The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Evora 400 numbers

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  brightoncorgi 
#1 ·
Does anybody know how many 400 already arrived and are available for sale including the manuals?...I thought the 1st shipment was about 100 cars (auto) and in March the shipment of manuals was arriving. I see the same cars so far for the exceptions of a handful of manuals. No more than 25 Evora 400 for sale at all times.

Sorry but I still don't see them selling like hot items as stated by the CEO and the guys of Lotus USA. June is here and according to Lotus they were importing to the US 500 units for 2017. Great car but doesn't seem its getting any love out there.

#3 ·
100K cars aren't for everyone esp the put key in and drive type

#4 ·
And that's a lot of what we treasure as Lotus people. Just not for everyone. Not really a good poser car.

That's what seems to sell. The APPEARANCE of being racy, a good driver, a bad dude. If I just have more HP or some spec is just slightly better then I am the winner.

Our cars do look cool and are exotic. Get attention. But you need to first be a driver to truly appreciate them.

#6 ·
500 cars sold would be gangbuster sales. Best since 2009.

"Lotus USA Sales All Models

2015 80
2014 140
2013 264
2012 242
2011 230
2010 220
2009 720
2008 2.160
2007 2.604
2006 2.522
2005 2.417
2004 679
2003 96
2002 108
2001 120

*Lotus US sales are estimates. "

#8 ·
Geely will need to address these issues as Priority #1. Even in the era of the 'smartphone", 99% of the auto buying public really isn't that smart. We were all pretty brave buying a car with the thin dealer network. Granted my dealer was 7 miles from my house for the first 2 Lotus.Fortunately even though I now have to drive 75minutes to a dealer, the tech is quite good. Haven't had to see him for 1.5 yrs now which is also a good thing. My Lotus have been more reliable than my last BMW X5 was by far!
Dealers also need to be savvy and learn how to sell these cars. Sales produce sales. Pipedream pricing like my CT dealer uses don't get many, if any sales. See the MSRP, let the typical 2-10% negotiation occur, and make sales. Asking 56000 for a 2011 that never sold is just plain stupid. I told them 3-4 yrs ago to take 50K cash and run, but now they are stuck with a severely depreciated asset.

#9 ·
I need to buy a car at the end of the year. 400 would be nice, but for around the same or less money is a 1-2 old Vantage GT in like new condition. It was hard to get parts for my last Evora; I wonder how parts the dealer will stock for the 400? I believe our local dealer has sold 3 400's. They have a gorgeous Orange manual with black interior & wheels as their demo car. Utterly amazing looking. I can't believe that one has reeled in more buyers. I wonder how many have driven it?

#10 · (Edited)
I think the big issue with a Vantage will be service/repair costs. I put them in same class as a Maserati. Owning is one thing, but being able to afford to keep it running>>>>believe me Aston Martin is my dream car. BTW way to go at Lemans finally!!! Great to see the Vettes rub and lose for a change!!

#20 ·
I can't imagine it being more expensive than it was on my Evora. I was at the dealer at least once a month in the Evora. On top of that, each repair required two visits or more for them to get it right. I think it is the lack of experience working on Evora's for the dealer? I would like to think it was that, not something more dubious... The guys on TLF convinced me to get rid of the car... Would still like a Lotus, just tentative to relive the same experience. I am anticipating discounts on the 400 in 2018 which could sway my opinion. The local dealer has an orange with black wheels manual that is super hot looking.

#12 ·
Test drove the 400 again on Saturday. This time the 6 MT. Please remember opinions are just that and this is mine. It's not right or wrong just my opinion. I must also note I did this shortly after having test drove a C63 AMG S Coupe.

The dealership really wanted my opinion and comparison to my 2010. First thing out of my mouth when I got back was "I thought it was going to be faster than it is" The car is nice, easy to get in and out of, the interior finish far better, nice ride but I thought it was going to be a faster car. I was allowed to take it on the Freeway and really open it up and I did till the salesman asked me to slow down. I did a couple of hard launches from stop lights. I like that the brakes didn't grab like mine do but still worked really good. Mine grab hard almost to a fault. They say it's lighter but you can't tell. Its shifts real nice but mine is on par with the new shifter. Really for 100k there is a LOT of really good competition. You really have to be a Lotus nut to want one. They tired hard to sell me, telling me they would give me good money for mine as a trade, owner loyalty, "special financing" etc etc. They know I really want one but not for 100k .............Too much for the car I feel.

Major down falls that affect the Evora 400

1) Lack of dealer network

2) Not as much car and creature features as you can get with other manufacturers for 100k

3) Not as fast as many cars out there for less money.

4) Although better build quality than previous Evoras, still not on par with others manufacturers.

Things in the 400's favor over other cars

1) Great handling car

2) Great brakes

3) Still a drivers car, not so much computer control. Too many fast cars are a numb experience any more.

Like I say, you have to be a Lotus nut to want one, then you have to be willing to fork out the money. I am the first but not the later. I will be keeping my eyes out over the next few years for a good deal on a used 400.

Lastly the only time I used to see Lotus advertise in the US was during F1 races. I don't even see that any more. Maybe since being bought by Greely things will start to turn around. The dealership here in Vegas has big hopes. They figure give it a couple of years and you will start to see major changes in the Lotus brand. They also say they have been selling 3 400's a month this year so that's a good sign. I know 2 of the MT's I saw a couple of weeks ago were gone already. 3 years back when I bought mine they said they were only selling about 3 or 4 a year.

I have hope for Lotus and I feel a am a Lotus kind of guy. Any more I can't imagine not always owning a Lotus.

#14 ·
I test drove the 400 several months ago and in comparison to my 2012 S here's the cliff notes:

- MUCH improved gearbox feel

- MUCH MUCH improved exhaust compared to the original exhaust on the S1 although I've got the Plack exhaust on mine.

- overall better driving experience

- slightly better interior quality but not necessarily better interior styling

- more aggressive looks but I absolutely hate the rear on the 400

- better brakes but the S1 has fantastic brakes as well

The test drive only served to confirm my suspicions....I'll be putting my car up for sale as soon as the 400 Roadster makes it's debut in the States.

#15 ·
I test drove both a manual and automatic. My 2013 is IPS.

I pretty much agree with you on everything. Although I never drove an Evora stick before the 400, compared my my Elise it was night and day. Way better.

The automatic I test drove was way faster at shifting in sport manual mode and way better staying in proper gear in full sport auto mode. I never drive my 2013 in full auto unless its a real long trip, I could almost see myself driving in sport auto around town. It was quite a difference.

I never thought the stock exhaust was that bad on the S1, at least not on mine, but after driving with the 400s it now sounds like a sewing machine. Exhaust is one of the nicest V6 exhausts I have ever heard, especially for a stock exhaust.

The steering felt better to me, don't get me wrong the S1 steering is really good, but sometimes I feel there is too much feedback (I know some people like that). The 400 seemed to give more of the feedback I needed to know and less of what I don't. It was also much tighter, just felt better to me.

I agree on interior as well. The quality is better, but aesthetically just looking at it I feel my S1's looks better. However it seemed everything just felt better built in the interior.

Honestly I went back and forth on the looks, until I saw it in person. The front end looks way better than S1 to me and so does the rear, maybe to a lesser extent. I still like the GTE style rear better, but honestly I thought the S1's rear was its weakest design point. Makes the car look smaller than it is and does not really look very aggressive at all.

I went in for a test drive because I was in the area, I walked out agreeing to buy the auto. Don't get me wrong, the stick felt nice, but it was in my least favorite color (racing green), was a demo car, and honestly with how quick shifting the auto was compared to my S1 I was happy. Honestly I was kind of hoping to walk away from the 400 not being impressed, or at least not impressed enough to buy one. I have never bought a new car in my life, but this is first one where I felt it was worth it to me. Plus they gave me good trade-in and what I felt was great deal.

Should be taking delivery next week.

#17 ·
I think it will be time to pull the trigger on a 400 when they have a true DCT type auto that is 100% ready for track duty. Very strong probability of just keeping my S by then as my last of its kind manual to ride into the sunset with.

#24 ·
It doesn't look bad at all. Its just out of all the 400 colors its probably one of the lower ones on my list. If I had to have a stick and the price was right I would have considered it.

#26 ·
Car drove great. Had more options than the one I ended up getting. Loved the 400 stick, like I said, if I absolutely needed a stick and liked the color I would have got it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.