The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Buying an Evora, but live far from a dealership

3K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Notorious L.R.G. 
#1 ·
I’ve lurking on the boards for some time to understand more about daily ownership of the Evora. What I’ve discovered is the Evora (or any Lotus for that matter) can be quirky / unpredictable at times and require dealer service (adjust the shift cables, etc.). What concerns me is I live about 100 miles (1.5 hour drive) from the nearest Lotus dealership (Lotus of Cleveland or Lotus of Detroit), so hopping over to the dealer isn’t an option. How have others dealt with this situation?

#2 ·
I don't have an Evora but have owned Elise and Exige..same issue for any Lotus.

For warranty work, you have no options. You have to go to the dealer. You cannot even get a part under warranty and have another, non-Lotus mechanic install it. You can buy the part, have another mechanic install it at your cost, but the work and part will not be warrantied by Lotus.

Your option for work on your car is to find a competent local mechanic who can do the work. All at your cost, not Lotus'.

That said, if you have two dealers within 100 miles, to the extent you want to deal with dealers, count yourself lucky.

#3 ·
Most of us are in the same boat. Many have it even worse as their dealer is even farther away.

The dealer I ordered my car from and use for service is also about 1.5 hours away. (There is one considerably closer but based on reputation, I do not go there. That dealer is 20 minutes away.) I try to plan all my service at the same time. I usually spend a full day there getting everything sorted at once. Your best bet is to plan for as much at the same time as possible. I'm lucky that my car is not my DD, so if there is an issue I can park it.

For the unexpected breakdown (I am knocking on wood) I upgraded to AAA Premier. They will tow up to 200 miles for free. I had it anyway for my wife's car so it was only $40 or so to upgrade.

Of course you can source a reputable local mechanic. (I'm sure others near you can recommend someone.) but since my car is still on warranty, it solely goes to the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Most dealers , if you discuss prior to purchase will be very good with loaners etc. Don't go in for every niggle, save a bunch of little things that need to get sorted out and do at one visit. Both of those dealers have moved a fair amt of cars so they should have a clue. I'm in same boat now as my 10 minute away dealer punted (thank SAAB you loser car) after 25+years.

#5 · (Edited)
+1. Lotus of Greenville an hour away. Loaned us an Evora demo overnight, met me halfway the next morning.

#6 ·
Wouldn't do it. Honestly, that's the reason why I have never seriously looked at a GT-R, no Nissan HPC close-by, next c. 100 miles away but a Lotus dealership is 30 miles only, which is manageable.

#7 ·
dealer not close

What concerns me is I live about 100 miles (1.5 hour drive) from the nearest Lotus dealership (Lotus of Cleveland or Lotus of Detroit), so hopping over to the dealer isn’t an option. How have others dealt with this situation?
I'm an hour from Cleveland. Fortunately after six years in an Elise and the Evora since last June, I've never had a serious issue. They readily provide loaner cars if you cannot wait for service, or will pick up if needed. I would not be too concerned. I enjoy doing routine maintenance, so trips to the dealer are for tire mounting/balancing, coolant flush, and minor issues that show up. Much of the time there are fixes posted here.

#9 ·
+1. I'm 4 hours away from my dealer. I do what brg suggested...save up a bunch of problems to deal with at once. My dealer's been extremely helpful. Last year, they picked up and returned my car via closed carrier when they had it for 2 weeks for warranty work.

BTW, I just got the recall notice last week for the oil line replacement. :tadts:

#10 ·
I am 310 miles from my dealer with other choices at 150 and 220 miles which I passed up for reputation. Likewise I plan out my service and issues but also have the luxury that the Evora is not my DD or back up car. While I have driven my car to service and done fly backs. The dealer has also twice picked up and returned the car in covered carrier as a courtesy.

#12 ·
My dealer is about a hour away and really has not been a problem. have had some minor warranty work done. Usually they offer to pick up and drop off if they have a truck coming my way. The dealer delivers cars all over the midwest, so if they have space on the trailer they will pick up for free or little cost to me.
I do my own oil changes and such so have little use for the dealer except for warranty work, which I have only had some very minor problems.

#13 ·
went from a 15 minute drive to a 1.5 hour drive to my nearest dealer..while not quite as convenient, it is still fine.

As mentioned, just save the minor niggles for when you bring it in for a major warranty service, and be reasonable with your dealer. I take mine to Lotus of Orlando (not my purchase dealer due to a move) and they have been awesome. I try to be as thoughtful for them as possible to make it an easier transaction, but it is quite possible.

Take care of the car, and your chances of it stranding you are quite slim.

#14 ·
Thanks all for the input. For stories about the dealer going above and beyond to drop the car off using covered transport after service, I'm guessing you also bought your car from that dealer thus you have an existing relationship. In other words, if I bought a used Evora form a private owner tbe dealer wouldn't be so willing to go the extra mile (no pun intented) for someone who didn't purchase from that dealership. This actually brings up a good point of an added benefit of purchasing from a dealer VS private seller.

#15 ·
My nearest dealer is 3 hours away, but I did not buy my Evora there. Nonetheless, they transported my car by enclosed trailer for work covered by the warranty. Ask lots of questions. Contact the nearest Lotus club and ask where they take their cars... Some dealers are very good.

#16 ·
I guess the big question is, how many have had a major issue that required getting to the dealer ASAP or required the car to be towed.

#17 ·
Very fair paint, my Elise let me down very rarely (water cooler...) and the Evora never. All work done was guarantee stuff but rather cosmetic. :UK:

#18 ·
I daily drive mine - I have had no issues that have made me stop driving it or kept me from being the one to deliver it to my dealership down in Plano Texas.

Btw - I am fully behind Plano as a dealership - they have been great about everything in regards to warranty work.

#22 ·
I am 5 minutes from Lotus of Cleveland, they service vehicles from Indy, Buffalo, Columbus, Sandusky.. are just a few of the cities I know they serviced Evora's from. I did there Lotus cruise last year and am on their lotus mailing list. Plus when I go over to Porsche to borrow their PIWIS computer, I talk to Ben their Tech. Unfortunately they don't give a Lotus loaner out, it is usually a Panamera, Cayenne, Or Mercedes... but they did give an Evora S and Evora to the Lotus Club for a week, we had fun in the parkway with them!

#23 ·
Basically you can't go wrong with them! They want your business and future business. I got a car from them, and would never consider anyone else, actually... seeing that they are buying so many franchises up... they should have a franchise of every manufacturer soon. They have a McLaren MP4 12c next to an Evora which you can see from the road between all the Aston's and Maserati's ... :(

Also... I know they want to get ridd of some cars, as the bldg is going to be tore down and rebuilt in the next few months...SSSSSHHHHHHHHHH! you didn't hear that from me!

#24 ·
The things that go wrong on a Lotus tend to be minor inconveniences, such as door locks, leather trim, etc.

I have had 5 Lotuses and have never had to have one towed for mechanical reasons, and always lived about 90 minutes from the dealer.

In fact this thread reminds me that it will be cheaper to BUY the parts from the dealer than to drive up and lose a day of work! (I have a broken plastic interior door handle.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.