2bular NA Evora Exhaust System - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
I have the Radium CAI, decat pipe, and Kold-fire tune. .
LYNN, since you have the pipe, can you tell me if the original 3rd Cat has a O2 sensor attached to it, and if so, does this attach to the new sector 111 pipe? No CEL show with the pipe? Thanks!
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
LYNN, since you have the pipe, can you tell me if the original 3rd Cat has a O2 sensor attached to it, and if so, does this attach to the new sector 111 pipe? No CEL show with the pipe? Thanks!
Not Lynn, but the OEM Lotus 3rd main cat does NOT have any O2 sensor(s) in it. The OEM set up has the Pre-Cat O2 sensors in the Headers, and the Post-Cat sensors in the Downtube. So, the Sector 111 "DeCat Pipe", or ANY replacing the Main Cat, will NOT give a CEL, or in any way affect the ECU.

The 3rd Main Cat only becomes a consideration when you replace the Pre-Cat Header Manifolds with aftermarket Headers. Then, the Pre-Cat O2 sensors are moved to the Header collectors, and the Post-Cat sensors moved to the distal end of the Main 3rd Cat. That is why the aftermarket Metallic Main Cats have O2 sensor ports, OR if you use the OEM Main Cat, you must weld in bungs for the Post-Cat O2 Sensors.
Bobsy Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
the OEM Lotus 3rd main cat does NOT have any O2 sensor(s) in it. The OEM set up has the Pre-Cat O2 sensors in the Headers, and the Post-Cat sensors in the Downtube. So, the Sector 111 "DeCat Pipe", or ANY replacing the Main Cat, will NOT give a CEL, or in any way affect the ECU
Thank you for the great explanation on this.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunagain View Post
I have just had the Radium CAI and Larini 3rd cat replacement pipe done. It sounds great when pressing on and as quiet as stock when on the motorway in the 'region' of 70mph.

Sadly I did not do a power run before I got it fitted, but I am giving and demo to a friend with an NA in the same town as me. His is bone stock, so I will see if he would like to try a shoot out on a local dyno. Watch this space.

I was also very lucky to get a ride in Don's car when I was in San Diego last week. (Thanks for being such a great host BTW!). I can confirm that it sounds absolutely fantastic, really ballsy when pressing on and not massively loud when cruising but certainly louder than stock. I think for Don and the bulk of Evora owners who use it as a special occasion car - it is perfect.

For me tho' the 2bular+lotus sports back box is a little too loud during cruising as I use mine every day and rack up about 1000 miles a month, so I think my approach - for more power when the warranty (or Lotus) runs out, will be to go with the 2bular manifolds/headers, down pipe and sports cat and stay with the stock Lotus back box. That is, unless the rumoured valved exhaust option for pre 2012 NA cars appears from Lotus-Janspeed - I saw the prototype at the Goodwood festival of speed on the Janspeed stand this summer and it looked great!

Exhausts are tricky things and very much down to personal taste! I think I want my cake and to eat it - very quiet cruising - rorty when pressing on and power gains, all at the same time. When it comes to exhausts I recommend hearing one in person if you can!
Please listen to a Larini its a beautiful thing!!
11 BMW Xdrive35d, Vermillion Red w/Cinnamon Brown Leather
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Please listen to a Larini its a beautiful thing!!
The Larini Muffler with 2bular Headers and Downtube may be as loud as Lotus Sport Muffler with Headers and Downtube I installed.

I think Spunagain is looking for a quieter note, while using the 2Bular Headers and Downtube for the HP gain. Getting rid of the Stock Headers, with the included "Pre-Cats", adds quite a bit of exhaust sound. So, the Stock muffler may be the ticket for him.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #46 (permalink)

Another advantage of the 2bular Header-Downtube-Metallic Cat system is the downtube does not hang down below the bellypan.
So, you can cover over those exhaust cutouts in the bellypan, which improves undertray air flow, and keeps dirt etc. out of the engine-transmission bay.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Another advantage of the 2bular Header-Downtube-Metallic Cat system is the downtube does not hang down below the bellypan.
So, you can cover over those exhaust cutouts in the bellypan, which improves undertray air flow, and keeps dirt etc. out of the engine-transmission bay.
That is beautiful work. Did you fab those yourself? Aluminum?
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
That is beautiful work. Did you fab those yourself? Aluminum?
Yes, I fab'd them myself. They are .063" 6061 T6 Aluminum, the same thickness as the bellypan.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #49 (permalink)
Elise Driver

Very nice Don - looking good!

Pic of my twin-silencer system for owners looking to just swap out the 3rd Cat + the heavy factory silencer:

approx $900 + shipping.

Advantages: serious weight-saving over the factory system + Cat. No need for a separate De-Cat pipe - 2bular system bolts directly to the downpipe flexy section flange. I can tune the amount of noise you want by varying the size of the two silencers. In the pic are two x 5"dia silencers - owner wanted to know he was driving a sportscar!
I can go up to two x 8"dia silencers for a much quieter but still characterful exhaust note.
Choice of Ti or Carbon exhaust tips - (extra cost).

Performance exhausts for 2zz-ge Elise & Exige at
www.2bular.co.uk
2bular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bular View Post
Very nice Don - looking good!

Pic of my twin-silencer system for owners looking to just swap out the 3rd Cat + the heavy factory silencer:

approx $900 + shipping.

