The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

BOE Evora CAI

198K views 915 replies 124 participants last post by  jmardy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hints of better things to come for Evora and Evora S owners. BOE has produced me a great Cold Air Intake system for the Evora S and is modifing to the NA version of the car.

2.5% power and torque gains at 6450 rpm, gains start at 5600 and grow to Redline, no losses along curve, stable air flow ratios. System cuts weight out of tail and offers true cold air draw direct from body scope as per OEM and offers easier access and maintenance of filter element.

Quote from Phil at BOE:"Feeling very good about the car. It drives nice. Throttle response is very crisp and it's VERY eager to rev on tip in!"

Power plots
i) White curve - Komo-Tec Header, Komo-Tec 200 cell Cat, BOE Kold-fire custom tune
ii) Blue curve - (i) + BOE CAI

Attachments

See less See more
#117 ·
I called about 2 weeks ago. He said he was reluctant to give a specific date for the CAI production due to passing previous dates given. However, he felt that he may have them ready near the end of summer. The concern was with having enough supply to meet the demand. Very cool guy to talk to BTW.

#120 ·
Sorry but Radium is working great for me....BOE has talked hype before only to ...........................................................................................................................moths//years later. We are low priority and it shows. Brutal honesty at work here.

#122 · (Edited)
RAMTIN... I believe you tried to use a Radium designed (and tested) for a NA motoer on your SC'd car.... NOT FAIR FOR YOU TO COMPLAIN ABOUT INAPPROPRIATE APPLICATIONS.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I believe Radium did quite a bit of research if you read the website as I did before making my choice. I have always found their products to wurk as intended.

#124 ·
brgelise : That's not correct, You don't know the whole story. What I had on the car was not what you get with the Standard unit. Modifications were made to make it work with the S. Also the tune was changed to accommodate for the aftermarket intake. That unit has some serious design issues and radium knows about it. They just decided to keep it down low and not talk about it. They even made few changes for us to make it better but it was actually even worse. I'm not here to argue about the product. I think it's a pile of **** and that's why I took it off and i'll never put it back on.

#125 ·
I know enough to know on a stock NA with only an exhaust its working very well for me and most others. Your vehicle was so far past stock between headers, tunes etc...... that those "mods " to make it work were probably compromised at best. I also belive in california you are limited to 91 octane gas. Back here we have plenty of 93 octane. That makes a HUGE difference also.
I know folks with early TVS units on their Eliges that had MAJOR issues.... need I say more?

#126 ·
Brg-

You're out of line and frankly, you dont know what your talking about.

A) You're implying that im saying bad things about radium as company. I'm not and have not.

B) go back and read the first page of this thread. There's real data there with real explanation. Not conjecture based on yours or others opinion of how the car is running. The NA motors will be much more tollorant of mis-metered airflow than a FI motor. Reasons for this are obvious.

C) VSA and I have talked with them about this. They're aware of the issue.

D) Your comment about TVS and "MAJOR problems" is obviously circumstantial and or hyperbole. The only updates to those kits in 3+ years have been a couple bracket and bolt updates across hundreds of cars and who knows how many miles on street and track. Those kits impacted received new parts from us. Not to mention an entire forced induction kit is volumes more complex than a pipe with a filter on it. There's a lot of room for errors in installation and existing supporting parts on the car for a blower kit that can create "MAJOR problems".

E) You're stirring up a storm and for no good reason with only bad outcomes to come of it. There's more to this whole story that doesn't need to end up on a public forum. The data has been posted. Let people make their decisions accordingly.

F) There's not even a competing product out, as we have not released one. Those that take comfort in your poll and opinion will buy their kit. Those that take comfort in the data posted on page 1 probably won't. What do you care?

Phil

#127 ·
"D) Your comment about TVS and "MAJOR problems" is obviously circumstantial and or hyperbole. The only updates to those kits in 3+ years have been a couple bracket and bolt updates across hundreds of cars and who knows how many miles on street and track. Those kits impacted received new parts from us. Not to mention an entire forced induction kit is volumes more complex than a pipe with a filter on it. There's a lot of room for errors in installation and existing supporting parts on the car for a blower kit that can create "MAJOR problems"."

Phil, place (will leave name out)where I had work done on my Elise (now sold) had a TVS car in garage "with issues". Second car guy at track with TVS " Had issues". I seriously looked at them as they were much better at producing power than "MP62's. Peace... I was adamantly told to stay away from TVS system. BTW the guy is a MASTER Lotus tech, son is Hethel trained... they race,and win and have set track records at WGI with MP62 cars. They don't like the "SIZE" of the TVS referring to spool dia?? etc
They know these cars inside out and backwards! I've seen their comparative numbers when they tested each SC. In their hands and maybe class in which they race, MP62 works better.

I never directly said you said anything bad about Radium. Others have done that for you.
VSA=RAMTIN I believe

Yes your product is going to be designed for the "S" I believe. That is great.

No, I am not a technician, yes I have a lot of years experience with this kind of stuff.
I'm sure Julian's CAI is working great.

I'm not stirring up any storm, just supporting a company that built me a product that works for me. BTW, was I incorrect about West coast octane numbers? Maybe we should have separate threads about CAI for a "NA" motor and the "S" motor.

#130 ·
Let's not thread drift with TVS discussion. Positive displacement blowers don't "spool" in anyway shape or form. Anyone that says the blower is too big because it doesn't spool fast enough, Master Lotus Tech, son Colin Chapman, etc, doesn't matter as they discredited themselves by making such a statement that the blower lags or doesn't spool fast enough. That's a mechanical impossibility! If the car seems laggy, the the tune or some other hardware problem is responsible. Period. That same blower is running on street andr race applications all over the world. This has been beaten to death-- largely when the kits first came out YEARS AGO. Let's make this the final comment about it on this thread.

As for what you said. You made a post in another thread, http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2286050-post322.html , "You might want to refute some of the claims BOE has made against you folks Radium!". That is where line A) came from. I didn't even put their name in my data sheets in an effort to prevent those data sheets being promulgated about the internet in other forums with their name, etc. Now you see?

Julian's car and the other Evoras we've fitted the intake to are producing the "correct results".

We recently built one for VSA where they fitted it to another NA Evora. The actual data, not just dyno numbers, were "Correct". There was no mis-metering of airflow. That's the intent here--- a correctly running car with an ECU that's receiving "correct" airflow numbers. If the ECU is receiving "correct" data, then future mods, safety features, etc will all remain working as they should. Send the ECU incorrect data and who knows... That's the point and that's what all the fuss is about...

You are stirring things up. I'd ask that you not antagonize the situation. Glad you're happy with your product. Just stick with that. Trying to discredit me, make assumptions about one thing or the other isn't helpful, especially given how sensative this issue is...

Phil

#128 ·
I did not start this tread to bash any products nor to promote, I have no share holding in any Lotus aftermarket company, but rather to share modifications done to my own car. Let's not use as a bashing thread, buy want you want, use what you like.

Julian

#129 ·
Agreed.

#131 ·
Keep working Phil, you're promises are backing up.... No one ever said everyone's gonna like you. Yea, now I'm bein' an ******* and proud of it.

#133 ·
Play nice or I will ask for this thread to be locked as it is drifting from its intent.

#135 ·
been on these forums a lot longer than you RAM. I've seen all this sh!! before thus reasons for my sarcasm. If course you're a customer.....otherwise you'd be the owner, or employee.

#136 ·
lots of drama in this thread... none of which interests me in the slightest.

I do have one question... has BOE made any public announcements on when they will have a product for sale?

(I know I could call them and ask, but if they are busy making something I want to buy I'd prefer to hear from you LT members, and let them keep working on the product I want. :D )

#137 ·
Hey Jay,

I do have an update. It's not secret a few of these are out there on NA and SC cars. The problem has been the work to manufacture- particularly so for the NA cars. So a few weeks back we did the CAD for the part we've been fabricating and we contracted to have a molded part made. We recd an update that we're 30 days out from the delivery of the molded part batch. So, yes an update. And yes, the part will be even nicer than what we have been doing with a nice silicone molding just for the evora:up:

Cheers,

Phil

#140 ·
Both:up:

#141 ·
A custom intake bend is a welcome addition. While the OEM rubber tube does have enough flex to accommodate the additional bending it is slightly strained.

#144 ·
Good news. Parts are in. Short of the instructions, we're nearly ready to go on these.

Rhoyle, drop me a line and maybe we can hook up soon to get those instructions knocked out :up:

phil@boe............com

Thanks,

Phil

#145 ·
Guys, nothing but Great out of this intake, P1 is running strong and loving it every day

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.