Evora clutch replacement ($9,000) and the supercharger - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Evora clutch replacement ($9,000) and the supercharger

While getting my new a/c unit, dash board trim, and Lotus sport exhaust installed today, I asked my local dealer if it's true a clutch replacement was a $8,000 job. I don't need a new clutch but just saw some threads here about the cost of a clutch replacement. New Evora owners should take note of that, btw.

He confirmed it would be around $9,300 for a clutch replacement as the engine needed to be removed.

So, here's what I'm thinking. The majority of the $9,000 for labor. I've been quoted about $16,500 for the Lotus Racing supercharger and this includes installation.

So, if I ever needed a new clutch, wouldn't it make sense just to go the supercharger route and while the work was being done, upgrade the clutch? The way I see it is that you've spent $9,000 to keep your Evora as it was originally was. At that point, add another $7-8K and you have an S and a new clutch.

$8-$9K for a clutch replacement. Yikes!!!
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
$8-$9K for a clutch replacement. Yikes!!!
Sometimes I wake up at 4AM in a cold sweat screaming those words.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
Sometimes I wake up at 4AM in a cold sweat screaming those words.
I know. One reason I made this thread was just to get the word out. That's something new and potential Evora owners need to know. If, if you ever get rear ended and the calm needs to come off, get a new clutch while you're at it.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Even with the extreme amount of work required to r&r the whole drivetrain, $9k seems excessive. The service manuals estimates 30 hours. Surely your labor rates are not that high.

donour

Last edited by donour; 01-25-2013 at 12:13 PM.
donour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
KCZ

My impression is that the Lotus service manual underestimates the time required for any repair by quite a bit. And I don't think that has anything to do with the diligence of my service techs.
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

True, clam off jobs alone (and my Evora saw a few, all under warranty) are underestimated. But a good dealer won't overcharge and compromise on price. Mine never let me down, rewarded by loyal customers.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to remove the clam and have it installed back is a 6-8 hour job by itself. Pulling the engine out is another 40 Hours.At least that's what I paid when I had my supercharger installed. By the way if you do the supercharger kit, upgraded clutch and flywheel is part of it so it will be replaced anyways.
ramtin1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Ramtin. Good to know it's part of the supercharger kit package. Funny now I try to justify a supercharger because of clutch replacement costs.

Also, my local dealer is at $145 per hour. So, that $9000 bill is around 60 hours.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

$145/hr... and they wonder why no one goes there
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Most good shops actually charge very close to that price. $125 an hour these days is the average price for a good shops that know what they're doing. There are people that charge far less than that and they might be really good too but they're not easy to find.
ramtin1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

$145 an hour out here too at the dealer though they do a great job.

Clutch job is something I am not looking forward to..and although it doesn't seem like it is an every 20k job like we were worried about early on, it still seems like it will be much more often than a normal car
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:42 AM   #12 (permalink)

At 8 hours of labor, at 145 an hour, I am smelling an opportunity for someone to make a "clam hinge" or a quick-clam removal kit for the Evora. Can the clutch be replaced like it is on the Elise? By virtue of removing driver side wheel and suspension, then pulling the transmission towards the missing wheel?
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
I see this as the main reason the Evora has not sold well. Sorta hard to shift and very significant problem with any needed service.

The dollar amount is only a part of the problem. In real life, a clutch replacement will involve having your baby dismantled and setting in pieces all over some dusty garage for weeks while the parts are mingled in with stuff like KFC drink cups and parts for other cars. That nice new car smell will be replaced with all that. And you could never reassemble her as well as they did in Hethel.

Would realize some weight loss though from the box of "extra" parts you'd get in the end

I am in no way saying that Lotus service techs aren't great or anything just that in real life that's how it usually (always?) works out. How many techs in the US have done this job more than twice? What dealership has the kind of space for such a job? And what shop could devote their resources to this one job? A dozen others would go on simultaneous stretching this out for many weeks or worse. Add in parts availability and you might forget what the car looked like by the time you ever drove her again.

And once she's back that driving experience might be tainted by fear of a repeat.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

9k F that I guess they would find my car at the bottom of a lake. I hope it sinks
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

9K is f*&king ludicrous! Part of the reason I steered clear of buying a F355 is that I didn't want to give Ferrari the satisfaction of ripping yet another customer off on parts. Along with that comes the every 3-5 year belt replacement that requires pulling the engine thus an 8K bill. A brake job if I remember correctly was like 3 grand.

Obviously I'm NOT happy to hear that a clutch job is supposedly that much on an Evora. That's just ridiculous. Okay, so can those of you that have had to get a new clutch outside of warranty please chime in with what the cost was and just as importantly how much mileage your Evora had when the clutch $%@^ to bed? Also, was it tracked?
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Premium Member

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on here (or perhaps it was on LotusPals) about a guy in North Jersey named Ralph at Lotus RS Motorsports. Apparently he's really good at what he does. I wonder if he wouldn't be a more reasonable option for us guys in the CT, MA, NJ, NY, and PA area?
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #17 (permalink)

Well there goes my plans on getting an Evora, what a joke!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
How many techs in the US have done this job more than twice? What dealership has the kind of space for such a job?
My local dealership did mention they have never done a clutch replacement, however, they did mention they did a transmission replacement. Fortunately, most of my dealings with my local dealership is for warranty services. The only things I've paid for are for intake and exhaust install. Now, when I'm out of warranty, well, I doubt I'll still keep this car by then.

If I had to get a new clutch, the only independent shop I'd trust is VSA Motors in Los Angeles, CA -even if it means trailing my Evora there. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dealership and they have great customer service. But VSA has extensive experiences on Evoras. These are the guys who did Ramtin's supercharger install and have worked on their own Evora race car. So, I'm quite sure they have more experience with major jobs than my local dealership. http://www.vsamotorsports.com/

On a side note, please remember the $9,000 is a dealer quote. If the we apply their $145 hourly x the expected 30 hours for the job, you're looking at $4,350 plus the price of the clutch. So, maybe a $5,000 or $6,000 job max? In retrospect, I wonder if my dealer used the time they spent on that transmission replacement as a basis for their quote.

Could anyone post up the section of the service manual that states 30 hours? I think that maybe helpful when owners need to contact their shop for clutch replacement.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 01-26-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
If I had to get a new clutch, the only independent shop I'd trust is VSA Motors in Los Angeles, CA -even if it means trailing my Evora there. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dealership and they have great customer service. But VSA has extensive experiences on Evoras. These are the guys who did Ramtin's supercharger install and have worked on their own Evora race car. So, I'm quite sure they have more experience with major jobs than my local dealership. VSA Motorsports | Lotus Racing and Service
I would 2nd that idea. I was there for a cam replacement and re-shim, Alen and Stephan know lotus cars (at least the new ones) incredibly well.
I should have taken a picture, but they had ordered a new frame and were about to do a swap/replacement for a customer, that is a lot of work and knowledge to do that.
And there GT4 is cool as well

AJ
Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

I like your logic.
abechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora