Bald Tires - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

Garage
Good points, and while we do have switchable vehicle stability control to help idoit proof the car, even that while measuring yaw rates, accelerations, etal is also pre-programed with assumptions so as to stay ahead of the game, don't think differnet tire constrcutions is part of the database.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1.8 (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1)
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my other track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Just to be clear, I am actually running the combination now, and have been for something like 16k miles. All speeds, all conditions, all kinds of roads. Frankly, I will trust my experience over your theory, fellas, no offense.

To those reading this who are thinking about replacing rears only, I can tell you that the Pirelli F Michelin R combination is fine. But don't believe me: try it yourself. If you replace the back tires and find handling is compromised, well then, go ahead and replace the fronts as well.

If you're taking your car to the track, then by all means buy proper track rubber and all that. Listen to your favorite tire expert. But not the experts that one guy here on the Board keeps quoting-- the ones that told him that 3 extra psi would cause his tires to explode... when Lotus quotes 7 extra psi for high speed work!
West-of-Hethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer0943 View Post
I just happened to notice the rear tires (original P-Zeros) on my MY 2011 Evora are almost completely bald. This is on a car with barely 5,000 miles. The front tires seem fine. Can't understand why so bad. I have not put any strain on the wheels that I can recall.

They appear to need to be replaced but would I need to replace all four?
My Evora is a DD and 5,000 miles on a set of tires is not good. In fact based on the way the tires looked, I probably should have replaced them at 4,000.

Don't know enough about tires to make judgments so I rely on reviews both here and on line. Tire Rack says Michelin Pilot SS are ranked #1. Pirelli P-Zeros are #24. Got 2 Michelin's for the rear at $325 each with 45K warranty. So far so good.
pioneer0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

The Michelins seem to be a good tire, and mine are holding up well in the first 1K miles.
But your 45K warranty probably only applies to road hazard coverage and has nothing to do with tread wear . Life of the Michelins on the rear may be about 10K miles, but not much more, I expect.
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design

Last edited by JLSELISE; 02-13-2013 at 08:13 AM.
JLSELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #25 (permalink)
Disciple of Chapman

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer0943 View Post
My Evora is a DD and 5,000 miles on a set of tires is not good. In fact based on the way the tires looked, I probably should have replaced them at 4,000.

Don't know enough about tires to make judgments so I rely on reviews both here and on line. Tire Rack says Michelin Pilot SS are ranked #1. Pirelli P-Zeros are #24. Got 2 Michelin's for the rear at $325 each with 45K warranty. So far so good.
I have never been a fan of tire racks rankings. have been burned a couple of times. That being said I believe the Pilot SS is a very good choice. used tehm on my G35 coupe adn they held up very good, but no where near 40k miles.
Chhirowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Maybe not 45k miles but I do have 15k so far on mine.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #27 (permalink)

I replaced all of my tires with a comparable model for cheaper and so far, they have surpassed the 6,000 mile mark that the pzeros wore out on in the rear and the ride quality wasnt compromised.

Changed back tires to a new brand/model and now the car floats at high speeds
Old 02-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Talked to a Michelin dealer to get clarification on my 45K warranty on the new Pilot SS tires. He said the 45K does warrant tread life. However, he told me that since I have a car with tires that can't be rotated, as apparently required by the warranty, my warranty would only be 50% applicable - or 22.5K miles.
pioneer0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #29 (permalink)

Couple of thoughts, the factory spent a lot of time choosing the tyres and setting the car up for these for optimal performance, its a performance car with performance tyres........

I am not saying don't fit other tyres, i'm not saying you may notice a change of performance but for me whilst they do wear fairly quickly I am really happy with the balance and grip they seem to give and wont be changing to another make
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #30 (permalink)

Ditto! If I get a couple of summers I'd rather have fresh tires. Granted the are not an LTS spec tire though.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Ditto! If I get a couple of summers I'd rather have fresh tires. Granted the are not an LTS spec tire though.
If you can get hold of this video Lotus Evora - The Making of Modern Icon - YouTube it will show the development of the car and Matt Becker talking about tyre choice
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Yup saw it long time ago. Gonna be some guys with 5 yr old tires saving a few bucks???
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
Yup saw it long time ago. Gonna be some guys with 5 yr old tires saving a few bucks???
I feel if you have 5+ year old tires on your car, you haven't driven it enough in the first place.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora