Evora 400 numbers - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

7Likes
  • 1 Post By CrimiNOLES
  • 4 Post By nintense
  • 2 Post By Likuid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 numbers

Does anybody know how many 400 already arrived and are available for sale including the manuals?...I thought the 1st shipment was about 100 cars (auto) and in March the shipment of manuals was arriving. I see the same cars so far for the exceptions of a handful of manuals. No more than 25 Evora 400 for sale at all times.

Sorry but I still don't see them selling like hot items as stated by the CEO and the guys of Lotus USA. June is here and according to Lotus they were importing to the US 500 units for 2017. Great car but doesn't seem its getting any love out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 PM

It's really too bad but it seems to follow similar pattern with Exige launch back then - not getting a lot of love until Lotus pull it out of US years later and now becomes almost a collector item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 PM

100K cars aren't for everyone esp the put key in and drive type

16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-->stunning
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
15 Lincoln MKC Reserve Ruby Red, Sand. Sleeper
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Garage
And that's a lot of what we treasure as Lotus people. Just not for everyone. Not really a good poser car.

That's what seems to sell. The APPEARANCE of being racy, a good driver, a bad dude. If I just have more HP or some spec is just slightly better then I am the winner.

Our cars do look cool and are exotic. Get attention. But you need to first be a driver to truly appreciate them.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (Doc Jay has her)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

So, are the 400 going to be "discounted" heavily? I hope so. 500 cars this year and I assume the 2018 models are coming at the end of the year.
winter likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiNOLES View Post
Does anybody know how many 400 already arrived and are available for sale including the manuals?...I thought the 1st shipment was about 100 cars (auto) and in March the shipment of manuals was arriving. I see the same cars so far for the exceptions of a handful of manuals. No more than 25 Evora 400 for sale at all times.

Sorry but I still don't see them selling like hot items as stated by the CEO and the guys of Lotus USA. June is here and according to Lotus they were importing to the US 500 units for 2017. Great car but doesn't seem its getting any love out there.
500 cars sold would be gangbuster sales. Best since 2009.

"Lotus USA Sales All Models

2015 80
2014 140
2013 264
2012 242
2011 230
2010 220
2009 720
2008 2.160
2007 2.604
2006 2.522
2005 2.417
2004 679
2003 96
2002 108
2001 120

*Lotus US sales are estimates. "

2012 Evora S GP Edition 1st of 14
BOE prototype; (Headers & Cera. Cat, CAI, Tune), Larini Sport Exhaust. ***UPDATE*** Sale of this car has been spoken for.

2017 Evora Sport 410 GP Edition 1st of 5, on order. LMS Alloy oil sump will be transferred over, BOE header, BOE development updates will be forthcoming after break in period, maybe even cam updates by next year.

1983/85 Spec RX-7's Misty Blue / Yellow & Black
1994 RX-7 R2 Vintage Red
2016 Miata Club G M
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimiNOLES View Post
So, are the 400 going to be "discounted" heavily? I hope so. 500 cars this year and I assume the 2018 models are coming at the end of the year.
Hope it won't heavily discounted - that's won't help sells in a long run, and won't make a different for a 100k buyers.

What will make a different is good marketing, dealer network, and replacement parts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 AM

Geely will need to address these issues as Priority #1. Even in the era of the 'smartphone", 99% of the auto buying public really isn't that smart. We were all pretty brave buying a car with the thin dealer network. Granted my dealer was 7 miles from my house for the first 2 Lotus.Fortunately even though I now have to drive 75minutes to a dealer, the tech is quite good. Haven't had to see him for 1.5 yrs now which is also a good thing. My Lotus have been more reliable than my last BMW X5 was by far!
Dealers also need to be savvy and learn how to sell these cars. Sales produce sales. Pipedream pricing like my CT dealer uses don't get many, if any sales. See the MSRP, let the typical 2-10% negotiation occur, and make sales. Asking 56000 for a 2011 that never sold is just plain stupid. I told them 3-4 yrs ago to take 50K cash and run, but now they are stuck with a severely depreciated asset.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 AM

Garage
I need to buy a car at the end of the year. 400 would be nice, but for around the same or less money is a 1-2 old Vantage GT in like new condition. It was hard to get parts for my last Evora; I wonder how parts the dealer will stock for the 400? I believe our local dealer has sold 3 400's. They have a gorgeous Orange manual with black interior & wheels as their demo car. Utterly amazing looking. I can't believe that one has reeled in more buyers. I wonder how many have driven it?

2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2015 Volvo S60 T5 E AWD
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM

I think the big issue with a Vantage will be service/repair costs. I put them in same class as a Maserati. Owning is one thing, but being able to afford to keep it running>>>>believe me Aston Martin is my dream car. BTW way to go at Lemans finally!!! Great to see the Vettes rub and lose for a change!!

Last edited by brgelise; 06-20-2017 at 12:22 PM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi View Post
I need to buy a car at the end of the year. 400 would be nice, but for around the same or less money is a 1-2 old Vantage GT in like new condition. It was hard to get parts for my last Evora; I wonder how parts the dealer will stock for the 400? I believe our local dealer has sold 3 400's. They have a gorgeous Orange manual with black interior & wheels as their demo car. Utterly amazing looking. I can't believe that one has reeled in more buyers. I wonder how many have driven it?
IIRC you have been talking about Astons for awhile. Just go ahead and get one to get it out of your system.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
Test drove the 400 again on Saturday. This time the 6 MT. Please remember opinions are just that and this is mine. It's not right or wrong just my opinion. I must also note I did this shortly after having test drove a C63 AMG S Coupe.

The dealership really wanted my opinion and comparison to my 2010. First thing out of my mouth when I got back was "I thought it was going to be faster than it is" The car is nice, easy to get in and out of, the interior finish far better, nice ride but I thought it was going to be a faster car. I was allowed to take it on the Freeway and really open it up and I did till the salesman asked me to slow down. I did a couple of hard launches from stop lights. I like that the brakes didn't grab like mine do but still worked really good. Mine grab hard almost to a fault. They say it's lighter but you can't tell. Its shifts real nice but mine is on par with the new shifter. Really for 100k there is a LOT of really good competition. You really have to be a Lotus nut to want one. They tired hard to sell me, telling me they would give me good money for mine as a trade, owner loyalty, "special financing" etc etc. They know I really want one but not for 100k .............Too much for the car I feel.

Major down falls that affect the Evora 400

1) Lack of dealer network

2) Not as much car and creature features as you can get with other manufacturers for 100k

3) Not as fast as many cars out there for less money.

4) Although better build quality than previous Evoras, still not on par with others manufacturers.

Things in the 400's favor over other cars

1) Great handling car

2) Great brakes

3) Still a drivers car, not so much computer control. Too many fast cars are a numb experience any more.

Like I say, you have to be a Lotus nut to want one, then you have to be willing to fork out the money. I am the first but not the later. I will be keeping my eyes out over the next few years for a good deal on a used 400.

Lastly the only time I used to see Lotus advertise in the US was during F1 races. I don't even see that any more. Maybe since being bought by Greely things will start to turn around. The dealership here in Vegas has big hopes. They figure give it a couple of years and you will start to see major changes in the Lotus brand. They also say they have been selling 3 400's a month this year so that's a good sign. I know 2 of the MT's I saw a couple of weeks ago were gone already. 3 years back when I bought mine they said they were only selling about 3 or 4 a year.

I have hope for Lotus and I feel a am a Lotus kind of guy. Any more I can't imagine not always owning a Lotus.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM

I had a different experience...test drove a 400 while still in the honeymoon phase with my 2011 NA Evora. The 400 quickly made the car I loved feel pedestrian.

I respect your opinion and agree that the dealer (and service) network continues to be an issue. However, I thought that the 400 was sublime!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 03:32 AM
Premium Member

I test drove the 400 several months ago and in comparison to my 2012 S here's the cliff notes:

- MUCH improved gearbox feel

- MUCH MUCH improved exhaust compared to the original exhaust on the S1 although I've got the Plack exhaust on mine.

- overall better driving experience

- slightly better interior quality but not necessarily better interior styling

- more aggressive looks but I absolutely hate the rear on the 400

- better brakes but the S1 has fantastic brakes as well

The test drive only served to confirm my suspicions....I'll be putting my car up for sale as soon as the 400 Roadster makes it's debut in the States.

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
I test drove the 400 several months ago and in comparison to my 2012 S here's the cliff notes:

- MUCH improved gearbox feel

- MUCH MUCH improved exhaust compared to the original exhaust on the S1 although I've got the Plack exhaust on mine.

- overall better driving experience

- slightly better interior quality but not necessarily better interior styling

- more aggressive looks but I absolutely hate the rear on the 400

- better brakes but the S1 has fantastic brakes as well

The test drive only served to confirm my suspicions....I'll be putting my car up for sale as soon as the 400 Roadster makes it's debut in the States.
I test drove both a manual and automatic. My 2013 is IPS.

I pretty much agree with you on everything. Although I never drove an Evora stick before the 400, compared my my Elise it was night and day. Way better.

The automatic I test drove was way faster at shifting in sport manual mode and way better staying in proper gear in full sport auto mode. I never drive my 2013 in full auto unless its a real long trip, I could almost see myself driving in sport auto around town. It was quite a difference.

I never thought the stock exhaust was that bad on the S1, at least not on mine, but after driving with the 400s it now sounds like a sewing machine. Exhaust is one of the nicest V6 exhausts I have ever heard, especially for a stock exhaust.

The steering felt better to me, don't get me wrong the S1 steering is really good, but sometimes I feel there is too much feedback (I know some people like that). The 400 seemed to give more of the feedback I needed to know and less of what I don't. It was also much tighter, just felt better to me.

I agree on interior as well. The quality is better, but aesthetically just looking at it I feel my S1's looks better. However it seemed everything just felt better built in the interior.

Honestly I went back and forth on the looks, until I saw it in person. The front end looks way better than S1 to me and so does the rear, maybe to a lesser extent. I still like the GTE style rear better, but honestly I thought the S1's rear was its weakest design point. Makes the car look smaller than it is and does not really look very aggressive at all.

I went in for a test drive because I was in the area, I walked out agreeing to buy the auto. Don't get me wrong, the stick felt nice, but it was in my least favorite color (racing green), was a demo car, and honestly with how quick shifting the auto was compared to my S1 I was happy. Honestly I was kind of hoping to walk away from the 400 not being impressed, or at least not impressed enough to buy one. I have never bought a new car in my life, but this is first one where I felt it was worth it to me. Plus they gave me good trade-in and what I felt was great deal.

Should be taking delivery next week.
GuppyCaptain and JimHam like this.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Congrats! That's exciting! So what color did you get?

2009 CO Elise SC (R.I.P)
2012 Solar Yellow Evora S
6 spd., 2+2, PB Racing Monza Wheels, Plack Exhaust & one bad ass air freshener
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM

I think it will be time to pull the trigger on a 400 when they have a true DCT type auto that is 100% ready for track duty. Very strong probability of just keeping my S by then as my last of its kind manual to ride into the sunset with.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Congrats! That's exciting! So what color did you get?
Yellow with Black Pack.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Here to learn

Congratulations Likuid. I'm close myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.