The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

BOE Evora CAI

198K views 915 replies 124 participants last post by  jmardy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hints of better things to come for Evora and Evora S owners. BOE has produced me a great Cold Air Intake system for the Evora S and is modifing to the NA version of the car.

2.5% power and torque gains at 6450 rpm, gains start at 5600 and grow to Redline, no losses along curve, stable air flow ratios. System cuts weight out of tail and offers true cold air draw direct from body scope as per OEM and offers easier access and maintenance of filter element.

Quote from Phil at BOE:"Feeling very good about the car. It drives nice. Throttle response is very crisp and it's VERY eager to rev on tip in!"

Power plots
i) White curve - Komo-Tec Header, Komo-Tec 200 cell Cat, BOE Kold-fire custom tune
ii) Blue curve - (i) + BOE CAI

Attachments

See less See more
#482 ·
Hi Phil
The base line was done a few months ago - it was about 10-12 degrees C cooler then too, but would that really account for a loss of 23 pony's?
Back then with just a radium CAI, cat replacement pipe and stock everything else I was seeing 282 on a day that a stock NA car showed 264 hp.

Have you tried your car with manifolds, CAI and a stock map yet?

#483 ·
It could be a lot of things. The weather would absolutely have a significant impact. 20 C is a lot. Beyond that the computer may have learned certain values that it was happy with with your old exhaust and intake and now that you change the intake and exhaust, it may not be as happy. With a Lotus scan tool you can reset the learned parameters in the computer, and let it reestablish its baseline. I have witnessed the stock computer married to your old intake learn knock retard due to fuel enleanment as well as slightly greater spark advance. If the computer has learned knock retard, it takes a long time for the unlearn that value. If you combine the learned knock retard with the warmer temperatures, you could certainly have a significant loss of power. Again, a computer reset would bring all those values back to zero so that the car can operate normally.

On the other hand, it really could just be Dyno variations. Some dynos are finicky. I cannot emphasize enough how important is to do baselines within close time proximity to the after pull.

-Phil

#485 ·
Sorry, neither diconnecting the battery nor an OBD dongle reset the ECU. Requires a lotus scan tool or Kold-fire cable... or one of these days, a BOE Fastworks cable:)

-Phil

#486 ·
one of these days damnnit.... :)

Phil I know you're swamped so I'm asking here too for clarity's sake--I remember you mentioned something about no-toil...ITG says it is recommended...what say you for re-oiling the filter?

#487 ·
No-Toil not good for them. Stick with PJ-1 or Bell-Ray or any oil that's not water based. We use Bell-ray. Stay away from the bio-friendly oils, as they seem to break down the foam...

....and yes... one of these days... Just to show you that we're making progress, just last night I used our software to pull the performance logs off our Evora. I found that it did it's first 0-100kph standing start on its 8 second birthday and it did it's first 0-150kph standing start on it's 22 second birthday!!! So much for an easy breakin! Guess I got a demo car!! :eek:

-Phil

#488 ·
haha I think that means it has been welllll loved.

Maybe it's good it came with an extra tranny ;)

any advice on where to find those oils? Thanks for chiming in man. Can't wait to try to squeeze a few more out with fastworks!

#491 · (Edited)
Just installed the unit on my "S". Pretty straightforward (wish 1 or two S pics were there but no biggie).
1. I capped off the manifold (top of SC housing as directed with a nipple I had available. Is that correct?
2. Solenoid is tied off, left plugged in, but essentially inactive correct?
3. The reddish hose that goes down under (to exhaust I presume) is no longer attached, correct?? I thought that controlled the valve. I still notice a difference going from normal to sport mode so that had me going humm?

Just making sure I haven't played Capt. obvious again.

BTW car was AWESOME at the track even if the "S" bushings still allowed lower control arm contact. We'll just say that issue has been removed.....

Thanks in advance. Once I know all is well I'll gladly post a few pics where the NA and AS installs differ slightly. Swear it was already in this thread but after searching 10 pages I punted.
Will try out tomorrow.

This AM went back another 10 pages and found bibbly's install. ??? Question, if the red lines running to the exhaust are for vacuum, and we capped of the manifold line that used to run to the airbox, why couldn't we plug that red vacuum line into the manifold after removing the "Y"? Wouldn't that give us back the vacuum or is it not a constant vacuum and to do this we need a small vacuum container as I saw mentioned earlier. What would we gain or lose?

#492 ·
.....This AM went back another 10 pages and found bibbly's install. ??? Question, if the red lines running to the exhaust are for vacuum, and we capped of the manifold line that used to run to the airbox, why couldn't we plug that red vacuum line into the manifold after removing the "Y"? Wouldn't that give us back the vacuum or is it not a constant vacuum and to do this we need a small vacuum container as I saw mentioned earlier. What would we gain or lose?
It is not a contact vacuum, will also have boost.

#493 · (Edited)
John, your searching just got me to reread this thread from beginning to end. 25 pages and only humor is "osnap"

#494 · (Edited)
Making sure I get it. That inlet on manifold can have +/- pressure so no good for vacuum.

Interesting first ride. Start, stumbled out unto road ,cleared up but I knew it was learning so just drove mellow to work. Half way in got traction light but she felt fine. Stopped for donuts, mandatory on Sat AM, fired back up, all lights cleared, immediately felt better and feels great now, will have to put her thru the paces this PM so she learns I don't play nice! Nice to have some induction sounds back and that abortion of a stock intake is gone.. I love the directions when they say "DISCARD" Yup not going to bother keeping it for the next owner years from now., they want stock, go find it.

BTW sweet Tshirt!!!!!:UK::UK:

We need to come up with something that goes with the alphabet soup of BOECAI. That ought to induce some humor.

Seems like we have a "hose with no name' post install.

#496 ·
You're right--> Sat AM is usually balls to the wall on the empty roads but listening to the new CAI and making sure I don't have a screw loose , for example, was my priority today. I am correct about the "red hose"?? I was at Lime Rock on Thursday so I've dealt with my harsh, and needed a little mellow.

#498 ·
Hey that alt week schedule lets me ski 6 days straight every over week in winter for 65-75 days!! Any day I can work half the time and be just as productive works for me.

#499 · (Edited)
Meanwhile back at the CAI ranch, is it me or without that redhose to the exhaust, the exhaust is always in the "more quiet" mode. Either that or the increased intake sounds has inadvertantly reduced the perceived exhaust sounds. Its a nice clean install esp now that I trimmed off the excess intake hose material at the (scoop' pod, inlet). What are others' perceptions of the exhaust now?? The motor was so quiet before you could hear an increase in the depth of the sound when you pressed sport mode. Even though that valve is always open now, the exhaust, to me, somehow sounds quieter due to the increase on the intake side.

BTW I dug out a few quotable quotes from this thread

"Alan, Your hose is sticking in too far" (Is that a problem?)

"What is the question on the S muffler retaining valve? If you want the value always open just pull off the hose and plug its end". (OUCH)

Looks like the exhaust will happen sooner rather than later

#500 ·
Hey guys- Sorry, been absent lately. Busy rac'n and work'n on cars:eek::shift:

So the red hose can be attached to the same vac source that it use to be, but there is one little issue. The stock airbox doubles as the vac rezzy. So once it's removed, you'll lose the ability to accum vac which is required to keep the loud flap open when in sport mode.

Several ways around this obviously. When we dyno'd J's car, I didn't find a lick of hp variance when the loud flap was open vs closed... it did sound better though...

Amazing what a set of headers will do to the sound of this car. My cars sounds several shades of glorious at the moment:cool:

BRG- Glad to hear you're kick'n arse on the esses!

Phil

#504 ·
Got it from both directions. Valve is in "sport" mode now. But I guess I want more now! Miss the Larini on my 2010!! Need to get the hardware installed before the tune!! HINT!!!

#508 · (Edited)
VERY INTERESTING THIS AM. Plugged red hose into manifold and exhaust got quiet, unplugged it and it got SLIGHTLY louder. Guess it really is exhaust time!!
Anyone got a Plack hanging around. Need to experience this once for hahas. I know it would be a black flag special at the track however!

#509 ·
The difference in volume with the 2011 S exhaust isn't very much. It sounds okay at WOT on the track but still relatively quiet. I put a feeler out with Sector111 on getting the full Larini setup, not 100% sold about going that way but I'd like to get rid of the upper cats due to the heat they capture on track days.

#510 ·
An MY12 Evora S/Exige V6 exhaust -

The valve is needed to help pass the drive-by noise limits. It's default "open", but once the vacuum is applied it's closed below 4700rpm (unless sport is selected).
You need to restrict the power of the motor to help pass those tests, so the exhaust path through the top pipe in the image below is reduced from 2.5"dia (63.5mm) to 2.25" (54mm). Not the best feature for a supercharged V6 motor!
The gases are reversed through two x 1.5"dia (38mm) pipes and finally exiting through the perforated pipe and out.
The second half of the perforated pipe is shielded as you don't want the gases exiting too soon (too noisy!).

#512 ·
C&C? Plack is working on a version with a can!! I'm being patient.

#513 ·
I have to plack exhaust and am wondering if I will hear any of the BOE induction noise. Does anyone have both?

P.S - my guess is not

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.