Clicking sound from rear wheels - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Clicking sound from rear wheels

In the past week, I have noticed an unusual sound coming from my rear wheels.

At first I thought maybe the noise was due to something I ran over and got lodged in my tire. Nope.

I didn't hear it until I am driving around in a parking garage, since it is at a lower speed, no wind, and the sounds are bouncing off the walls back into the car. The click sound emanated from both wheels, not all the time. It is erratic and most noticeable at really low speeds. I will try to have my buddy take a video of it. I asked him to walk along the car and he confirmed the sound was not coming from my head

We took a flashlight and inspected everywhere on the tire, brakes, behind the wheels. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Dont' know what it is! I even went as far as checking the lug nuts with a torque wrench to ensure they are properly tightened (I had a tire repaired about a a month and a half ago).

I will be taking the car in next week to complete some work, and will be adding this to their work list...

BTW, just to clarify, there is no noticeable impact on the the car's performance. It drives perfectly fine.

Any ideas?
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hub, bearing or differential... how many miles on the car? Do you drive it aggressivly off the line? This happened in my s2000 and corvette from too many hard launches.
05' Lotus Elise Touring/Sport, HT, BWR Supercharger, Turn Signals + Fins delete, 2bular Exhaust, Difflow 5 Diffuser, Nitron Quick Ratio Steering Rack, Sector111 Shifter Reinforcer + Stans DIY, BWR Sway Bar, Moroso oil pan, Twin Coolers, 55w 6k DDM HID's, Rota Torques/R888's, Exige Scoops, Exige Mesh Grills, ReVerie Front Lip, LED Angel Eyes, Braille, S111 Mirror, SS Brake Lines, Custom Stereo
Michael Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
In the past week, I have noticed an unusual sound coming from my rear wheels....

Any ideas?
How about part of the TPMS bouncing around inside a tire? Or...I found an extra valve stem inside a tire once after the service guy was too lazy to go chase the one he lost.

Glen
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
How about part of the TPMS bouncing around inside a tire? Or...I found an extra valve stem inside a tire once after the service guy was too lazy to go chase the one he lost.

Glen
interesting possibility, but I don't think that was it.

Because 1, the TPMS still works for both tires. I would assume if it was somehow disconnected and bouncing around at high speeds, it would have failed at some point.

And 2, what is the likelihood a TPMS sensors would just fall off. And the likelihood that BOTH would fall off? Not likely.

And 3, the sound was a pretty loud clicking metallic sound, as if something hard was hitting against a spoke. A loose TPMS unit would sort of roll around at low speed against the bottom of the tire, which is rubber not metal. I mean it's still possible, if the car rolls fast enough to where it would sit against the tire high enough to drop onto the wheel itself, but that would require higher speeds. We heard the rate of the clicking sound slow down as the car slowed down. I slowed down to literally a snails crawl (like 1/8th of a MPH), and heard the click.. and it sometimes came from the right wheel, and then sometimes from the left wheel.

very weird...
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

How fast is the click? 1 click per revolution or more?
Harix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I really don't know because I don't know how much the tire rotates from inside the car, (other than looking at the tach, doesn't give you that level of detail

It would click once or twice even though I've only moved a really slowly, like couple of feet. And the clicking would sound like a steady 2 clicks per second when I'm going like 8-10mph in a parking lot (and that's definitely several rotations per click).

So I don't think it was sound was caused by something directly connected to the wheel or axle...

Do you think it there might be something going on with the differential?

Also it seemed to be more likely to exhibit the behavior if the road is slightly bumpy. Seems like something is loose somewhere.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Tire rotate approx 5ft per rotation. So if you go slower the clicks slower? Therefore, must be related to the wheels/axle/diff/brakes pads/rotors/calipers/shield/bearings. Least likely the clutch or engine, because that relates to the engine rpm.

If you're in my area, come over. Let's lift up the wheels and drive on the air. If no load clicks gone, then could be the bearing.
Harix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Are the wheel center caps (Lotus insignia) secure? Although I have not had a problem with the Evora, the caps on other wheels/cars I've had have occasionally worked loose to the point where they will "click" as the tire rolls. These caps are captive in the wheel, so they will not fall off, but they can make noise if loose.
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
JLSELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSELISE View Post
These caps are captive in the wheel, so they will not fall off, but they can make noise if loose.
They fall off. Almost every Evora taken to track has lost the centre caps. They simply melt away...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had a click on passenger rear wheel. I always thought it was the wheel hub moving a millionth of a millimeter before moving the wheel itself. As if the lugs were not properly torqued. After replacing the tires(unreleated) I havnt heard it since.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

thanks for the ideas, guys.. I will investigate further.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

OK well, I took a video of the clicking noise.. I'm getting my dealership to fix the issue.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

If the shafts which run from the transmission to the wheels has CV joints then I vote for CV joints. Sounds much like my CV joints which failed on another (non Lotus) car.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

well whatever it was, it's fixed.. I'm picking my car up tomorrow. I'll try to find out what they did.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Take the playing cards out from your spokes.
tko211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
well whatever it was, it's fixed.. I'm picking my car up tomorrow. I'll try to find out what they did.
Hey Squid, we're on the edge of our seats here...
West-of-Hethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Hey Squid, we're on the edge of our seats here...
Sorry. I forget to get back to this thread on the outcome.

Other half says she can't hear it on her side any longer. So it's an improvement but we still hear it on my side.

Service advisor said the technician removed the wheels and cleaned the debris around the wheel. Not exactly a precise answer.

I'll take it back when it becomes more obvious. Right now I'm just happy to have my car back It's been an excruciating week. Yeah, you can say I'm pedal-whipped.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Okay, the clicking is getting worse and worse with each passing week.

I don't think I've shared these videos with you guys, but the first one is the one I sent to my dealership and they've passed it onto Lotus, back in February.

The second one I took just this Monday, which I just uploaded a few minutes ago.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
alp
likes to rent cars.

The clicking sounds a bit crisp. So I doubt it's the wheel bearings (when bad has rolling marbles grinding noise). CV joint perhaps? Would require you to remove the diffuser to inspect though.
alp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
Parking Brake shoes or hardware...
1955 Porsche 550 rep
The Truck
USGPRU27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora