Evora 400 vs Aston Vantage V8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

4Likes
  • 1 Post By jlobo941
  • 3 Post By Stuno1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Evora 400 vs Aston Vantage V8

Ok, the thread about the 4C sales compared to the Evora went down to the crap hole. So here is a new one.

Evora 400 vs Aston Martin Vantage V8.

I'm comparing this two cars because they are similar in price and segment, etc. Everybody knows about the Evora 400. On the other hand the Aston Martin Vantage V8 cost about 120k new but you can get a 2014 Vantage V8 manual for 80k with only 3k miles.

So what is your take on this two models? Please refrain from nit-picking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM

Garage
It's a Lotus forum - you're not going to find too many "unbiased" opinions here.

As for my "unbiased" opinion, the Lotus (even the Evora compared to the Elise) is a "Sports car"; the Vantage is a "Grand Tourer" (GT).

You're not going to get knife-edge handling and track-car agility in the Aston. You're going to get refined comfort, and excellent highway cruising. It's a powerful car, it's a REALLY nice car for sure.

Now, it's not a Caddy but, it's also not a Lotus.

Nothing wrong with either but, it depends on what you're looking for in a car.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Garage
I test drove a Vantage V8 on a Friday and then tested a S on Saturday. Bought the S. I guess it depends on what your looking for. The Vantage felt heavy and unresponsive.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:02 PM

Garage
A Vantage is more comparable to a Jag than a Lotus. This is apple and oranges. Definitely not like asking would you like a 4C or an Elise?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:07 PM

YMMV,

The Evora is a Sports Car, no its a GT, no its a Sports Car. Ok, its a pleasant car you can drive coast to coast while really enjoying the twisty bits.

The Aston Vantage is a GT, no... hmm, ok its a really really good GT car. It is entertaining to drive in the twisty, but its a great car to drive coast to coast. I think of the Aston Vantage V8 as a very expensive C6 Corvette. As per the Top Gear test results the Aston is faster than a base C6 Corvette, slower than a Z06, so performance wise its an expensive Corvette. More exclusive than a Corvette but, an English Corvette. The depreciation, however, is painful, as you pointed out.

Not saying a new Lotus is a good investment either.

So.. If depreciation is not an issue for you, the correct choice depends on what you are going to do with the car.

If the drive is a priority over the destination, LOTUS.
If the destination is a priority over the drive, ASTON.
Or if you believe what Peter Egan wrote about motorcycles once (and it applies well to cars also), buy the one that excites you just to look at it.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:12 PM
Less is Better

I own an 4.3 V8 Vantage. It's much more of a serious sports car than @Habious seems to think, with a stiff suspension, great steering response (and feel!) and extremely good balance. It can be hustled along a twisty road with great satisfaction. I can't compare it to an Evora, as I've never driven one, but I can draw some comparisons to my Elise and through it the Evora.

-Only someone who has driven a Vantage would realize how much heft there is to all the controls. It is a very "manly" experience to drive one of these cars. The steering, clutch, shifter, throttle, brakes all take a relatively high effort to operate. Way more force is needed than the Elise, even the steering. I love that about the car, it's elegant and beautiful, which makes you think it would be overly refined or disconnected, but it's absolutely not. I find it more engaging to operate than my last Porsche.
-The sound of the V8 is epic. While I like the throaty sound of a V6, it's just no comparison.
-The Vantage has terrible sight lines. It has a very high cowl and you can't see any of the outside of the car. Lotus did such an incredible job with visibility. You can see the corners of the Lotus, with the nice low, curved windshield, it's so easy to place in a corner. The Vantage is more of an estimate.
-Adding to the difficulties in placement is the fact that the Vantage is really wide, unnecessarily so, IMO.
-The Lotus is going to be much more light on it's feet, the Vantage has 49% of it's weight over the front axle (it's mid-front engined with the entire engine behind the front wheels) and it's significantly heavier, so while steering response is very good, the Lotus will be more willing to change direction.
-The Evora 400 is a bit faster in acceleration than my Vantage, but on the road, it's probably pretty close. The torque from the V8, even in 6th gear, is pretty fun. I'm not sure what the powerband of the 400 feels like, but Elises are much more peaky than the V8 (of course).
-Surprisingly the V8 engine loves to rev. It's great to have a big engine that rushes to redline. The 4.7 has lost some of that, from what I understand.
-Not that you should care, but I get about 11 mpg out of the Vantage, it's not going to win over any Prius owners (yay). I suspect the supercharged V6 in a car that's 500 pounds lighter is probably better.
-Looks are subjective, of course, but IMO, there isn't a better looking car on the road than the Vantage. Everything is so cohesive, elegant and well proportioned. I just love looking at the thing. Another thing about the styling, for as beautiful as it is, people don't come over and gawk at it. I get alot more thumbs up and kids taking pictures of my Elise than I do in the Vantage. I actually like that it doesn't raise attention. I can just go on my (fast) way without being pestered.
-The quality of materials and workmanship in the Vantage are way more upscale than the Lotus. Everything down to how beautiful the paint finish is are items that Lotus just doesn't do.
-I wouldn't argue that it isn't a GT, but I WOULD argue that most "sports cars" today are really GTs.

If I didn't have an Elise (which will need to be pulled from my cold dead hands), and I was looking at the two cars, I'd go for the Evora as I'm sure it's more driving experience focused. For me, I wanted something that would provide a different experience than the Elise.

There's a review that Jason Commisa did on the V12 vantage that really sums up the car nicely (albeit with much more power than mine):

Last edited by me73; 01-11-2017 at 02:58 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:50 PM

The Vantage is much nicer on the inside and more classically pretty but its driving dynamics remind me very much of an M3. It is an excellent car but, on the dynamics front, not in the same league as an Evora IMO.

2009 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 S PDK
2013 Evora NA IPS Nightfall Blue/Oyster
2015 VW Golf GTI DSG APR Stage 1
2015 Alfa Romeo 4C Eurocompulsion Stage 2
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 05:41 PM

I couldn't in good conscience drop $120k on the V8 when the V12 can be had for another $60k, but then I wouldn't want an Aston at all for almost $200k, so I vote 2015 Hurican HAHA
jhentr likes this.

2014 Lotus Evora S IPS, 2015 Jaguar XJL Supercharged, Maserati Cambiocorsa 396WHP 11.23@127 on DOTs, Porsche Cayenne Turbo S 625WHP 11.7 on muddy all terrains, Honda CRX SWFC 600WHP 10.66@137 on drag radials, Honda S2000 Turbo 700WHP 10.88@131 on RS3's, Honda S2000 SCCA NA ITB 300WHP, Land Rover Defender 90 TDI.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 PM

The Evora is a GT AND a sports car. Sat in mine for a 5 hour stint on a recent drive the the Nurburgring with no issues what so ever. The suspension is a thing of pure genius. It soaks up bumps on drives and is stiff enough to keep the car very planted when pressing on.

The v8v is dated inside imo and performance wise is similar to a Evora s. A few U.K. Owners have moved from v8 to Evora and haven stayed the suspension in the v8 stiffer and less compliment than the evora. It is a beautiful can and feels more premium. While the v8 can do sports cat duty it is more of a GT with the Evora being the other way around. Also, you can tune the s to 460hp so if speed is your thing then the Evora trumps the v8.

As a package I truly don't believe here is a better car than the Evora for:
- price
- practicality (kids in the back or storage and a boot big enough for a set of golf clubs)
- handling and steering feel for gt and track duty
- maintenance costs
- tunability
- rarity and exotic feel
phaphaphooey, JimHam and Exira like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM

There is a similar thread started about a year ago with plenty of good info on this topic:
Deciding on another car
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:00 AM
not your dad's puns

When I grow up, I plan on getting an AMV - haven't decided on V8 or V12.

I really like the fact that they use a construction on the chassis, similar to Lotus, i.e. bonded aluminum.

because racecar
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post

I really like the fact that they use a construction on the chassis, similar to Lotus, i.e. bonded aluminum.

It's no coincidence since Lotus was commissioned to help develop Aston's VH platform

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspecgsx View Post
I test drove a Vantage V8 on a Friday and then tested a S on Saturday. Bought the S. I guess it depends on what your looking for. The Vantage felt heavy and unresponsive.
This is decidedly how I felt about the Vantage V8 as well when I test drove it while cross-shopping for my car... sounded nice and beautiful and sexy. But when it came down to actual driving, it felt heavy and unresponsive. The closest thing to the Evora for me was the Jag F-Type, and in fact I was days from finalizing on the F-Type when I decided for second test drive of the Evora, and ended up with the Evora the same afternoon as that second test drive. Next level up from the Evora for me would be the McLaren570s. This will be my next goal in a couple of years from now.

I was also planning on cross-shopping a Maser Gran Turismo against that V8 Vantage, but never got the chance since I was dead set on the Evora.

"According to astronomy, when you wish upon a star you're actually a few million years too late... that star is dead, just like your dreams."

1983 Toyota Cressida
1995 Honda Civic LX
2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2007 Pontiac Solstice Roadster
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2009 Mercedes Benz 350 SLK Roadster
2013 Lotus Evora IPS

Last edited by zymotix3; 01-11-2017 at 09:10 AM.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM

I own an Elise. I've rented a Vantage and recently a friend let me drive his Vantage briefly.

The interior quality of the Vantage is way better than the Elise. The Vantage feels very heavy and solid. It seemed quite fast too.

I prefer my Elise though because of the "looks" it gets and the "raw" driving dynamics. Another thought is that if you peel away the notoriety of the Bond films, the Vantage really becomes just another nice premium sedan.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
It's an ok car but you absolutely must get a manual as the auto is horrible. I rate it above the F-Type S but below my old Evora S, see link in my sig for full thoughts and what else I test drove before buying the 400.

2016 Lotus Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara | full test drive list
2014 Lotus Evora SR | Aspen White | SOLD
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Less is Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopun View Post

I do feel a little kinship when I see the orange glue in the engine bay. People are impressed when I point out that it's the same process that Lotus uses on their chassis.

The chassis of the Aston is very, very stiff, even the convertibles are noted for rigidity. Unfortunately, all the poshness and stiffness comes at the cost of a 3600 pound curb weight.

When you poke around the car and see things like everything being held together with big steel torx screws, the machined dry sump cap and dip stick and they have these awesome, but heavy machined caps on all the taillight hardware, the mass of the car is understandable. Even the wheel wells are lined with sound deadening.
Attached Images

Last edited by me73; 01-11-2017 at 04:11 PM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
I do feel a little kinship when I see the orange glue in the engine bay. People are impressed when I point out that it's the same process that Lotus uses on their chassis.

The chassis of the Aston is very, very stiff, even the convertibles are noted for rigidity. Unfortunately, all the poshness and stiffness comes at the cost of a 3600 pound curb weight.

When you poke around the car and see things like everything being held together with big steel torx screws, the machined dry sump cap and dip stick and they have these awesome, but heavy machined caps on all the taillight hardware, the mass of the car is understandable. Even the wheel wells are lined with sound deadening.

That's because Aston liked the Bonded frame so much they asked Lotus to help them design it. Jag did the same thing.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 AM

I owned a vantage S roadster and an Evora S. Liked them both. I would agree with the majority of prior comments.

Aston is a sports car. I expected more of a GT, but was pleasantly surprised with the chassis and overall feel of the car. Design and quality of the Aston is considerably superior in my view. I love Lotus cars, have owned 4 of them, but I love them for what they are: unique, handling, steering, but they always do feel a bit "tacked" together. The Aston didn't feel particularly fast and the weight is evident, but oh my the sound!!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 AM

I'm lucky enough to own both a 11na evora and a 12 AM vantage. I drive and have tracked both regularly. They are both great cars but if I had to pick one (though similar to having to pick a favorite child) I would go with the Evora. Though the vantage is stunningly beautiful Rock solid, handles amazingly and sounds incredible, the evora does just about everything better(except for the sound). At the track the Aston is a blast but still even in a HP favorable course the Evora averages 5-10 seconds faster. The suspension gods from Hethel really have designed a masterpiece. Over the 4 years that I daily drove my evora I took for granted how truly phenomenal the suspension was and how it remained settled in every situation.
The AM does do better in overall build quality and dependability though it only has 20k miles and my evora is now pushing 50K. The first 20 k miles of evora ownership were challenging but since then it has been pretty solid.
As I walk into my garage every day and try to decide which car to take its like trying to decide which supermodel to sleep with, I cant believe how lucky I am.
I haven't driven a Evora 400 yet but if it handles like its predecessor and with an extra 115 hp I would hands down take it over a vantage.

2011 Quartz silver NA Evora
2012 Aston Martin Vantage
2000 FFR Cobra replica
2014 RR sport
2008 Miata
2008 F350
2006 Mini S
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMD View Post
I'm lucky enough to own both a 11na Evora and a 12 AM vantage. I drive and have tracked both regularly. They are both great cars but if I had to pick one (though similar to having to pick a favorite child) I would go with the Evora.
I can't imagine getting a much more definitive answer than this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMD View Post
As I walk into my garage every day and try to decide which car to take its like trying to decide which supermodel to sleep with, I cant believe how lucky I am.
First-world problems. Ain't it great?

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.