Anybody up for turbocharging thier Evora!!!!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Anybody up for turbocharging thier Evora!!!!!!

Hey guys,
I am new to the Lotus scene, been a Lotus tech for a year now. I am talking to a turbo company in Utah about turbo kits for the Evora, and Elise/Exige. I have a customer buying a 2010 Evora, and is willing to part with his new car for a spell while the kit is R-N-D'd. projections are for 400+hp/tq, better emissions, and better gas milage. Cost of kits are projected at 7-8000.00 This would be a cheaper alternative to factory S/C and more bang for the buck. Again, this is in the development stages at this time, trying to gauge demand to see if My GM wants to become a dealer for these kits. PM me or drop an email to me at Franklin4@embarqmail.com.
normbakermotorco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

How/why do you plan on improving emissions?

Btw, I think a turbo Evora would kick ass.
MotoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds cool. With a 120+ boost in HP would be awesome. Keep in mind by the time the S/C kit is completed most Evora owners interested in modding their cars would have likely add more minor, readily available like new exhaust systems. Hopefully the S/C kit could be exhaust-system agnostic
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I prefer the idea of turbo to supercharging, but (I know you think this sounds funny) the Evora already has plenty of power.

Everytime I run it up to the 6000rpm area I find myself in violation of the Georgia "super speeder" law. I feel like power already peaks quite a bit in the upper revs, a turbo will make it even more pronounced and harder to pull off shifts without hitting the rev limiter.

Still, for public perception, we need kits like that out there. I can't believe how badly Car & Driver ran the Evora on their "Lightning Lap".
Notorious L.R.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
kaz

If someone would get a 400+ wheel solution to the market with appropriate drivetrain upgrades, internals...etc. I would get very interested in getting an Evora.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yes, Yes, Yes. If you need another R&D car let me know. If not I'll pay for the finished project if its anywhere within reason!!
Thello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

I haven't tried the Evora S and don't know if extra power will be of any use in everyday's life, but If it's technically possible (and available in Europe), why not!
Is a Porsche Cayman S quicker and faster? Yeah, probably, a little, if you judge things so parlously as to measure your life in tenths of a second. The Evora is a connoisseurís car, a driverís shibboleth and secret code, a prime number of a machine that is indivisible by anything other than itself.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have an Evora customer who's been asking about turbochargers.
Moto44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Just my $0.02, but I think adding turbochargers to the Evora engine package would be a big mistake. Having owned a Noble for 5 years (from new) I can say that 95% of the issues with that car are directly related to poor engine/exhaust heat management, and that in turn is a result of the packaging of the drivetrain.
It's clear that the Evora's drivetrain is very tightly packaged into the chassis in order to optimize size and weight distribution, and, IMO, adding turbos to that package (which was never designed for them) will create enormous heat management issues that will not be solvable without significant R&D effort and cost. DON'T DO IT!
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
JLSELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSELISE View Post
Just my $0.02, but I think adding turbochargers to the Evora engine package would be a big mistake. Having owned a Noble for 5 years (from new) I can say that 95% of the issues with that car are directly related to poor engine/exhaust heat management, and that in turn is a result of the packaging of the drivetrain.
It's clear that the Evora's drivetrain is very tightly packaged into the chassis in order to optimize size and weight distribution, and, IMO, adding turbos to that package (which was never designed for them) will create enormous heat management issues that will not be solvable without significant R&D effort and cost. DON'T DO IT!
+1
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
+1 I agree.

I think the best F.I. option for the Evora is a Rotrex SC with an intercooler (preferably air-to-water with a front mount heat exchanger).

- Turbos store a tremendous amount of heat energy, as you discussed.
- The 3.5L is torquey enough that a roots SC is not really needed.
- Rotrex adds power nice and linear increasing toward the top end.
- Power delivery is smooth and predictable
- Less heat, self contained lubrication, and quiet operation (just makes the motor sound meaner).
- The packaging allows for easy engineering even in tight configurations.
- Easy to run an intercooler for more power and safer states of tune.

I had a Rotrex on the 1zzfe (1.8L) in my Spyder prior to installing the 2GRFE 3.5L. It was great! I only sold the setup to fund my 2GRFE swap, otherwise I would still have it. I don't plan on ever adding boost to the 2GRFE in my Spyder, but if I did I would definitely use a Rotrex again.

Here is a dyno for my old 1zzfe Rotrex setup. (note the 1zz originally made around 125rwhp)!! Imagine what a bigger one would do for a 2GRFE.

uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Good point. On a hot day my Evora breathes fire out of each and every vent surrounding the back glass panel.
Notorious L.R.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

+1 also. On a hot day, after some spirited driving, you can see the temp gauge climb when sitting at idle. The intake fan on the passenger side will turn on (sounds like a vacuum cleaner) to keep the temp down to a manageable level. But it's still slightly above the center line.
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

which company in utah is it exactly who is turbocharging the thing???
i live in oohtah and was just curious.
i know of a few that are pretty knowledgeable and crafty and a few that aren't
Old 01-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was going to ask the same question. Who in Utah?
hegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #16 (permalink)

sorry about the delay guys, have to turn a wrench to make money! The company is STS turbo systems in Orem, Utah. For those of you with the heat concerns, Like I said right now the kit is in the development stages. I have used STS kits on a couple of customers vehicles(non Lotus), and am really impressed with the performance and the engineering of the kits. The last kit I installed was on a 2006 Ford F150. On just 7 psi boost, we improved rwhp/tq by about 125hp/210tq. This was intercooled rear mount system without methonal injection.
normbakermotorco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

rick squires (owner sts turbo) is a pretty sharp guy, i know him.
his company is the only one i know of that can do CARB legal turbo kits
he is really cool too
good luck!

Last edited by RCHAD; 01-21-2011 at 06:01 AM.
RCHAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Any Updates on your progress??
ramtin1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Did anything ever come of this? Sorry to bump an old thread!
jaydubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #20 (permalink)

2 years later R&D went up in flames!! along with the melted rear clam.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora