Built NA, Turbo, supercharged or just leave it? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Evora power.... What would you do?
Just leave it - It has enough bhp 14 26.42%
Built NA 380-400 bhp 8 15.09%
Turbo 8 15.09%
Supercharged 7 13.21%
Buy an Evora S - Leave it 10 18.87%
Buy an Evora S - Mod it 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

Built NA, Turbo, supercharged or just leave it?

I have been looking at upgrading an NA Evora. The purist in me would stay NA and keep the weight down, less heat issues, simplistic, etc. What are your thoughts? Assuming that roughly all the 3 major upgraded routes would be roughly the same cost.

Last edited by masitr; 11-23-2012 at 07:46 AM.
masitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

of course it depends on what you use it for. I like superchargers for low end torque. Some people like big turbos, for big numbers. Some people want maintenance free, and that suggests leaving it alone. So, rather than basing your opinion on what others want, what is it that you want?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
alp
likes to rent cars.

My choice will be NA. That's what I will go for.
alp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

The NA car has plenty of power for what it was designed to do.

But if you intend to race the car, turbo charge will give you the highest HP gains. And assuming you implement a proper cooling solution, HPs win races, not torque. Evoras have only adequate straight acceleration compared to more powerful, heavier cars and that's why they will always fall behind in their stock form.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I plan on using the car for street and track use. The car is underpowered compared to its competitors. I personally don't want the additional weight of a Turbo or SC. Torque does help win races, but only if you can use it. I think 380-400 NA would put the car right where is should be, in Carrera S territory.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
The NA car has plenty of power for what it was designed to do.

But if you intend to race the car, turbo charge will give you the highest HP gains. And assuming you implement a proper cooling solution, HPs win races, not torque. Evoras have only adequate straight acceleration compared to more powerful, heavier cars and that's why they will always fall behind in their stock form.
Horsepower is Torque times RPM. That is why the HP continues to go UP with increasing RPM, while the Torque falls off. Peak HP is far less effective on the track than increased Torque across the RPM range. I changed the Cams in my Cosworth BDD engine (1600cc, in a 980 pound Sports Racer), and while my Peak HP went DOWN to 218HP from 240 HP, my Torque across the RPM range was INCREASED, and my lap times were 4-5 seconds FASTER.

Last edited by Bobsy Racer; 11-24-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Bobsy Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Are there any turbo options? I think there's only one supercharge option by PB Racing at the moment. And, the n/a options that are currently available may not get you 380 to 400hp.

I guess what I'm saying is, you need to look at the options currently available before you decide. I think the early adopter you want to look at is Ramtin uses using a supercharged option with upgraded headers and custom tune.
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Are there any turbo options? I think there's only one supercharge option by PB Racing at the moment. And, the n/a options that are currently available may not get you 380 to 400hp.

I guess what I'm saying is, you need to look at the options currently available before you decide. I think the early adopter you want to look at is Ramtin uses using a supercharged option with upgraded headers and custom tune.
I am looking at this as a hypothetical since the current options are limited. What would your ideal Evora configuration be using the current 2GR-FE engine.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Buy a second hand GTE if you can find one

Or get Cosworth to build you one i think its more a question of how much do you want to spend
trevleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Once you start tuning the engine You will notice that the weak spot is the gearbox. Take an Evora S and tune it within the possibilities.
tbd_Evora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

The cosworth option I think isn't feasible-the alms car is a hugely reworked 4.0 from what ajr told us and I think I've read it costs north of 50k.

Supercharge or turbo you'll have to take a leap and expect teething issues. All of the options would be custom.

NA is appealing but with reliability in mind you will rapidly reach the limits below 400 crank imho
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

i have been out testing the latest EV390 ECU flash today nice day cold air max performance. i flashed the ECU with new version last weekend on my car, and had been running the old one for over a year 6000mls only problem was dead 02 Sensor
I think you are right Evora S with this tune and exhaust is enough for this car i have found in any case as a road car its perfect.
The new one that i received from Komotec last week is better than the the original EV390 that i was running it seems to rev higher its smoother low down more torque nice.
it would be nice to buy another one older car as a project Fit GTN kit from lotus complete. N/A engine rebuild with best performance parts available. as this would be still an affordable option N/A cars 2009 can be bought for a very reasonable price indeed here in France.
trevleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
Horsepower is Torque times RPM. That is why the HP continues to go UP with increasing RPM, while the Torque falls off. Peak HP is far less effective on the track than increased Torque across the RPM range. I changed the Cams in my Cosworth BDD engine (1600cc), and while my Peak HP went DOWN to 218HP from 240 HP, my Torque across the RPM range was INCREASED, and my lap times were 4-5 seconds FASTER.
This
Therefore Supercharger. Talk to VSA Motorsport about their work with Ramtin's upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
plastique999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

I voted based on the options supplied... if I knew how to build an NA/380 bhp that's definitely what I would do (as long as it didn't cost more than 20-30% more than the same power with boost)... Question is how do you plan to do that?
2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo II >> UltraDiscs, SS brake lines, BOE tow bar, APR splitter, Antigravity XPS-SC1, BOE QT exhaust, BWR SS swaybar, charlie-x tune, Fujita F5 CAI, Nitron S/A Med, 8 sqft AutoX Wing (decklid mounted), AC Delete, BOE motor mounts, MWR underdrive pulleys, PPE Header, BOE TOC wet sump, v2 Arms. ~1850lbs/~205bhp N/A ~1.45 Lat G

http://www.the111shift.com/
fsparv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

350 should be achievable with a relatively mild build, supporting mods and a proper tune. With the design of the engine increasing the HP and still keeping it as streetable as possible will drive the cost up dramatically.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Considering how many Toyota models use the 2GR-FE's, it does not look good for us as one would think there would be more power options out there. The engine has been around since 2005 and according to Wiki its been in 21 different Toyota models not counting our Evora. Only one very limited production Toyota model received the 2GR-FZE (2007 TRD Aurion, the Evora S setup), which means Toyota probably decided that it would not be feasible to provide a model with this engine in larger production numbers. This decision may have been based on potential warranty claims, cost of production etc. The SC was also built by a Austrian Tuner who for some unknown reason does not sell the SC for the engine (Maybe per contract with TRD). TRD also does not sell the SC for this engine. The SC upgrade kit is available through Lotus Sport in the US though as an off road use limited warranty kit. Also there has been very few news of a running Turbo 2GR-FE. The only one that I can find was a Camry who has been working on the project for over a year and still has trouble getting it to run correctly. There was some chat about a monster 2GR-FE sometime ago but it sounded more like a very expensive custom built engine for off road racing. Lastly, the N/A Cosworth built setup is in the 100K range, not 50K. The Racing Evora is also very different from the road going car so it's characteristics may not be favorable in a road going car.

So what am I really getting at is that if this was an easy engine to work on, we would already have lots of options. If you want power beyond a S, its going to take pioneers willing to sacrifice several 2GR-FE before we will get a good cost effective and reliable solution. I think for now, the best option would be to get the SC kit from Lotus Sport with the ECU, Clutch and flywheel for those running an N/A. It's a very expensive SC kit. If you are running an Evora S, I would just keep it stock. Toyota probably did their homework and passed the info to Lotus on what the possible failure rates are for the setup.
abechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Are there any ECU tunes (software or 'box') available for the Evora IPS NA? Something that could get it to over 300 from the 275 that it is?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found Kold-Fire. Curious to know if this ECU tuning would void the warranty? Or this depends on the dealer (mod-friendly)
and not Lotus....?

Last edited by Lotustwn; 11-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Lotustwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

The Komo-Tec / Koldfire EVO Stage 1 kits for N/A ans S are currently the best bet. It will bring you to 300 HP on the NA and 390 HP on the S, mostly due to the custom headers, but supplemented by the ECU-Tune, which makes maximum use of them.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd_Evora View Post
The Komo-Tec / Koldfire EVO Stage 1 kits for N/A ans S are currently the best bet. It will bring you to 300 HP on the NA and 390 HP on the S, mostly due to the custom headers, but supplemented by the ECU-Tune, which makes maximum use of them.
What about the IPS? Would that make a difference, a different tune or the exact same for N/A?
Lotustwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Best to check with them directly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora