Bad Key - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bad Key

Has some of you may know, I had one of my keys replaced under warranty about 1 1/2 months ago. While my car was at the dealer for one of my many Nav problem visits, the dealer called and asked me to bring by my spare key. Apparently the key that I left with the car stopped working. When I got there with the spare key, the one that I had left with them started working again. When they tried to start the car, all of the warning light would come on and the speedo and Tach needles would move but it would not start. The key would also not Lock or unlock the doors or open the trunk. The other odd thing is, the key started working again on it's own. They did replace the key batteries, but it did not help.
So they ordered me a new key, to replace the on that I had left with the car. Since then every thing was fine, until yesterday, I took my spar key (not the one that was replaced) and tried to start the car. The same problem different key.
So the dealer has ordered a new 2nd key for me. We did ask Lotus the first time to replace the key transmuter/receiver in the car, they said no.
So my fear is, now when I go on a drive I need to take both keys and hope one works. The dealer did say that Lotus told them that this a known problem.
I did do a search for thread on this subject, but it came up empty.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had an issue a while ago where one of my remote fobs temporarily acted up. Around the same time forum member keinayo had used fobs without keys available. I ended up buying two. So, I now have the original 2 fobs with keys and two spare fobs without keys.

One thing that I noticed while programming the fobs I bought was that when I reprogrammed the first two remotes, my other two remote fobs with keys did not work. They say 6 remotes can be programmed to each car, so I wondered if adding the two remotes had put me over the 6 remote limits somehow. I thought maybe the factory had 6 remote codes already programmed and when they add the two keys they give you, they just bump out two of the previous codes. So by me adding two new fobs, I bumped out the original fobs with keys the car came with??

Anyway, I put in new batteries and reprogrammed all four remotes in succession (somewhat of a pain) and they all worked fine. I now carry a spare fob in my pocket whenever I take the Evora out as a precaution. Without the key portion, it is relatively small. So far, none of my fobs have acted up again (fingers crossed).

When you left the dealer, did you use the spare key you brought to them or the first one they replaced? Had they reprogrammed the new one they ordered for you? Maybe that one bumped your spare out of programming sync?
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
, so I wondered i
When you left the dealer, did you use the spare key you brought to them or the first one they replaced? Had they reprogrammed the new one they ordered for you? Maybe that one bumped your spare out of programming sync?[/QUOTE]

When I picked up the car I used the new key that they programed for me. They check both keys, and said that they worked. I had used both keys since then.
Thanks for the info, I will look into it.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Old 01-01-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ron,
The same thing happened to me 2 summers ago. I used my FOB to lock the car but when I returned the FOB would not unlock the car. I manually unlocked it and the alarm went off. I thought it was a dead battery in the FOB so I had to walk 1 mile to get a battery but when I got back with the new battery installed, the FOB still did not work.

I used the PIN alarm by-pass to start the car and drove home. The next morning the FOB still did not work so I called the dealer and drove the 6 hours to his shop since I had some other warranty issues to address.

When I arrived at the shop I turned the car off and tried the FOB again just to verify with the tech. It still would not work.

The next day the tech called and said he rotated the battery carrier inside the key head around and the FOB came to life. And it has continued to work without incident ever since??

But I keep the PIN alarm by-pass # in my phone just in case I need to use it.
Rfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
ok I was at Galpin today, They had to try two new transmuters to find one that would work. And that one needed to have the battery moved around. I also got my Alarm pin # and key code. So for now I am set for the time being.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora