Engine Wiring Harness Q - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Engine Wiring Harness Q

I just picked up a 2014 NA 10.5k miles that had it's engine harness replaced under warranty about a year ago. Now that *that had been done*, should I expect to be rid of this potential problem?

IOW - has anyone had issues that needed the harness to be replaced more than once?

Thx.

Jim B.

2014 Aspen White Metallic Evora 6-speed
2005 AR, Touring, HT, ITG Intake (Please buy me!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 PM

Yes, mine was replaced, but I had issues still. Both stalling and limp mode. However this year I started cleaning the MAF sensor once a month to see if they would help based on what some people suggested on this forum. So far its been almost 2 months and I have not had any stalling or limp mode issues, nor has the car thrown any codes. To compare last year before putting the car away I would average a stall or limp mode at least once a week. Some people even claim just disconnecting and reconnecting the MAF cable connector occasionally helps prevent this.

The problem has something to do with the MAF and transmission sharing some wiring. This is what the dealer told me. So its possible for the MAF the have a fluctuation in resistance which can trigger the transmission to go into limp mode. This same issue can also possibly be what causes the stalling at idle. Before I started cleaning the MAF sensor sometimes my car would stall at idle or the RPMs would drop almost to a stall and then recover.

I am not saying you will continue to have issues, but I am saying that a new harness is not a guarantee. I was planning on cleaning the MAF for 6 months straight, once a month and report my findings on the forum. Hopefully my positive findings continue. It stills pretty ****ty that this problem has not been resolved and probably never will be at this point, but luckily cleaning the MAF is pretty easy.

P.S. Mine is IPS, not sure if manuals really had the same issues or not.

Last edited by Likuid; 05-19-2017 at 01:48 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:34 PM

Garage
Idk about the harness issues, but my stalling at idle seems to have been resolved when I replaced my MAF. The car ran rough for a while, and eventually threw a few codes (mixture rich) that never came back after I cleared them. So obviously the old and new were sending different values to the ECU.

Easy fix for ~$55 via ebay

Toyota part # 22204-31020
Denso part # 197-6110

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:53 PM

Dealer replaced mine, helped for awhile. Maybe 2 or 3 months, but issues started again. Buy yeah, the MAF seems to be common denominator to these issues.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 PM

The dealer in Birmingham MI replaced mine after their diagnostic equipment determined a new wiring harness was needed.

The difference is night and day. The car cold starts with no rough idle or CEL codes. For the first time I can put it in gear and go.

After 3 months and 1000 miles all is good.

2012 IPS Evora 2+0 Starlight Black, 2012 Elantra, 2005 Astro Van
[SOLD]2005 Elise Starlight Black, hardtop, touring pack, Larini Sport Style exhaust.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 PM

Garage
Harness replaced on my 2014 Evora S MT in July 2015. I live the dream since then.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

2014 Lotus Evora S | MT | Chrome Orange/Gloss Black on Ebony 2+2 | Larini Exhaust
2013 Audi TT Roadster | DCT | Oolong Grey on Madras Brown
2012 MB CLS63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | MCT | Black on Black - Gone
2010 MB C63 AMG Kleemann Tuning | Auto | Black on Black - Gone
2008 BMW 550i | MT | Deep Sea Blue on Beige - Gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.