Aftermarket Wheels - Suggestions - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Aftermarket Wheels - Suggestions

Hey guys. Im planning on powder coating my factory forged wheels to white (to match my Evora's Ice White), and was wanting to have have a second set of wheels to use for more everyday use. I'm having trouble finding aftermarket wheels that would fit our Evoras. Some have said our bolt pattern matches Hyundai's, but the center bore is too small on the Hyundai's (not that I'd technically want Hyundai wheels, it's just hard to find websites where you can pick "Lotus" for wheels that match). Does anyone have any suggestions on sites/stores to visit for aftermarket wheels for our Evoras? I know Squid said he has some - where did you get those Squid, and what were they?

Thanks

Joe
joevorndran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Relapsing Honda fan

Just shop by rim specs, I don't know the size and offset of evora rims but it shouldn't be too hard to find. Practically all aftermarket rims will have a larger center bore than necessary so you don't need to factor that into your selections.

For instance on my Elise I went with 17"x7" +42 offset front rims, with a 12mm hub and rim centric spacer (centers the additional width) and 18"x8" +35 offset rear rims, no spacer.

Last edited by yellow99s; 02-14-2013 at 02:20 PM.
yellow99s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Team Dynamics Pro Race wheels are used on the Evora.

Apparently they are $1200 for a set of 18" front and rear.

18" Evora Track Wheels/Tires
Evora GT4 arrived HK
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevorndran View Post
Hey guys. Im planning on powder coating my factory forged wheels to white (to match my Evora's Ice White), and was wanting to have have a second set of wheels to use for more everyday use. I'm having trouble finding aftermarket wheels that would fit our Evoras. Some have said our bolt pattern matches Hyundai's, but the center bore is too small on the Hyundai's (not that I'd technically want Hyundai wheels, it's just hard to find websites where you can pick "Lotus" for wheels that match). Does anyone have any suggestions on sites/stores to visit for aftermarket wheels for our Evoras? I know Squid said he has some - where did you get those Squid, and what were they?

Thanks

Joe
VSA Motorsports in Van Nuys, Ca. sells the team dynamics 18" wheels and I believe they have a couple of sets of stock wheels for sale.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was able to find a set of OEM wheels trading on the for sale forum here too, so you might want to keep an eye on that also. I got what I think is a pretty fair price for the forged stealth grey wheels and now I keep my black 19/20" wheels in storage.
Cantdecide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
You may want to paint your wheels rather than powder coat! The temps used in setting the powder coat are entering the range of tempering temps. for aluminium alloys thus possibly altering the strength and ductility properties of the wheels.

As to wheel dimensions, I have posted complete offset and center hole info elsewhere in LT
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
You may want to paint your wheels rather than powder coat! The temps used in setting the powder coat are entering the range of tempering temps. for aluminium alloys thus possibly altering the strength and ductility properties of the wheels.

As to wheel dimensions, I have posted complete offset and center hole info elsewhere in LT
I've done a lot of research on this and have found differing opinions on it. Most say that it's not true. Also, my local shop says that it's all BS anymore. All wheels today are powder coated when they're manufactured, forged or cast alloys. My understanding is that powder coating is done at around 400 degrees, but it would require temps in excess of 650 degrees for a period of time to weaken a forged wheel. I'm sure these statements will open up a huge debate here on this thread...

Oh, and on the wheel dimensions, I've seen the standard ones posted (18/19's), but I havent seen any #'s for the 19/20's. Obviously same bolt pattern & center bore, but what are the widths on those wheels?

Last edited by joevorndran; 02-15-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
While annealing is at higher temps of 650 to 775 def F, precipitation HT can occur 250 to 350 degs F (admittedly over many hours). Not all wheels are PCoated by the manufacturer.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

The bolt pattern is very common used in most fords and many other brands. The problem is our spigot hole is an uncommon size. Not a huge deal you just need to have a set of hubcentric rings made. I used a set of Konig rims for my winter tyres and got the centering rings here Hub Centric Rings, Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers | Motorsport Tech
The problem that I found in trying to source rims is most suppliers don't have proper measurement specs for our brakes. I found a local rim guy who let try a bunch of different rims to see how they fit.
JSMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Will a 20x10 wheel fit the rear of an Evora? I know the S' are 20x9.5's...

I am currently favoring these wheels: http://avantgardewheels.com/m368.php
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

It "should" but I haven't tried. I'd love some good 20's to fit and wider to allow for a more aggressive look.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #12 (permalink)

Larger diameter wheels (and tires) add weight exactly where you don't want it, at the outermost area of rational weight. Terrible for acceleration, handling and braking.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Avant Garde got back with me and told me those wheels I liked wouldn't fit the Evora. He said those offsets would require custom made wheels. I understand how offset plays a big factor into handling, so obviously deviating from that could cause different (worse) handling behavior... so I think I'd want to stick with similar offsets. Given that, I guess our only option is to have custom made wheels...?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

19/20's are overkill on this car. That is why 18/18's are proper for any serious use. The big dubs era is coming to an end folks.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Im not concerned about using 19/20's, I can use the stock 18/19's, or even do 18/18's. The issue with aftermarket wheels and our Evoras is the offset - the Evora has such a large positive offset - which most, if not all, wheel manufactures don't make in bulk - i.e., will require custom made wheels.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Aftermarket Wheels - Suggestions

Per Lotusenv posted above, the Team Dynamic wheels in 18/18 are an option, and very reasonably priced too considering the limited choices that we have.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
vkykam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Elsewhere in LT I have posted offsets and hub centers for factory wheels and Team Dynamic/Lotus Motorsport 18/18 fitment.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

I have spoken with HRE Performance Wheel Co., and they have made wheels for the Evora, and have all the dimensions.
Their wheels are very high quality, although pricy.
HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport | Forged 1-piece and 3-piece luxury wheels for high performance vehicles. We are the wheel industry's leader in quality and service.
Bobsy Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
I have spoken with HRE Performance Wheel Co., and they have made wheels for the Evora, and have all the dimensions.
Their wheels are very high quality, although pricy.
HRE Performance Wheels | Luxury Street Motorsport | Forged 1-piece and 3-piece luxury wheels for high performance vehicles. We are the wheel industry's leader in quality and service.
You can snag 5 sets of Team Dynamics for the price of one set of theirs.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Im not really looking for racing wheels, just wanted something different on my Evora to match my tastes. The team dynamics dont really do it for me, unfortunately. I found these wheels tonight: Work Wheels :: Products :: Emotion CR-KAI

Looks like their fitment options might just work for 18's in the 7.5 front & 8.5 widths in rear (the 1 inch less width should make up for the 26mm delta in offset). Im gonna see what they say tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora