Bubbling Door Sill - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Bubbling Door Sill

The leather on my Evora seems to have separated from the sill, and I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

My Evora has only seen drops of rain up until last week, when the skies opened up. Two days ago, I parked the car outside a friends place in the rain. I never noticed any wetness or leaks when I got in and out, although I did turn the A/C on (after many months of it being OFF) to reduce the humidity in the car.

The other problem is that the sill is now bulging near the fat part. I never noticed if it's normally completely flat, but right now, there is a distinct bulge as I run my hand from the back towards the front of the car.

I read the Service Bulletin 2009/15, regarding wetness in the door sill trim, but it didn't seem to match what I've got.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Last edited by cdn_alien; 01-28-2013 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo
cdn_alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

I hope it's still under warranty !!!
ramtin1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Mine did exactly the same thing. It was on the lot in November in the rain when I bought it and they looked just lke yours. I added it to my "to-fix" list for the dealer. I took the car home and garaged it. By the time we were back to the dealer it all looked fine again. The dealer would then do nothing! I know I have delamination in there but as long as I'm garaged and dry it looks fine. I'm not happy about it but really don't think I can do much unless I leave it out in the rain and then work the delaer again. Also, I always use the A/C and many here have said the same. They are pretty water tight but not completely.

Oh, and just for added protection I used Mink Oil on both sills and the leather in the footwells. I think this may help a bit to repel additional water somewhat.
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i

Last edited by Lckitty; 01-29-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: mo thots
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1000 View Post
I hope it's still under warranty !!!
It is. I plan to take it in to the dealer shortly.

Once it dries out, I figured it might shrink and settle down again. But, what I'm not sure of is whether the sill is supposed to be dead flat for those of you without this problem. I thought I'd use that argument against them in case they say that it'll go away by itself.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_alien View Post
It is. I plan to take it in to the dealer shortly.

Once it dries out, I figured it might shrink and settle down again. But, what I'm not sure of is whether the sill is supposed to be dead flat for those of you without this problem. I thought I'd use that argument against them in case they say that it'll go away by itself.
I've found Scottsdale Lotus's service department (Russell Bastian) and Lotus to be really good when it comes to warranty replacement. I'd had the door grip, and dash replaced under warranty and they could have claimed normal wear since my car had 10,000 miles when I bought it (and not to mention a new a/c compressor). I don't think you'll have a problem - especially with the rain we had last week.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

when your leather door sill gets wet. Caused by water ingress through the door or just from the high humidity during rainy season. You may have observed water droplets on the door sill when the car has been in rain. As leather absorbs moisture it'll losing it's taut form, resulting in the bubbling your seeing. It'll return to it's taut state once it's fully dry. Happens to me every now and then but always goes away. Keep in mind I've had the sill replaced the first time, but it'll happen again to any new piece.. The real fix is ensuring moisture stays out of the cabin. If ingress isn't a problem then you might want to leave a couple Damp-Rid containers in the car for the season. They are very effective inside cabins and trunks.

One of the great features of the Evora is it's ability to heal itself.. Okay that may be a stretch../bad joke
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

The padding puffed up with moisture. Comes off real easy. Just take inside to dry and check weatherstripping to see if a corner, etc id curled so it doesn't happen again. I did this to my truck last summer . Washed truck real good, wiped all door sills, frames etc down, rolled corner. left to go home, Came back 2 weeks later after some rain and had a wet floor. When i felt the wet floor I looked for a cause and it took 10 seconds to fix. DOOH!
11 BMW Xdrive35d, Vermillion Red w/Cinnamon Brown Leather
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

At my car it is the dashboard. Stupid Lotus will send a new dashboard, I suggested to my dealer that they give me the money and we ask the dealer's saddler to retrim it (in Suedetex).
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

See the thread right above this on dashes...similar problem and not water related in that location...when my car is out in the sun the leather lies flat...when it is cold in the garage it bubbles up just like your picture..and yes,it has already been replaced once...at least they will replace it...just wish they would correct the build quality with the new parts...sigh
1986 Lamborghini Jalpa
2008 Mazda Miata PRHT
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
powderkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora