who resigned March 30. Faisal also becomes chairman of Group Lotus.

#14 ·
I know at least one person also that looks on here but I do not live on here. This thread was sent to me by a tech from a dealer and the question asked "Is there a particular reason they won't comment on when the 400 will come?" really has a simple answer, - I am on the after sales side which has nothing to do with new car sales at all, so I don't know. I do know our press cars are built and our launch invites have been sent. There will also be a car at LOG which is being driven from the press launch on the Friday to be shown at LOG Saturday and Sunday. I love the bit about bumper regs, actually a number of manufacturers are late introducing product because of VW. This severely backed up testing labs and the high volume manufacturers took all the little guys spots making us and Aston and a few others who had slots get to the back of the line again. I am just trying to slow down the manusha that flows through the rumor mill before everyone jumps in and says the sky is falling. The 400 is a great car and if you haven't had the chance to drive one please do not base your decision on what you read here. Go and drive one when the dealers get their demo's. Rest assured when we get a date for the first dealers cars to arrive I will let the board know.

Dave

#15 ·
While visiting the factory in early June we saw Evora 400s in production for the EU. Word at the time was US cars were to go into production at the end of the month (about now).

It basically takes about 2 weeks from the start of production for a car to go through the line and come out a finished vehicle. Thus first cars to leave the factory would be late July. Another 4 weeks on the water, late Aug. Then 2-4 weeks from the dock to dealers. So, the estimated showroom date was late Sept to mid Oct.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi

#17 ·
Lotus is just about profitable and finally has pretty substantial cashflows...I would say they're doing alright.

If we think this rollout is bad, look at the delays for the Giulia...and FCA is a massive automaker compared to Lotus. It happens. I think we forget just how small of a manufacturer they are sometimes. They employee what, ~1000 personnel? They're moving and shaking for someone who does that.

#19 ·
I think the only real issue is the lack of information. Everyone on here obviously supports Lotus and wants them to be successful. We wouldn't all own one if we didn't. But, I guess the fact that since no new cars have been brought over here for a while, everyone gets a little frustrated. (I'll admit that I'm not the most patient person.)

After seeing the new 400 in person, it got me kind of excited thinking about buying a new one. But, the delay and unknown delivery time frame let some of the air out of my sails. Hopefully, the 400 arrives soon and this will all be a moot point.
Maybe when I see them at the dealers, I might just change my mind and go for a new one.....orange of course :grin2: .

#20 ·
The lack of information regarding arrival timing sounds familiar.. I went through the same thing in '05 when I was waiting on my Elise. It was way worth it when it finally came in of course, but the process was frustrating.

#21 ·
Imagine how the dealers feel, no product for how long?

The differences in emissions are just details now, compared to 25 years ago. They should cross approve each others labs and conform to a single standard. US regs are slightly tougher, but mostly just 'different'

Same with crash testing, decide what we should look at and conform.

In the US most of it is about compliance anyway, if the emissions don't last 10 years, or the airbags don't deploy, you get sued

#26 ·
They were making Evora 400's when I was at the factory in Nov. Based on what I was told then, they've made ~1000 bespoke Evora's for ROW by now. I'm sure as soon as the US safety issues are sorted, we'll see them here. After all the company has been through, I don't see it folding now that they've actually got products and markets to sell them in.

#31 ·
Will have to drive one to comment. Good time to show up in Evora to let them know I have a clue about a proper sports car driving experience. We'll have to see hgow all the hybrid paraphenalia is received by the rags and other testers. First write ups I saw didn't make you want to run out and be first in line. Now if you've got ricer in your roots , and N20 Civics were the things you dreamed about, you are already brainwashed. Will it be a spirited sports car or just another sanitary Asian driver full of electronannies like the GTR that make it stupid easy to drive quickly, no matter how bad you really are.
BTW everything I've heard points to it being a 2017.

#33 ·
Will it be a spirited sports car or just another sanitary Asian driver full of electronannies like the GTR that make it stupid easy to drive quickly, no matter how bad you really are.
I think the NSX will be the epitome of that end of the sports car spectrum; it's what is state of the art when it comes to sports car design...

#34 ·
Basically, no talent required and shut off the electronannies and we drop your warranty.

#37 ·
It absolutely perplexes me why Lotus can't tell us more information on what is arriving and when it will arrive .

It's frustrating to wait so long for a car and have no idea when it will arrive . I placed a deposit on a car with Lotus of Denver for a 6 speed / white with black sport pack and forged wheels approx one year ago. Brian, since you work for Lotus, can you give me an idea when my car will arrive ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#39 · (Edited)
Morning,

I work for Gator Motorsport, we are a Lotus dealer in Indianapolis. Unfortunately, I am not privy to such information regarding particular orders.

OTOH, The first cars are hitting dealers today! Have a great weekend!

-Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.