The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Bad Throttle Body Connector, or ????

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tbd_Evora 
#1 ·
Looking for some expertise....

Every month or so, my car begins to hesitate on acceleration. Soon after, my traction control light will come on, the engine light will come on, and occasionally the car will go into limp mode.

Without fail, if I unplug and replug the throttle body connector, everything goes back to normal and the check engine light goes out after a few starts.

Is this a bad throttle body connector, or something else? Is disconnecting and reconnecting the throttle body connector reseting something?

#3 ·
If the pins are gold, then they shouldn't be corroding, and contact resistance will be low (good). If the pins were some other metal, then it is possible to get an oxide layer between then, and then unplugging and re-plugging the connector will wipe the pins and they'll make good contact again...

Even with gold pins, you could be getting something, let's say salt water from the atmosphere down there, and that could cause problems with shorting out the connectors.

I would squeeze some dielectric grease in that connector, that would prevent corrosion and also prevent moisture from shorting out the pins.

#5 ·
Welcome to the crowd: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/speaking-connectors-229665/#post3163433

Very likely the connector pins are not making full contact, resp. intermittently losing contact. Issue is that the connector latch on the housing says nothing about the pins actually making contact.
You can open the connector and remove the red (or blue) part to gain access to the pins.

#6 ·
Agree with use of dielectric grease. Have used for years, and find it very helpful in maintaining continuity/decrease corrosion etc.... Cheap and easy fix to try first......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.