Advantages: serious weight-saving over the factory system + Cat. No need for a separate De-Cat pipe - 2bular system bolts directly to the downpipe flexy section flange. I can tune the amount of noise you want by varying the size of the two silencers. In the pic are two x 5"dia silencers - owner wanted to know he was driving a sportscar!
I can go up to two x 8"dia silencers for a much quieter but still characterful exhaust note.
Choice of Ti or Carbon exhaust tips - (extra cost).
I hope I donít sound ignorant, but I am just not familiar with the underside of our cars. My question to Tubular is: Your new exhaust system is a direct bolt on without the need to discard the catalytic converters? Therefore this new system should have no problem passing California smog? And, you can tune the sound to a customer preference depending on the can size? Please see pic with red arrow as I understand this would work.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I hope I donít sound ignorant, but I am just not familiar with the underside of our cars. My question to Tubular is: Your new exhaust system is a direct bolt on without the need to discard the catalytic converters? Therefore this new system should have no problem passing California smog? And, you can tune the sound to a customer preference depending on the can size? Please see pic with red arrow as I understand this would work.
Craig,
You are correct with your installation red arrow connecting the 2bular twin-silencer system to the Downtube flex coupler. It is for owners looking to just swap out the 3rd Cat + the heavy factory silencer-muffler, while leaving in the Lotus Factory Headers and Downtube.

Since the Lotus OEM set-up has the Cats in the Headers, with the Pre-Cat O2 sensors in the headers and the Post Cat O2 sensors in the Downtube, NOTHING is measured after the Downtube. So, you can remove the 3rd "Main Cat" with no consequence.

If you put this twin-silencer system muffler on my car pictured, which has the 2bular headers WITHOUT the built in Cats, you would be removing ALL of the Cats, and obviously get a CEL and Smog issues.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #52 (permalink)

Sure, now they appear. That looks great and wish this was around before I went straight pipe, Larini. Would have even saved some coin!!

Last edited by brgelise; 11-14-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #53 (permalink)
Elise Driver

Quote:
Craig,
You are correct with your installation red arrow connecting the 2bular twin-silencer system to the Downtube flex coupler. It is for owners looking to just swap out the 3rd Cat + the heavy factory silencer-muffler, while leaving in the Lotus Factory Headers and Downtube.

Since the Lotus OEM set-up has the Cats in the Headers, with the Pre-Cat O2 sensors in the headers and the Post Cat O2 sensors in the Downtube, NOTHING is measured after the Downtube. So, you can remove the 3rd "Main Cat" with no consequence.

If you put this twin-silencer system muffler on my car pictured, which has the 2bular headers WITHOUT the built in Cats, you would be removing ALL of the Cats, and obviously get a CEL and Smog issues.
Thank you Don

The factory headers with their Pre-Cats are not exactly performance-oriented. The 2bular headers remove those and if you need to meet emissions you can add the big Sports Cat like most of my US customers have or you can add a couple of smaller diameter 200cell Sports Cats to the twin silencer system.

Removing the headers is a serious install and tbh, I think most owners just want a better sound and some good weight-saving in a critical area. I work a lot with race teams and we knew the headers/pre-cats had to come out right away.

Performance exhausts for 2zz-ge Elise & Exige at
www.2bular.co.uk
2bular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #54 (permalink)
Disciple of Chapman

Garage
Does anyone know if you can use the Larini Decat with the Lotus Sports Exhaust?
When I emailed Sector 111 I was told it only worked with Larini Sports Exhaust. Why would it be any different?

Reading the Larini material they also use Cat and Resonator interchangeably
"Larini Evora Decat is a high temperature resistant, hollow pipe, which replaces the OE resonator right before the muffler."

But when I emailed they asked if I was replacing the resonator or the cat?

Now I'm confused
Chhirowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhirowolf View Post
Does anyone know if you can use the Larini Decat with the Lotus Sports Exhaust?
When I emailed Sector 111 I was told it only worked with Larini Sports Exhaust. Why would it be any different?

Reading the Larini material they also use Cat and Resonator interchangeably
"Larini Evora Decat is a high temperature resistant, hollow pipe, which replaces the OE resonator right before the muffler."

But when I emailed they asked if I was replacing the resonator or the cat?

Now I'm confused
FWIW, you can use the 2bular decat pipe with the Lotus Sports exhaust (my setup). Cannot speak for the Larini decat pipe specifically.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #56 (permalink)
Disciple of Chapman

Garage
Quote:
FWIW, you can use the 2bular decat pipe with the Lotus Sports exhaust (my setup). Cannot speak for the Larini decat pipe specifically.
Do you have a Linky for that?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #57 (permalink)

Chiro, Shino directly tells me it should be called a resonator . There are NO cells in there. It had a baffle like material to dampen sound.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #58 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhirowolf View Post
Do you have a Linky for that?
Sure:

Evora N/A De-Cat Pipe

Install was very straightforward.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #59 (permalink)
Disciple of Chapman

Garage
Quote:
Sure:

Evora N/A De-Cat Pipe

Install was very straightforward.
Thanks lynnpreston

not sure why Sector 111 says teh larini pipe wil not work.
this is their reply

Hi Andrew,

Are you wanting the delete the resonator or cat?

The Larini Evora Decat will not work the Lotus Sports Exhaust. The Larini Evora Decat works with and will fit the Larini Exhausts. The 02 sensor in the Evora does not have to be configured.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Chiro, Shino directly tells me it should be called a resonator . There are NO cells in there. It had a baffle like material to dampen sound.
Jim has posted pics to show otherwise. Lotus themselves refer to it as the main cat...lets just agree to end the confusion and agree to call it a cat. Maybe all of the cars did not come with a cat installed in that location but for the sake of not contstantly mixing terms lets agree to call it a cat. Also since there are no O2 sensors mounted to it, it can be removed without throwing a cel.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora