The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Evora 400 Issues Thread

39K views 118 replies 43 participants last post by  lotusquacious 
#1 ·
Hey guys! Overall my new Evora 400 MT has been super awesome, but just wanted to post a few issues I've been dealing with since getting the car just to see if others have been seeing similar things and/or to post issues they've been having. One thing to note that's slightly annoying is that it's Lotus current warrany policy that all claims need approval before any parts are ordered or work is performed so for each of these issues its taken nearly a week just to get a schedule/plan for fixing.

Issues when driving off the lot:

- Telltale Gear Icon Illuminated
Supposedly indicates a non-critical electrical fault or something, anyway, they fixed this fairly quickly at the first service.

- Trunk Release
The manual says that the trunk should open when you hit the trunk open button on the door (once) or the button on the keyfob (3 times), etc. It consistently takes doing either of these options 3-4 times in a row before the trunk actually opens.

- Flickering Door Lock Button
If you enable auto-lock (hold down door lock button for 3 seconds until you hear a beep) and have the windshield wipers going, the red door lock button will flicker.

Issues that came up within 2 months of owning:

- Extremely loud windshield wiper motor
After having it in the shop to fix previously listed issues, now the wipers make a loud screeching/grinding noise when running (so loud it's almost hard to talk if there's a passenger).

- Creaking Suspension?
With any slightly bumpy road or speed bump/hump (which is basically all roads in Seattle) now there's an audible creak.

Anyway, the local service department has been great about working on the issues, but still seems like quite a few for a brand new car that's been out for a while...

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't had issues with the door trunk release, but the manual says to hit the Trunk open twice on keyfob within 3 seconds or something.
I did notice that a few times I had to hit the keyfob button several times more, maybe because pressing too fast, dunno
Also noticed that if i Lock the car first, then use the keyfob trunk release, lifting the trunk open will set off the alarm.

I haven't even tested the wipers yet, but will soon.
I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary about suspension so far, but then again i'm used to driving lowered with extremely loud suspensions

#3 ·
Great idea. I'm brining my 400 to boardwalk Lotus next week. It has 7600 miles. As you know it was one of the demo 400s so the problems I have may be due to its hard life.

Air bag light stays on

Seat bolsters untucking on both front seats

Rattle in the front dash when hitting bumps

Squeaking noise in rear interior

Wipers don't sweep when washer depressed unless headlights are on

Suspension squeaks occasionally.

My trunk did have the same release problem but had seemed to fix itself. However with the car locked, if I release the trunk the alarms too.

Also initially the steering creaked at low speed that seems to also have fixed itself

However I will use this visit to document all the issues.

#23 ·
Update on my issues:
Airbag light reset

Seats fixed/retucked

Squeezing noise was all in front dash area.

Dash was went over and sound/foam tape reapplied to joint areas in contact with body/chassis have quieted noise

Wiper problem fixed

Suspension squeak fixed with lube to roll bar bushings.

However one worrisome issue not fixed is I have developed difficulty shifting into reverse. Adjusting shifter did not address problem. Dealer has kicked is up to Lotus to determine if opening/replacing tranny is next.

In my mind as long as it is documented and driveable it's fine. If or when it breaks it will be fixed.

Picking car back up this weekend!

#4 ·
I have the same trunk issue. Even have to push the trunk release button inside the car several times before it release's. I will have the dealer address it when it goes in for 1200 mile first service.

I have tracked mine already and love it. The car is so well balanced and turns on demand. Now gotta locate some 18" wheels and add some slick's for some real fun.

Sorry to hear you are having a few issues but nothing seems severe. Good luck.

#5 · (Edited)
This is my 1st Lotus, so I am not sure how reliable Lotus vehicles are in general.

In my very low 100 miles of driving my new 400,I have a power window issue.

The drivers window does not close last 1/4" or so.
It just stays in the 1 spot which is not a good.

Not sure what the term is but when I open up passenger door,the window goes down about an Inch and then goes all the way up when I close it.
On the driver door,it doesn't move when I open the door or close it.
Stays the 1/4" or so down from where it should be and where the passenger window is.

The auto-reset does not do anything and it sounds like I need a new actuator from posts I read which I will get when I go for my 1st maintenance.

With this thread there seems to be a lot of issues already popping up on the 400's.
Has anyone bought or looked into extended warranties?

#7 ·
This is my 1st Lotus, so I am not sure how reliable Lotus vehicles are in general.
The engine and drivetrain should be bulletproof, as they're mostly Toyota-based. Electronics are mostly solid, with a few niggles here and there. None of the issues are deal-breakers as far as I'm concerned, but it really comes down to personal tolerance for what one consider issues. Some people expect a car to be perfect 100% of the time, and that's just not possible with any machine. Especially not machines that are hand-built and assembled.

Not sure what the term is but when I open up passenger door,the window goes down about an Inch and then goes all the way up when I close it.
On the driver door,it doesn't move when I open the door or close it.
Stays the 1/4" or so down from where it should be and where the passenger window is.
The auto-drop is normal in frameless door windows. Try resetting both windows from the driver's controls: with both doors closed, key in and turned to the 2nd position (engine doesn't need to be running), press driver window switch down and hold for ~5 seconds. Release and lift switch and hold up for ~5 seconds. Repeat for passenger window. Remove key and open door and see if the window drops. Close door and it should go back up.

If it still doesn't go all the way up, the upper window guide stop might need adjusting.

#6 ·
- Extremely loud windshield wiper motor
After having it in the shop to fix previously listed issues, now the wipers make a loud screeching/grinding noise when running (so loud it's almost hard to talk if there's a passenger).
My S had this - it needed a new wiper motor

A demo I drove way back had the same issue.

#8 · (Edited)
Glad to hear that Lotus have not changed their character or entertainment value. Deff keeps them on my short list for future.

Seriously though, we never had any issue with our 2011 S other than the slowly recurring soft clutch pedal.

#10 ·
That line is funny, but joking aside it doesn't really apply to the modern Lotuses (Elise, Exige, Evora) which have proven to be pretty reliable.

Looks like you have a new 400. How's it been so far?

#11 ·
I've put very few miles on it. It's a pre-release euro model. I got a good deal on it. So far so good. I've owned a few loti. They tend to not be trouble free cars. They do tend to be fun though.
I've also has a 2006 Exige that a built to the gills and a 99 Esprit. Both fun.

#29 · (Edited)
BOE can get you to 330 at the wheels on a NA engine with intake, exhaust, tune and stock internals other then Cams.

#13 ·
Electronics are the weakest link in British vehicles still... not sure why the Brits cant make a wiring harness worth a damn but they cant. 90% of all strange Evora problems are wiring harness related. Mine has been replaced TWICE! The shifting issues the guys are having with the autos, the car stalling at stops, the idle issues, odd throttle response issues. All related to the ECU getting weak signals from the sensors.
Mclarens have electrical gremlins too...almost bought one until a friend talked me out of it. He lives near a dealer so he just deals with the quirks but I do not. I dont live near my Lotus dealer either which has become problematic. Like to get issues fixed while car is under warranty but the dealer is so far away its a nightmare to get it there so unless its something major I just ignore it.

I guess that would be my biggest complaint with owning a Lotus. I understand quirks and issues, all cars have them. But the dealer network is way to small and condensed. Theres 3 dealers within 30min of each other in San Francisco and then no other for 500 miles. Not one in Sacramento, nor Roseville which are large cities with high per capita incomes. They need to spread them out.

Car companies and the people that run them are so confined in thier thinking. I used to work for PCNA and they were the same.
Not sure why but the leaders at the top wont think let alone step outside of the box.

If I ran a small company like Lotus and my goal was to sell more cars, and I'm aware that we have a problem with traditional dealer networking...then its time to step outside of the traditional dealer network model.

You already buy Toyota engines and transmissions so you must have some sort of relationship with Toyota. Make a deal with Toyota to utilize their dealer network for service and repair. You just made owning a Lotus not such a scary proposition for people that dont live near selling dealers.

#14 ·
heres 3 dealers within 30min of each other in San Francisco and then no other for 500 miles. Not one in Sacramento, nor Roseville which are large cities with high per capita incomes. They need to spread them out.
I agree. Niello used to deal in Lotus a while back, but they've since dropped them. If/when you're out of warranty and are looking for a good independent shop, check out Stewarts. They deal with all British makes, in addition to the Italians. Great service and reasonable rates.

You already buy Toyota engines and transmissions so you must have some sort of relationship with Toyota. Make a deal with Toyota to utilize their dealer network for service and repair. You just made owning a Lotus not such a scary proposition for people that dont live near selling dealers.
That's a great idea, but I could see why Toyota wouldn't be in favor of it. Working on the engine and/or drivetrain would be cake for them, but once the gremlins pop up, they'd be like "who made this horrible bundle of wires?" :facepalm

#84 ·
During my factory tour in 2011 I was told that Lotus sources their harnesses out of Japan.

#20 ·
I had the trunk issue which my dealer fixed, along with some VERY minor bubbling of the powder coat on one wheel. Lotus replaced the entire wheel. I wouldn't have even noticed it if the dealership hadn't pointed it out to me. This car has been otherwise flawless and I look forward to driving it every day I can!

#22 ·
I plan on posting a broader opinion on this but I agree with everyone about Lotus service problem. There are plenty of dealerships to sell cars but not enough service locations. If lotus Usa would consider two simple changes it would make a world of difference. 1) consider a central online concierge which you could contact with service woes. That way complaints could be better documented and tracked. 2) allow independent service centers to perform warranty work. The indy places likely have more experience and volume than the dealership in terms of repairs it would make turnaround quicker, limit guesswork and save money for all parties.

#28 ·
FYI: the metal knob i installed has a horizontal set screw on the back of the knob that screws into the shift rod stopping the knob from turning. The knob itself screws onto the shift rod and can be seated fully or somewhat less as I did-perhaps the 400 is the same..........?

#35 ·
The only car Ive ever owned that I was able to increase power by 24% and not feel that I have stepped outside of the capabilities of the stock suspension and brakes.

#32 ·
All these problems with boot latches, door latches, dash squeaks, airbag lights, etc. sound exactly the same as first gen Evoras. At least Lotus is consistent.

#33 ·
That is just what I was thinking as well. This is disappointing in a second gen car. I have the seat bolster untucking issue on my Recaro's. Ironic that it is also happening to the Sparco's. On mine I have to remember to retuck every other time I use the car or it gets to the point where I have to take the whole seat out and use a spudger to push it back in.

#37 ·
I just purchased a silver Evora 400 and love driving it. I have almost 800 miles on it (after 2 weeks). However, today after a day of driving and a refuel, the engine is limiting me to 4000 RPM in any and every setting - normal, sport or race.

Anyone else have this issue?

By the way I also have the trunk release issue

#91 ·
Limited to 4000 RPM - 800 miles

I got my 2018 Evora 400 2 weeks ago, and just hit 800 miles. I too experienced being limited to 4000 RPM. It was a pretty hot day at 81F, and at idle (traffic). My "blue" temp gauge lit up too and cooling fan was kicked on. Is being limited to 4000 RPM a safety design?

#38 · (Edited)
Morning all,

There was a TSB posted some time ago regarding the 'trunk issue' which has been brought up multiple times. We were under the same impression until we read how to properly open it per the TSB. Since any customers or owners who believe they have a problem quickly realize no problem is present if done per the communication. All one needs to do is press once, wait .75 seconds and press again. Works like a charm 99% of the time on every car with every owner since. Most (like we did) press too fast or repeatedly thinking it will engage and does not. Press once, wait, press again. If any adjustment is needed, it's quick and easy to adjust the latching pin to ensure pressure is released when 'popped. In regards to the door button just like the start button, press and hold and should work every time.

Hope this info helps a few owners!

Have a great day!

-Brian

#39 ·
^ I learned this on my own. It's a bit quirky as a feature but it consistently opens the trunk so once you know the trick, it's an issue. Press the bottom button, wait a second, press it again and it opens every time for me. With the interior release it's press and hold. The key fob should be labeled. Figuring out which button to push when is a learning process.

My car lost it's supercharger at 1700 miles due to a seal failure. I posted about this elsewhere so no need to repeat \in detail except to say the repair was completed in five working days. The car runs perfectly now, no sign of oil anywhere. I still have a poor dashboard fit (waiting for parts from Lotus). I had a BT connectivity issue but that was easily remedied. Turned out the mic was plugged into the wrong port on the head unit. Other than that, I can't think of anything else at this time. Car has 2100 miles and I drive it as much as I can. It's very tight and rattle free as it should be with only 2200 miles on the clock.

#41 ·
That's an odd flaw although issues with upholstery seem to be routine. A more typical problem is that the seat covers pull out of their channels. That split in the seat looks like it was started with a knife or razor. That's an easy damage to repair in place in the event the original dealer won't warranty it.

#43 ·
Just took delivery of my 400. Thanks for this thread—got the trunk mechanism worked out thanks to you guys. The key fob is a bit finicky with the double click timing, but the button inside pops it with one push. Just one test drive, but everything seems sorted so far. No rattles, solid as a rock. And the gear shift is revelatory after owning a 2010 and a 2014 S. Just absolutely night and day difference. :smile2:

#44 ·
lotusquacious - that is a really good point and I went and looked at it more closely. That picture makes it look like a cleaner tear than it really is. As far as I can tell, it looks like it tore on the backside (where it is tucked in) and then it spread.

Also, I am positive that no one has been near it with any sharp objects! It is something that must have recently manifested itself because I hadn't seen it and the guy who detailed it a couple of weeks ago didn't see it then, either. I do take passengers in it so maybe someone getting in or out caused it to burst.

It is encouraging that you think it will be a simple repair as 1) closest Lotus dealer is 90 miles away and 2) I have never had any upholstery work done on any of my cars. I think I will get some local estimates and then just eat the cost.

#46 ·
It is encouraging that you think it will be a simple repair as 1) closest Lotus dealer is 90 miles away and 2) I have never had any upholstery work done on any of my cars. I think I will get some local estimates and then just eat the cost.
Not hard to fix, you don't need a dealer. Any leather repairer or good upholstery repair shop can do it or you can try repairing it yourself. Google leather repair in your area and you'll find a number of shops specializing in automotive and home upholstery repair. There are also a number of You Tube tutorials on the process. A tear like yours doesn't require a lot of skill to fix, just some patience and a few easily sourced products. Either way it shouldn't be expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.