Day 1 as Evora Owner - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Day 1 as Evora Owner

Hello all.

Big exciting day yesterday as I drove off the lot in my first Lotus. I purchased a new 2011 that was used as a show car by the dealership.

Out of the hours of fun, I did have a few moments of misery/embarrassment that I would assume could be best appreciated by everyone here.

After leaving the dealership and sitting in traffic (with a big smile on my face) for about an hour, I picked up the girlfriend and headed out for another hour to meet up with her family for dinner. They had no idea that I bought the car, so I was pretty excited to show them. I was running late, so she met me in the driveway. I didn't even unbuckle my seat belt, she just hopped in and off we went. We finally got to the restaurant and at the end of the meal everyone was excited to head out to the parking lot and see the car. They loved it, of course. Part of the group finally left, but my girlfriend's brother-in-law insisted that he would need to hear me start it before he could go.

I realized that I had never actually started the car before. When I test drove, the car was already started and the salesperson drove off the lot, same thing the next day when I actually came back for the purchase. I jumped in, pushed in the clutch, turned the key, and as you all probably know, nothing happened. I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I tried again, checked that the brake was on, tried again, took my foot off the clutch, tried again, all combinations of brake, clutch, hand brake, door opened, door closed. I finally decided that the battery must be dead. I knew it had sat in the showroom for some time. So, out come the jumper cables and I start disassembling the battery compartment. Obviously nothing helps.

I finally remember that the sales rep had given me her card and put her cell number on the back. I call her and have to admit that I feel like a moron, but I don't know how to start my own car. She laughs, and then apologizes for not telling me about the extra security step. I finally get it started and pull out of the parking spot.

My embarrassment at being "that guy that buys a fancy car and doesn't even know how to start it" starts fading and being replaced by the idea that I own a car that I have never actually seen on the road before. I am about to pull out of the parking lot, and a Lotus Evora goes by. The driver, (hello if you are reading) honks and waves. I look at my girlfriend, who is very mad at me because I snapped at her when she was asking me questions like "Are you sure you put the clutch in all the way," couldn't help but laugh.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the ranks and getting to know you all.

A pic of the car:
jet37ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the club!

Great story too. It has probably happened to all of us at least once who don't use ours as a daily driver. I know I've turned the key and wondered for a split second what was wrong.

Those stripes look very interesting. Is that a reverse stripe on the roof? Looks great. Any other pics?
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

Congrats!

Looks like the Galpin car.

qu1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
KCZ

I didn't have trouble starting the car, but the first time I stopped at a gas station to fill the tank, I set the car alarm off and it took forever (or so it seemed) to turn it off. That got a lot of unwelcome attention.
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
I do plan to use it as a daily driver, so hopefully it won't happen again

Good catch. It is in fact the Galpin car. They actually gave me a copy of the calender they did. They got rid of that wing because I guess it's not road legal. I was told I it's mine if I want it, and I do! If nothing else it will look awesome on the wall in the garage!

The top is a reverse stripe. Well, actually it's entirely covered except for the center section that mimics the stripe. I did post up some other pics in the picture thread. I would put some others up here, but I'm at home now and all the pictures are on the office computer.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice ride! Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
khearon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow. I had exactly the same experience when I rented a Ferrari for the day. I picked it up while it was running and showed it to lots of people.

The first time I turned off the car I couldn't get it started again. I had thought that it was some sort of mechanical problem.

You are in great company. Congrats on the Evora and thanks for posting such a cute story.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

The new car "how do I do that" blues stories are as old as cars themselves. A buddy of mine picked up a classic 50's car and ran out of gas on a date; he couldn't find the gas cap hidden behind the right rear turn signal. My GF almost ran out of gas on her miata, couldn't find the gas cap door release (which is inside the glove box in the center console). A local gal had a 60's VW bug which was running hot during the summer. She couldn't find where to add water to the radiator (the old bugs were air cooled, no radiator). She ended up filling her engine full of water via the place you add oil. (It didn't go well after that). I am almost certain, that out there somewhere, is someone who looked for the jack and the spare on an Elise/Exige with a flat tire. Be sure to spend some quality time with the manual. Pay close attention to the procedures to add water (and other fluids) to your car.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Congrats! And we've all been there. Tons of fun isn't it. I got my new MY11 demo car a month ago. Heaven! So far I'm driving 4 days per week. Any excuse to go to the store
and I'm off. Gorgeous car, you might need a big silver bow on top for the holidays ;-)
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

That ignition lock timeout is hilarious isn't it.
I always thought that it was coming from some strange US-law, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Nonetheless, I'm sure Lotus took it from some other carmaker, after all the Evora is a collection of parts used in other cars. Maybe someone can point us to the right source.

It does have its advantages though. My wife always wanted to drive the car and at one opportunity she took over the driver seat while I was in the station paying that gas bill. Well she couldn't get the car started. Of course I didn't tell her about its little secrets.
tbd_Evora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

I have circuit breakers in my Esprit's & Excel's boot and use it whenever I store the cars for a few weeks. Dunno how many times I used four-letter-words, just because that */&% battery ran flat again...

'88 Excel SE - monaco white | '87 TurboEsprit S4-Emme-Edition - calypso red | '10 Evora - starlight black
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4...debannerne.jpg
jimmybondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Welcome - the car is a blast. It is my daily driver and has been for 19k miles and counting (2 track days as well - and I highly recommend it).

Lots of things to read up on the Evora here - looking forward to more fun stories as well.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
From a titling records/Carfax records perspective, is there any difference in demo cars vs regular new cars?
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitrdude View Post
From a titling records/Carfax records perspective, is there any difference in demo cars vs regular new cars?
It was never registered with the DMV, so I don't think so.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncitrdude View Post
No difference. I tried to do a Carfax on my Evora before I bought it and found nothing. The sales person told me it's never been registered so I'd be the first person on the title and the car.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
OK. I thought Carfax records usually show the odometer reading when a car is titled? I.e., for a demo car, even though you could see that a buyer was the first owner, it would be noted on the Carfax report that they titled it with 1,534 miles (or whatever the actual mileage was) on the odometer.
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet37ski View Post
Hello all.

Big exciting day yesterday as I drove off the lot in my first Lotus. I purchased a new 2011 that was used as a show car by the dealership.

Out of the hours of fun, I did have a few moments of misery/embarrassment that I would assume could be best appreciated by everyone here.

After leaving the dealership and sitting in traffic (with a big smile on my face) for about an hour, I picked up the girlfriend and headed out for another hour to meet up with her family for dinner. They had no idea that I bought the car, so I was pretty excited to show them. I was running late, so she met me in the driveway. I didn't even unbuckle my seat belt, she just hopped in and off we went. We finally got to the restaurant and at the end of the meal everyone was excited to head out to the parking lot and see the car. They loved it, of course. Part of the group finally left, but my girlfriend's brother-in-law insisted that he would need to hear me start it before he could go.

I realized that I had never actually started the car before. When I test drove, the car was already started and the salesperson drove off the lot, same thing the next day when I actually came back for the purchase. I jumped in, pushed in the clutch, turned the key, and as you all probably know, nothing happened. I had no idea what I was doing wrong. I tried again, checked that the brake was on, tried again, took my foot off the clutch, tried again, all combinations of brake, clutch, hand brake, door opened, door closed. I finally decided that the battery must be dead. I knew it had sat in the showroom for some time. So, out come the jumper cables and I start disassembling the battery compartment. Obviously nothing helps.

I finally remember that the sales rep had given me her card and put her cell number on the back. I call her and have to admit that I feel like a moron, but I don't know how to start my own car. She laughs, and then apologizes for not telling me about the extra security step. I finally get it started and pull out of the parking spot.

My embarrassment at being "that guy that buys a fancy car and doesn't even know how to start it" starts fading and being replaced by the idea that I own a car that I have never actually seen on the road before. I am about to pull out of the parking lot, and a Lotus Evora goes by. The driver, (hello if you are reading) honks and waves. I look at my girlfriend, who is very mad at me because I snapped at her when she was asking me questions like "Are you sure you put the clutch in all the way," couldn't help but laugh.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining the ranks and getting to know you all.

A pic of the car:
I have seen that Evora many times at Galpin, over the last few months. The interior is cool as well. Welcome to the club. Do you live in the valley? If you are going to service your car at Galpin, Carlos is a good service writer. I also like Steve, he is a good mechanic.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Just north of the Ventura County line. Turns out to be pretty useful when it comes to paying tax on these cars
Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 AM   #19 (permalink)

When I bought my Elise in Denver a few years ago, I had it checked over at the local Lotus dealer, flew out to complete the transaction and visually looked the car over while it was on a lift. I didn't drive it myself because I literally had 2 hours in Denver to do the deal. The car got put on an enclosed transport truck and met me in Michigan 3 days later.

It is gently lowered off the truck, the driver gets it off the lift, we settle up and off he goes with his other cars, leaving my car on the street in front of my house. My wife and two teenager boys crowd around while I get into it and twist the key. And twist again. Then I think, security lock and press a random collection of buttons on the keyfob.

My wife, remembering my motley collection over the years of hopeless Alfa's, Porsches and whatnot tries not to laugh. The boys are crestfallen. Then I remember the effing starter button.

Congrats on the Evora, it's a gorgeous car.
andy7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Cognrats, all these quirks are normal, and rest assured you will discover more embarassing ones as time goes on. Perks of owning an oddball car

Mind showing pics of the interior?
invictusmaneo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora